Lower GPU voltage for stable OC?

asim1999

Currently got my GPU voltage at +80mV, should i reduce it as i have been having my system crash and my GPU crash? will this help with stabilising my overclock?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

No, taking the OC back a bit should help. +240MHz is quite a lot, so it may be worth taking it back until it's stable. 

OCs become unstable when they don't get enough power, they won't use extra power and crash if they don't need to. 

No, reducing voltage will not reduce or remove crashing. Pull back on the overclock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, taking the OC back a bit should help. +240MHz is quite a lot, so it may be worth taking it back until it's stable. 

OCs become unstable when they don't get enough power, they won't use extra power and crash if they don't need to.

+240 is nothing for any maxwell card. Most can do over 300

+240 is nothing for any maxwell card. Most can do over 300

I've seen several reference cards max out at around +170. 

Even if +240 is nothing, it does seem to be too much for his card. 

It survived 2 tests of valley at 45mV no problem with temps not going above 74 degrees. Tried 250 at 50mv but PC restarts

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

The voltage is usually not the issue with the GM204 GTX980 chip. And anyways just because you raise the slider up to +80mV doesn't mean the card does this. Your standard BIOS is locked. So you'd have to use a modded BIOS to get more than the lock.

Most GTX980s won't OC more in the first place, given that cooling and power is sufficienlty given, because of their ASIC and TDP. I modded all 3 BIOS of my cards and the TDP raise made a big difference. Of course at a certain point you need to remove the lock of the voltage as well and remove the boost lock.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling