Project Sandyland

Hi Guys,

I'm going all out with a new Hackintosh build which will be primarily used for video production and gaming. It's an overkill build but fortunately I got lucky enough to go a bit wild with my budget.

I've based the build off the Tonymacx86 site... can anyone see where there may be a problem with the build?

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150

CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid

Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133

Storage - Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" SSD (<-- dual partition to boot both ios and windows)

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM (for storage)

Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE

Case - Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower

Power Supply - SeaSonic 860W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive - Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1

Monitor - Asus PA279Q 27.0"

I'd be glad to hear any and all thoughts on this build and definitely open to criticism.

Cheers,

Fosco

Hackintosh gaming

pick one man ^^ that's the problem I see with this build. If you plan on dual booting windows then it's great. 4tb drives have pretty high failure rates though, you might want to consider 2 2tb drives instead.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

OOOoooo dayum what's your budget I. Want to have a stab at this on ;)

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

Looks fine but your overspending on some of the parts id say unless doing lots of overclocking

It's overspending whether the system would be oc'ed or not. 

What's the system being used for? Why not post a pcpartpicker permalink?

Dominator Platinums are a waste of money. Is the bluray drive really necessary?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's overspending whether the system would be oc'ed or not. 

What's the system being used for? Why not post a pcpartpicker permalink?

Dominator Platinums are a waste of money. Is the bluray drive really necessary?

I was talking about the motherboard and CPU cooler. Dont forget, I'm dumb :D

Steve

Was expecting a sandybridge....

And you are spending a lot of money.

What's wrong with windows 8.1? Good for production and gaming.

System: Thinkpad T460

It's OS X, not iOS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wow you guys are fast! :-)

Ok replying on my phone so if I miss anyone I'll try and respond when I get back to a pc.

The build is for a number of reasons. I fell in love with Lupos custom sleeving and the whole making the insides of a pc look awesome. That's where the dominators come in, yes they're expensive but they look fantastic. Like I said I got lucky with a ridiculous budget for the build $5k...

I'm also dual booting as most of my house is apple, the ease of multimedia networking was too good to pass up. Not that it doesn't come with its own problems, but I'm so far down that track that I'm cool with the good and bad. Also, I'm interested in the challenge of building a pc that's also a Mac. I work on a PC at work so can continue with work stuff at home. But can also control my media world as well.

The build is also to do a lot of video editing. I have hours and hours of HD GoPro footage to create with. The BluRay is mostly so I can rip my BluRay collection. It's not that expensive so worth being able to get my bluray vids into my media collection.

Thanks for the advice on the 4TB drives! I'm thinking about setting up a raid 10 config down the track so a series of 2TB drives?

Without being able to see all of the threads on this phone I hope I've answered everyone's questions...

Cheers,

Fosco

Oh that's right, Sandy Bridge... Though that might happen. Sandyland is the name I use for all my devices and medics centre. They're all SandySomething. :-)

Thanks Godlygamer... Had a brainfart... It is Monday morning after all! ;-)

Thanks Godlygamer... Had a brainfart... It is Monday morning after all! ;-)

It's Sunday here on the East Coast. No problem.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5k... I can work with that

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

I'm in the land down under. 11am at my desk at work. Should be working but this is more fun!!

Laputacake, yes I'll be overclocking...

Well, I'm on my phone too so I can't make a list, but I'd day spend less on your motherboard, RAM (yes it looks pretty but so is other much cheaper ram and just because you have a massive budget doesn't mean you need to fill it.), go for the h105(thicker rad so better cooling) and of you need any help whilst installing mac os I'll try to help.

Steve

Thanks laputacake... Any suggestions on the ram and motherboard that will play well with os x? I picked the mobo from tonymac recommendations list.

Will change up the cooling as there's definitely room in the case.

Just looked up the cooling... The h110 runs quieter at the cost of 10 bucks more and a further 40mm in length. Any reason not to go the extra mile?

OK so i've taken on board everything everyone has to say and come up with a slightly different build...

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Skid_Mk_II/saved/GLB48d

Oh, I just came across this thread again and noticed you bought pretty much everything already.

As for why you didn't get much feedback.. You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oh, I just came across this thread again and noticed you bought pretty much everything already.

As for why you didn't get much feedback.. You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

OK, thanks for replying anyway. :-) Looking forward to building this...