Win 7 -> Win 8

Ghost
Damn.

I'm back to windows 7.

I will do a write up about why and my experience later. I will try to keep switching between 7 and 8 but I will probably stick with 7.

A few main points would be:

- Inability to end process' in Task Manager. I am left feeling like an idiot while windows tries to determine the issue when I know it can't. You can End Task in 8 but everyone knows how ineffective that is.

- I wish I could install Start8 on Windows 7. It is so much better than the Start menu.

- 8 tends to dislike running programs and games. More about that in the write up.

- My main issue is I am left feeling powerless in windows 8. I have no control over what happens in my PC. I would feel the PC is in danger if I tried to overclock on 8.

- No windowed Skype program in Win 8.

(Ironically this was post 666 for me)

Another point: - Programs don't launch on start up very well on windows 8. Or maybe they do, there's no way of checking. >.<

1) go to the tab 'details', don't ask me why the don't call it a process anymore :p

2) /

3) /

4) Am on a 24/7 OC and Windows 8 seems to love it. It took me too about two weeks to get the hang of it, but I feel at home now (basically the classic shell from ninite turned my win8 in a stupid fast win7

5) Install skype through Ninite.com... Problem solved ;)

Damn.

I'm back to windows 7.

I will do a write up about why and my experience later. I will try to keep switching between 7 and 8 but I will probably stick with 7.

- Inability to end process' in Task Manager. I am left feeling like an idiot while windows tries to determine the issue when I know it can't. You can End Task in 8 but everyone knows how ineffective that is.

- I wish I could install Start8 on Windows 7. It is so much better than the Start menu.

- 8 tends to dislike running programs and games. More about that in the write up.

- My main issue is I am left feeling powerless in windows 8. I have no control over what happens in my PC. I would feel the PC is in danger if I tried to overclock on 8.

Another point: - Programs don't launch on start up very well on windows 8. Or maybe they do, there's no way of checking. >.<

That's an epic screenshot fail hahah. What process were you trying to end??

Damn.

I'm back to windows 7.

Speedfan as I know it just doesn't work on 8. Keeps crashing for me.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

yes and for desktops it sucks bawls.

my file server -> freaking fantastic (however that is BSD not linux).

my HTPC -> Freaking great, light weight enough that i can play 1080p 3d videos with no framerate hit, where as if windows was installed it would skip every second frame.

phones? fantastic also.

/thread (in terms of gamer toms comment).

Ghost: you still have end process, Ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager, click details then right click on the process you want to end. done.

Ghost: you still have end process' date=' Ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager, click details then right click on the process you want to end. done.[/quote']

Yeah I realized after I posted after like 10 people told me. Its still not good that they renamed it details and called it "End Task" not end process.

Also look at my pic somewhere far back where it shows it just saying "access denied" when I tried to end process.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Hey, I put Win 8 on my girlfriend's new computer. I've noticed when playing games that are full-screened, alt tabbing takes an unusually long time. There's no SSD in her machine, but it was definitely much faster in Win 7. Can you at some point report on whether this happens on your machine? Thanks in advance. :)
This is actually not a problem that will be solved by throwing more money at it, be it in the form of SSDs or RAM, however copious in abundance, because the bottleneck lies elsewhere.

For whatever reason, using DirectX 11 in Win8 only allows certain games a 59.9hz refresh rate where it would be 60hz on Win7. I'm not sure if this is an Nvidia-specific or even HDMI-specific anomaly. All I know is DX9 allows for 60hz on both OS's and DX11 allows for 60hz on Win7 only.

When the game is at 59.9hz and Windows system settings are at 60hz, the alt-tabbing takes several full seconds, whereas dropping the Windows system settings down to 59hz makes the alt tabbing very quick. Results are the same with Vsync both on and off.

When skimming I felt your had schizophrenia towards yours OS. I personally like Windows 8 even though it doesn't have a start menu, but now that its gone i realize how much i don't use it.

When skimming I felt your had schizophrenia towards yours OS. I personally like Windows 8 even though it doesn't have a start menu' date=' but now that its gone i realize how much i don't use it.[/quote']

Schizophrenia(/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfrniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by poor emotional responsiveness.[1] Common symptoms include auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarredelusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction.

I rarely make replies like this but please think before you post.

You might want to use a better choice of words next time.

Why not dual boot it so you can switch between

Honestly my only problem is metro UI or whatever they call it

I like the look of the normal desktop more and how it works but UI ruins it for me, so when they give us an option to loose the UI then I will switch

but I love it more then 7 so far OTHER then the UI :/

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Why not dual boot it so you can switch between Honestly my only problem is metro UI or whatever they call it I like the look of the normal desktop more and how it works but UI ruins it for me' date=' so when they give us an option to loose the UI then I will switch but I love it more then 7 so far OTHER then the UI :/ [/quote']

Dual booting is pointless. Either go with one or the other. Only way dual booting works is if you have a program that can only run on one of the OS's.

I am using Win 7 on my main machine, but I have Win 8 on my laptop for school. For the sole purpose of using it for light actions and/or little gaming, I think Win 8 is perfect. I like the Modern (metro) interface, but also the "normal" desktop. If you get known to the keyboard short cuts, it really is a breeze to use.

I have had zero issues with Win 8 so far, but I will stick with Win 7 for my main machine, though :)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!