First build boot issues

bchampion96

Hi guys,

Just wired up my first build. I can get the system to boot into the BIOS and that works just fine. However, when i exit the BIOS, it won't boot to Windows.

System specs:

asrock z77 extreme4

intel core i5 2500k

samsung 840 series SSD

should be all you need but do ask if you want more.

The OS has been tested in a laptop and in an old desktop and it works just fine. I heard that changing motherboards, chipset, and CPU architecture all at once can cause issues as the OS was installed on the aforemetioned latop.

Needing urgent help!

Thanks in advance!

edit* I'm getting b2 a2 a4 and a6 post error codes. After googling, I still have no idea what they mean. One is related to IDE, WTF??

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Aside from the SSD, are there any other drives in your setup?

Is it a blank SSD that you're trying to install on or is it from another system? The way you've worded it makes it sound like you've taken an SSD out of another system and just slapped it into this one. If so, you're best just copying anything of importance off it before wiping it and doing a fresh install.

Sorry I can't be of much help with the error codes; the ASRock website has their manuals to download weirdly so I can't open it on an iPad :(

You need to do a clean install of OS and check your SATA mode in BIOS is set to AHCI mode before you install you OS.

Hmm, I have no experiences with errors, but there's one possibility you are getting the IDE related error. My understanding is that you've taken a boot drive from your laptop and plugged it into your motherboard in hopes to boot into windows. Your boot drive might be formatted in AHCI mode and your motherboard is set to IDE mode which could be a reason why you're getting the error, or vice versa. Also, you might not be booting into windows because it has detected a bunch of hardware changes and that causes problems.

If you have important data, I would suggest installing the boot drive back into the original laptop you took it out of and back up your data before messing around with the boot drive. Once you've backed up the data, you can plug it back in your new setup and do a fresh install of your OS.

Thanks guys. I posted this on another forum and got the same recommendations, so I'm confident I know how to proceed, thanks! :) I worded it poorly so, I used a laptop to install the OS onto the SSD and i could boot off it with another system. Thanks for all your help and giving me the confidence to proceed! :)

Thanks guys. I posted this on another forum and got the same recommendations, so I'm confident I know how to proceed, thanks! :) I worded it poorly so, I used a laptop to install the OS onto the SSD and i could boot off it with another system. Thanks for all your help and giving me the confidence to proceed! :)
Mainly because of differing motherboards,this doesn't tend to work. Asus system to Asus system will most of the time work but Asus to Asrock normally doesn't :)

Tis all sorted now. Currently doing my fresh install and I've got around the korean issue :P