New to folding!

Evening Peeps of LTT,

Basically I just wanted to say hello! I'm really new to this folding thing and I get giddy whenever I see a WU getting completed!

I recently started folding after I realized that no matter how much electricity I use here in Uni, I still get charged the same base price! Also, I wanted my rig to give something back while I go to bed. (Not every night though, perhaps 3 times a week)

I also wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I've reduced the max power% limit on my GTX 770 to 65%--this gives me a solid 63Celsius reading throughout the folding cycle. Will this help mitigate long term damage to my GPU?
  2. I've done 60+ WUs for the LTT team, does this mean I'm eligible for the contributor badge?
  3. What advice do you have for a first time folder like me?

Thanks for viewing my post!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

first and foremost, welcome to the team!

1. That is a good temp, i wouldn't worry about damaging the gpu anyway, especially not when folding a few times a week.

2. It does indeed! @Whaler_99

3. Stay cool.

first and foremost, welcome to the team!

1. That is a good temp, i wouldn't worry about damaging the gpu anyway, especially not when folding a few times a week.

2. It does indeed! @Whaler_99

3. Stay cool.

Thank you! I'm glad to contribute! Do we have any rival teams to gloat over? Lol.

So basically keep my components cool; gotcha. I wanted to fold more and more as I get more comfortable with it. Do you think 63c would be fine for nightly foldings?

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Thank you! I'm glad to contribute! Do we have any rival teams to gloat over? Lol.

So basically keep my components cool; gotcha. I wanted to fold more and more as I get more comfortable with it. Do you think 63c would be fine for nightly foldings?

welkomm ^.^

also for temps i had my 2 r9290x's folding at temps of 95c 24/7.... but that was with the refrence cooler and now i have them liquid cooled and they dont go above 55c while folding.... your temps will be fine for all night folding... my old temps not so much lol...

oh yeah and happy folding ^.^

welkomm ^.^

also for temps i had my 2 r9290x's folding at temps of 95c 24/7.... but that was with the refrence cooler and now i have them liquid cooled and they dont go above 55c while folding.... your temps will be fine for all night folding... my old temps not so much lol...

oh yeah and happy folding ^.^

Woah 95c constantly? Okay, definitely going to try nightly folding!

Thanks man, glad to be folding with you all!

my gtx970 is folding 24/7 at 70+*C if that makes you feel more confident/relaxed ;)

yeah i dont recommend doing 95c 24/7 like i did thats why i moved to some closed loops on the cards and soon a full custom loop... but 70-75 should be fine... technicly the cards are rated for up to 105ish unless thats changed but i still like staying undewr 80 at very very max.

Sorry for being a n00b, but what is folding?

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

Read the stickies in this section

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

my gtx970 is folding 24/7 at 70+*C if that makes you feel more confident/relaxed ;)

yeah i dont recommend doing 95c 24/7 like i did thats why i moved to some closed loops on the cards and soon a full custom loop... but 70-75 should be fine... technicly the cards are rated for up to 105ish unless thats changed but i still like staying undewr 80 at very very max.

Sounds good. Yeah my cards are hovering around the 60-65c mark. Will try to catch up with you all on points lol.

Basically using your CPU/GPU to fold proteins--thus, helping the medical field learn more about diseases and conditions.