Dell Customer Support

Dell's customer support experience so far has been one of the worst ever.  My warranty is now a month up, but that is because I have had so much trouble contacting them.  I call them, they say I called the wrong department, and then they give me a different number to call.  Then I repeat that one or two times with the new number they give me with the same result, but with new excuses.  "Oh, we service everything but CPU's in this department", "We only service Dell computers, not Alienware", their robot system that works 1/10 times, or their accents being way to strong to remotely understand.  When I finally did connect to them, they would tell me bogus excuses why my computer kept crashing and how to fix it, "It seems your CPU and GPU aren't working properly, try buying a new one and see if that fixes it.  If it doesn't, call us back", "Your operating system is not supported, buy Windows 7 because it came with your computer" I told them that my computer came with Windows 8 but it was having the same issues then, and that is why I tried Windows 10 Technical Preview, but they said, "No, listen to me, you must buy what came with your computer, which is Windows 7".  They told me a ton of other basic stuff to try and did their signature, let me control your computer to figure out the problem.  He started randomly clicking things that had nothing in common whatsoever to what was wrong with my computer.  Then he "lost connection", but my computer actually crashed.  He wouldn't listen to me when I told him that was what I am trying to fix.  When we finally "finished", his conclusion was that my CPU is overheating and needs to be replaced.  That makes sense, but when I was reconnected to the agent that I email, she told me that it was because my operating system was not supported.  

I am so confused about what I am supposed to do with my computer.  They keep giving me contradicting opinions about what is wrong with it.  Which agent should I listen to?  Should I try getting a new CPU, or re-buy the operating system that apparently 'came with my computer', Windows 7, or get what actually came with my computer, Windows 8.  Would it just be worth it to sell my computer and upgrade to a new system instead?  Sorry for the long article, but I wanted to give my whole story.   Thanks in advance for any feedback.  

Yeah it's very known to be the worst.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I use Dell's live chat all the time (online stuff) for older Dells (like mine, which was put into use in '05 and the warranty expired in '09). Never had a problem.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yeah it's very know to be the worst.

I think you meant "known". ;):)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Dell customer service is indeed horrible. I ordered an XPS 12 on Black Friday and they kept pushing back the delivery date until they said the 12th of January.

I cancelled my order and now have to wait for the item to be shipped back to China, and then wait another 10 business days to get the refund. So they will have held my £880 for 2 months in total. No way to speed up the refund process, at all.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I use Dell's live chat all the time (online stuff) for older Dells (like mine, which was put into use in '05 and the warranty expired in '09). Never had a problem.

The Dell experience varies per person. LOL

I think you meant "known". ;):)

yEaH. .M8. .tH.a.N.k.S. f.O.r. pOi.N.t.I.nG. tHaT. oUt. APrEcIaTe. ThE. hElP

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Forgot to mention. When you call Dell just keep hitting any number repeatedly until you hear someone live come through. Record all your calls as they make empty promises. I found that I was helped a lot faster when I tweeted @dell and @dellCares  and it's free, unlike the 5p/min on the phone.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Even if they were right that your CPU is overheating that does not mean that it needs to be replaced.  There is probably nothing wrong with the CPU but maybe they didnt put on the thermal paste right.  Is the fan working right ?

When you say your computer "Crashes" do you mean that it does a blue screen of death crash ?

Because that means you have a hardware problem.  It would not have to do with windows. 

Dell has proprietary motherboards and power supplies but all the other components are off the shelf.   Which means you would have to replace the MB and power supply if you wanted to take those other components out of the PC and test if they work in a Zombie risen rig.

yEaH. .M8. .tH.a.N.k.S. f.O.r. pOi.N.t.I.nG. tHaT. oUt. APrEcIaTe. ThE. hElP

Y.o.U A.r.E V.e.R.r.Y W.e.L.c.O.m.E! :D

Even if they were right that your CPU is overheating that does not mean that it needs to be replaced.  There is probably nothing wrong with the CPU but maybe they didnt put on the thermal paste right.  Is the fan working right ?

When you say your computer "Crashes" do you mean that it does a blue screen of death crash ?

Because that means you have a hardware problem.  It would not have to do with windows. 

Dell has proprietary motherboards and power supplies but all the other components are off the shelf.   Which means you would have to replace the MB and power supply if you wanted to take those other components out of the PC and test if they work in a Zombie risen rig.

They said since the CPU has been overheating, then it could break the CPU, so I have to get a new one.  If I was going to get a new computer, I don't think I'm going to transfer anything out.  

The key word there is "Could".

There is most likely nothing wrong with the CPU.

Its true that you Could ruin a CPU by overheating it.   But have you ?   These days they will shut off before they destroy themselves.

You should look into why its overheating in the first  place.

If your CPU was fried from overheating it would not even turn on.

That's the reason I'm skeptical.  I know that, but I am not sure I want to do anything Dell says now.  I think they are just trying to make me buy a new CPU and GPU off them so they can make money.  I really don't want to spend the money on a new operating system that won't fix the issue either.  

Dell wouldn't tell me why or how to fix it, they just said its broken and you need to get a new one.  

This is why guys on this forum build our own PC's.  Because we know that those support guys who work for dell are just some poor dude in India who has very limited training.

People think that by buying a prebuilt PC they will get support if anything goes wrong.  But all you get is the run around.

I know I have had the guy I was talking to fall asleep while I was talking to him, no joke.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Take off the CPU cooler and blow out all the dust and make sure the fan is working.  Then clean the CPU and apply fresh paste and reinstall the CPU fan.

This is why guys on this forum build our own PC's.  Because we know that those support guys who work for dell are just some poor dude in India who has very limited training.

People think that by buying a prebuilt PC they will get support if anything goes wrong.  But all you get is the run around.

xD I made a mistake, that's one reason I want to just get it over with and sell it, I am tired of dealing with them, and building is just better.  

Take off the CPU cooler and blow out all the dust and make sure the fan is working.  Then clean the CPU and apply fresh paste and reinstall the CPU fan.

I've already done that, no help.  

If your CPU cooler is working and not clogged with dust then check your temps with some program like real temps and see if it is getting hot. 

Its probably not getting hot.   The problem most likely lies in the motherboard.

You could get a copy of windows 7 and try and install fresh copy of windows to test if that would help you.  But that might just be a waste of time.   When I say get a Copy to test I mean you know borrow a CD from a "Friend" to see if it works,  Dont just buy windows 7

There are ways to find an ISO for Evaluation purposes.

If it solves your problem then you can buy a legit copy

And what CPU do you have ?  Does it have an integrated GPU

And what CPU do you have ?  Does it have an integrated GPU

I have an i7 4770, and I have an nvidia 760.  Google the Alienware x51, not sure if you have seen it or not, but the cooling on it is horrendous.  My CPU temps on idle are around 60c, and under load they are in the 90-95c range.  

Have you tried taking out the GPU and using the display from the motherboard to see if the PC still crashes with the GPU out of the Equation ?

Those temps are warm but its expected for a Slim case like the one you have.   They have really bad airflow.

I think those temps are not exceeding a failure point.

Your hardware is not very old at all so I would not totally scrap that PC.

I would take the good stuff out of it and put it into a mid tower case with a normal atx motherboard and a cheapy power supply good enough to run the GPU.