Difference in sound between different grades of headphones?

equippedbum
Go to solution Solved by Peter Vaughan Truslow,

there is a point of diminishing returns in headphones beyond the $200 mark for standard headphones and IMO I would only go beyond that for features like well implemented wireless and noise cancelling.

I primarily use IEM's...(Shure SE535...Westone W40)

I tested out 4 different models of HiFiman headphones ranging in price from $200-$1200. 

I honestly couldn't pick up on huge differences between the different models.

Has anyone here found the same thing? 

Looking for practical opinions.

Are the spendier ones worth the money?

there is a point of diminishing returns in headphones beyond the $200 mark for standard headphones and IMO I would only go beyond that for features like well implemented wireless and noise cancelling.

I tested out 4 different models of HiFiman headphones ranging in price from $200-$1200. 

eh idk how much better music can get with over 200$ headphones unless u have superman hearing or just think the price tag makes them sound better

Order them and send them back if you dont like them?

"Worth" is relative.  If you have a very high budget the extra bit of finesse, sound quality, build quality, etc. may be "worth it", to you.  This person also probably has multiple amps/dacs to choose from as well.  If you are looking at spending $100 maximum and plan to plug them into your phone or your motherboard, those differences may not be "worth" the extra expense, even if you can afford it.  That said, headphone companies continue to sell "flagship" models because people continue to buy them.  Why they buy them is up to the buyer.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

"Worth" is relative.  If you have a very high budget the extra bit of finesse, sound quality, build quality, etc. may be "worth it", to you.  This person also probably has multiple amps/dacs to choose from as well.  If you are looking at spending $100 maximum and plan to plug them into your phone or your motherboard, those differences may not be "worth" the extra expense, even if you can afford it.  That said, headphone companies continue to sell "flagship" models because people continue to buy them.  Why they buy them is up to the buyer.

And marketing divisions.

Yes. The regulars of the audio subforum frequently suggest cheaper options because after owning/trying so many headphones you start to realize this.  ^_^