Is Clevo a good brand?

Flanelman

looking at buying a laptop, and have been looking at these 2 configurations mostly:

1) Clevo P650SE (€1142.80)

i7-4710HQ 2.5ghz-3.5ghz
3gb gtx 970m
15.6" 1920x1080 (16:9) LED backlit antiglare
8gb 1600Mhz (2x4)
750gb 7200rpm HDD
Intel wireless AC 7265 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N 2X2 + Bluetooth 4.0
10.67 x 15.60 x 0.98 inches

2) Clevo P157SM-A (€1223.58)

i7-4700MQ 2.4ghz-3.4ghz
6gb gtx 970m
15.6" 1920x1080 (16:9) LED backlit antiglare
8gb 1600Mhz (2x4)
750gb 7200rpm HDD
Daul layer DVD burner
Intel wireless AC 7260 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N 2X2 + Bluetooth 4.0
10.55 x 14.76 x 1.73 inches (bit thick for my liking :/ )

And i was just hoping for some insight on the brand, and your opinions on the two configurations?

Thanks in advance :)

@Flanelman

First follow your topic to receive notifications

IMO don't really like to get laptops from those boutique brands like Clevo or Sager or whatever other names are out there. Sure they have nice specs for the purpose of mobile extreme gaming, but i would rather get one from HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, well you get the idea. Don't want to spend say a good amount of your hard earn money on something say that company that lacks driver support or non existant. Just visited both Sager and Clevo. On Clevo's site, selected one of ther gaming laptops then went to support download page. Drives are not label at all to see what OS is supports. When trying to download it says the driver does not exist! WTH?!

Went to Sager's site, again picked on of their most recent gaming laptop (NP9752), went to their support page, type in that model and it says model does not exist. The closest on the driver page is the NP9750 and drivers end with Vista. Search for this laptop on their product page and sadly it doesn't exist. Get a laptop from a more reputable brand, check out MSI Ghost series, Gigabyte Aorus series, or Asus ROG series. At least these 3 mentioned brands you can tell they probably spend millions on R&D, just to see where to place the power switch.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hi, I've followed it :)

I'm new to this forum :) I was mainly looking at Clevo because of the price, I need it for schooling and gaming so i don't have a lot of cash and an MSI/gigabyte model with the same specs costs 300+ euros more :(

looking at buying a laptop, and have been looking at these 2 configurations mostly:

i have a Clevo P370EM, the laptop it self is good, and i bought it from originpc and their support is not bad, but when u are buying a gaming laptop keep in mind these few points.

- the performance is way lower than a dekstop at the same price.

- the idea of upgrading ur laptop component in theory works but in reality it costs alot, like gtx 980m atm costs $900, and later on when next generation is out the 980m price will drop to $800 only. my point is the prices dont drop much on the laptop parts.

- if u still want to buy 1, remember u need warranty and more than a year if u can, anything fails in the laptop it can cost u alot, and most of those boutique brands give u warranty but u have to pay for the shipping "which is extra cost", "free shipping in the USA only".

if u have any other question feel free to ask me :D.

Clevo/Sager laptops are very high quality. I've had one that I bought through Malibal, and the only issue that I've had with it was a corrupted harddrive (nothing to do with the re seller). What I do suggest, is that you buy through a good re-seller that can provide good support in the event that you might need it. Seeing that you're in the EU, maybe check out http://www.notebookguru.de/. It's the only EU site that comes to mind right now. 

I had a Clevo laptop a few years ago and loved it. I would try to look up some reviews on them to be absolutely sure that it's well made though.

I have looked at soem reviews all seem to be good so thats a good point :) im currently in EU but moving back to New Zealand so do you think a us/uk reseller can still help me efficiently from there?

I've had a Clevo m571ru (880M GTX) and a Sager(Clevo) NP8662 (260M GTX) in the past and the are really well built laptops, albeit a bit bulky. 

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

Yes, Clevo makes great Barebone laptops. I have the p150em, bought it in the uk from XMG,  and i couldn't be happier with it!.... well only if it wasn't so bulky :P

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Yes, Clevo makes great Barebone laptops. I have the p150em, bought it in the uk from XMG,  and i couldn't be happier with it!.... well only if it wasn't so bulky :P

One im lookign at is less than an inch thick :) looks okay :) but even for the price advantage on other brands it seems a good compromise :)

@Flanelman

First follow your topic to receive notifications

IMO don't really like to get laptops from those boutique brands like Clevo or Sager or whatever other names are out there. Sure they have nice specs for the purpose of mobile extreme gaming, but i would rather get one from HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, well you get the idea. Don't want to spend say a good amount of your hard earn money on something say that company that lacks driver support or non existant. Just visited both Sager and Clevo. On Clevo's site, selected one of ther gaming laptops then went to support download page. Drives are not label at all to see what OS is supports. When trying to download it says the driver does not exist! WTH?!

Went to Sager's site, again picked on of their most recent gaming laptop (NP9752), went to their support page, type in that model and it says model does not exist. The closest on the driver page is the NP9750 and drivers end with Vista. Search for this laptop on their product page and sadly it doesn't exist. Get a laptop from a more reputable brand, check out MSI Ghost series, Gigabyte Aorus series, or Asus ROG series. At least these 3 mentioned brands you can tell they probably spend millions on R&D, just to see where to place the power switch.

The reason the NP9752 (Clevo P750ZM) doesn't exist is because it's only on pre-order. It was "launched" by clevo about a week and a half ago at most. Clevo has been around for many years, and MANY rebranders use them in their machines, like OriginPC, CyberpowerPC, Falcon Northwest, mySN, Sager, Eurocom, Mythlogic, bluemobility, scan uk, etc.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not reputable. Do a little research, please.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The reason the NP9752 (Clevo P750ZM) doesn't exist is because it's only on pre-order. It was "launched" by clevo about a week and a half ago at most. Clevo has been around for many years, and MANY rebranders use them in their machines, like OriginPC, CyberpowerPC, Falcon Northwest, mySN, Sager, Eurocom, Mythlogic, bluemobility, scan uk, etc.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not reputable. Do a little research, please.

I've heard of Clevo, Sager, as well as many of the one you've mentioned.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I've heard of Clevo, Sager, as well as many of the one you've mentioned.

They're one of the most reputable brands out there, but your original post stated that you'd rather get from a "big name" company, and that Clevo/Sager had little to no support. I said that the model you chose has not been fully released. For example, look at the driver list for my model on their website:

Screenshot1298.jpg

In other words, your post was very misleading and it reeked of someone who never did anything with one of them and spent about 5 minutes looking up stuff.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday