Poor Sound Quality MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Sony MDR-XB700

Hello everybody,

i have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 and I'm pretty satisfied.

However, when I use the headphones with my PC (example:  320Kbps mp3 music) I notice a significant quality "drop" if I compare the sound of the same song using a different device, like my iPad, obviously using the same headphones.

The motherboard has a Realtek chip (Codec ALC1150) with Audio Boost feature. I update every sound driver, but I didn't notice any improvement.

Is it possibile that the same song sounds better via the iPad? Isn't the motherboard onboard audio supposed to be better or at least equal?

I will consider the idea of getting a sound card but atm I don't think it's actually necessary...

Thanks in advance :)

There could be any number of causes. It's pretty hard to determine without a description of what the quality drop is. Disable all sound processing in your sound drivers, try both front and back audio jacks on your PC.

iPad's sound card is surprisingly good. However i am not confident saying it's better than your on-board sound card... 
Since you say there is a significant quality "drop", there might be a problem with your sound card or maybe you have some software messing up the sound. 

There could be any number of causes. It's pretty hard to determine without a description of what the quality drop is. Disable all sound processing in your sound drivers, try both front and back audio jacks on your PC.

Exactly, it could be anything :(

Basically if you take a 320Kbps song on the iPad it will sound as 320Kbps but, with the same headphones, on the PC the quality is more or less similar to a 128Kbps song

iPad's sound card is surprisingly good. However i am not confident saying it's better than your on-board sound card... 

Since you say there is a significant quality "drop", there might be a problem with your sound card or maybe you have some software messing up the sound. 

True, but I would expect the onboard audio to be at least as good as the iPad's since every mobo manufacturer improved their onboard audio in the last couple of years.

True, but I would expect the onboard audio to be at least as good as the iPad's since every mobo manufacturer improved their onboard audio in the last couple of years.

I would expect the same :P

Are you sure there are no EQ enabled? (like gaming mode or surrounding mode)

I would expect the same :P

Are you sure there are no EQ enabled? (like gaming more or surrounding mode)

Yes those are disabled

Exactly, it could be anything :(

Basically if you take a 320Kbps song on the iPad it will sound as 320Kbps but, with the same headphones, on the PC the quality is more or less similar to a 128Kbps song

That doesn't sound right, there should not be an audible difference with your motherboard. Did you try both the front and rear audio jacks? Are you sure that all software effects are disabled?

That doesn't sound right, there should not be an audible difference with your motherboard. Did you try both the front and rear audio jacks? Are you sure that all software effects are disabled?

Yes I even tried to disconnect the cable that connects the front jacks to the motherboard and then using the rear one.

The effects are disabled in the realtek hd program and under the tab in the audio tab in the control panel. I can't find more effects to disable.

Yes I even tried to disconnect the cable that connects the front jacks to the motherboard and then using the rear one.

The effects are disabled in the realtek hd program and under the tab in the audio tab in the control panel. I can't find more effects to disable.

How about the sampling rate/bit depth selection, is that available/have you tried playing around with it?

The Sony's are very low impedance (24ohms) headphones and the mobo says that can support up to 600ohms. Make sure you are not using any high impedance mode (i don't know if you can change it or not, but search for any impedance settings)
If you can't find anything, use the output as speakers and not as headphones. 

How about the sampling rate/bit depth selection, is that available/have you tried playing around with it?

No, where should I find it?

The Sony's are very low impedance (24ohms) headphones and the mobo says that can support up to 600ohms. Make sure you are not using any high impedance mode (i don't know if you can change it or not, but search for any impedance settings)

If you can't find anything, use the output as speakers and not as headphones.

I wasn't able to find it. I also searched in the bios but the only audio option was something like "high definition audio" that was already enabled, but no impedence settings.

In windows, when I plug in the headphones in the front jack it asks me if I connected headphones or a speaker, if I connected them to the back green port it automatically sets them as speakers without asking.