Do I get an AMP or Sound Card ?

maximilian4o

Hello guys,

I was thinking about getting a pair of Q701s. But I found out that they recently started producing them in china rather than in Austria. People say, that they sound not as good as when they were made in Austria... so I decided to get the Sennheiser HD 598s. From what I know, they are not hard to drive so an AMP is not necessary. Thing is, I play lots of games, so I need surround sound. I've heard that I need to get a sound card for that. I was looking at the Sound Blaster X, or the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (the one that's used outside of the PC... insted of inside of it)..... so would you guys recommend to get an AMP (I'll be getting the FiiO E10K), or do I get the Sound Blaster ? Thanks for the time guys, I appreciate it ^^

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Well, the FiiO E10K is also a sound card "DAC". I would suggest to keep your money if you are going to use the headphones just for gaming, but if you want to buy something i would suggest to get the FiiO. :)

Q701 is a bit hard to drive due to its low efficiency. Most likely it won't go loud enough on onboards, unless maybe good performance onboards. If it doesn't get loud enough, an E6 will do the job just fine. E10 also is a good choice. Never tried E10k, so no comments there. 

Just get  the cheapest asus xonar with a built in headphone amp. Will drive them fine and provide virtual surround for games.

Your first mistake was to get 598 over Q701, I personally think Q701 is better than 558 or 598 for price / performance :D

Your first mistake was to get 598 over Q701, I personally think Q701 is better than 558 or 598 for price / performance :D

I still haven't purchased them. But I was thinking of pirchasing them tomorrow. Only reason being that the AKGs are now produced in China instead of Austria, and people say the sound quality is not as good :/

BTW guys... I don't need to just drive the headphones... I need virtual surround sound :)

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

I still haven't purchased them. But I was thinking of pirchasing them tomorrow. Only reason being that the AKGs are now produced in China instead of Austria, and people say the sound quality is not as good :/

BTW guys... I don't need to just drive the headphones... I need virtual surround sound :)

I'd say look for second hand Q701 in head-fi there are a bunch of them, some of them were made in austria.

If you have a big noggin' or thin hair though, you might want to mod Q701 to make it comfortable.

Also, with Q701 you can forget surround sound, the soundstage is huge. But either way, forget surround sound, it's a total BS and crap headphone's sound quality

I'd say look for second hand Q701 in head-fi there are a bunch of them, some of them were made in austria.

If you have a big noggin' or thin hair though, you might want to mod Q701 to make it comfortable.

Also, with Q701 you can forget surround sound, the soundstage is huge. But either way, forget surround sound, it's a total BS and crap headphone's sound quality

Is the difference between the Q701s and the HD 598s that big ? And do you think the Chinese version still sounds better than the HD 598s ? Cause I don't like buying used things :/

Is the difference between the Q701s and the HD 598s that big ? And do you think the Chinese version still sounds better than the HD 598s ? Cause I don't like buying used things :/

I'm not a really big fan of slighly recessed vocal of classic sennheiser house sound. Q701 can be too bright for some with forward mids and ear scratching treble, but for me it was fine and i like it. In headphone world, where quality of sound doesn't degrade over the year of using the headphone, used items are really great. I've spend $370 for HD600 + O2 amp + iBasso D-zero. If I'm buying them all brand new, I would need to spend somewhere around 550-600 so that's a pretty big difference.

You only need to change tha pads of the headphone on worst case scenario, I strongly suggest buying used headphon / amp over brand new one :P

I'm not a really big fan of slighly recessed vocal of classic sennheiser house sound. Q701 can be too bright for some with forward mids and ear scratching treble, but for me it was fine and i like it. In headphone world, where quality of sound doesn't degrade over the year of using the headphone, used items are really great. I've spend $370 for HD600 + O2 amp + iBasso D-zero. If I'm buying them all brand new, I would need to spend somewhere around 550-600 so that's a pretty big difference.

You only need to change tha pads of the headphone on worst case scenario, I strongly suggest buying used headphon / amp over brand new one :P

I'll get them new anyway. I don't like used stuff :/ Thing is... are the Chinese better than the 598s anyway ? Just as a typo... I need the headphones just for gaming and some hip hop music :)

I'll get them new anyway. I don't like used stuff :/ Thing is... are the Chinese better than the 598s anyway ? Just as a typo... I need the headphones just for gaming and some hip hop music :)

Any bass heavy music is a weakness of Q701. HD598 is more likely made in china too :P. Q701 from china shouldnt be a problem

Most of the Q701 were made in China.  I read a ton of reviews on this particular headphone (and might still buy a pair myself!) and don't recall a single one comparing a Chinese made one to an earlier Austrian model (if such an animal even exists?!?)  They are a popular headphone but aren't very efficient and will likely sound their best with a desktop or portable amp and or dac (with built in amp).  Chinese manufacturing has a bad rap for a reason but I imagine a company making things for a company like AKG, with a reputation to protect, is likely going to be held to pretty high standards.  I wouldn't let "Made in China" stop you from buying them, at least not the Q701.  I can't comment on the HD598.  I've considered them too in the past but have never heard them.  AKGs I'm a bit more familiar with.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I haven't experienced any drop in quality after they switched to manufacturing in China. I had the AKG K612 which was made in China and the new K7xx. No problem with either of them. They sounded great too. 

I haven't experienced any drop in quality after they switched to manufacturing in China. I had the AKG K612 which was made in China and the new K7xx. No problem with either of them. They sounded great too. 

Most of the Q701 were made in China.  I read a ton of reviews on this particular headphone (and might still buy a pair myself!) and don't recall a single one comparing a Chinese made one to an earlier Austrian model (if such an animal even exists?!?)  They are a popular headphone but aren't very efficient and will likely sound their best with a desktop or portable amp and or dac (with built in amp).  Chinese manufacturing has a bad rap for a reason but I imagine a company making things for a company like AKG, with a reputation to protect, is likely going to be held to pretty high standards.  I wouldn't let "Made in China" stop you from buying them, at least not the Q701.  I can't comment on the HD598.  I've considered them too in the past but have never heard them.  AKGs I'm a bit more familiar with.

So You guys would recommend the AKGs rather than the HD598s for gaming and music, right ? I mean... the difference is 50 $. Is it worth ? (this is my last post... whatever you say is what I'll buy)... I like bass... just a lil bit... just saying ^^

Edit: And by reading the other comments, I guess I should get the FiiO E10K instead of the Soundblaster Sound Card, right ?