Dirtiest / Dustiest PC's You've Ever Cleaned!

My older brother never dusts his house, and he has a 290x and an FX-8350. There's actually a visible layer of dust on his desk. I'm really scared to open up his PC.. :c

My older brother never dusts his house, and he has a 290x and an FX-8350. There's actually a visible layer of dust on his desk. I'm really scared to open up his PC.. :c

That poor 8350... I'd never put mine through that..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

• 1 year later...

My dads i7 conputer

smoker. 

Closed space. 

Never dusted it

stock cooler

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I don't know how but i had a pc once with an antec greenpower whatever psu and it was quite dirty but not terrible but somehow it had a flippin moth in the psu fan!

No idea for how long it was there but i couldn't figure out how it got there in the first place, the psu fan had grills and the moth was huge, it barely fitted.

Thankfully the fan didn't spin with that thing in there because if it did it would be a mess, when i got it out it the moth kind of fell apart...

PSU survived tho :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 minutes ago, shzero said:

are we still into dirty and filthy PC's?

here's the view from the back.

super slick and clean cable management. :D

Awww, poor Air 540. I love the HDD strapped down with wire tie. :D I mean I also have a HDD back there, but I put a little bit more effort into that. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Awww, poor Air 540. I love the HDD strapped down with wire tie. :D I mean I also have a HDD back there, but I put a little bit more effort into that. :D

hahaha. that HDD is a last minute addition to my setup before i went to a rigshow/lan party event in our city.

and they sarcastically gave me praises.

"If it's stupid but it works, it aint stupid"

don't worry bro, i'll put more effort into it next time. :3

I don't' really take pictures of the PCs I fix, but I had a hunch with this one:

Imagen007.jpg

When I told the client, he refused to accept that the problem was that the machine was dirty, and started blaming me for the issues of the PC, which he had bought somewhere else.  So I showed him the picture.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

26 minutes ago, shzero said:

hahaha. that HDD is a last minute addition to my setup before i went to a rigshow/lan party event in our city.

and they sarcastically gave me praises.

"If it's stupid but it works, it aint stupid"

don't worry bro, i'll put more effort into it next time. :3

I mean, if it works... :D Hey, this is a dirty, dirty, selfpromotion, but check out this third page of my build log and scroll down a little bit, it might give you some ideas about the cage. :)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/513632-frankies-modded-air-540-build/?page=3

13 minutes ago, Sors said:

I don't' really take pictures of the PCs I fix, but I had a hunch with this one:

When I told the client, he refused to accept that the problem was that the machine was dirty, and started blaming me for the issues of the PC, which he had bought somewhere else.  So I showed him the picture.

Damn, I think there's a little bit of heatsink on that dust. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Just now, Frankie said:

I mean, if it works... :D Hey, this is a dirty, dirty, selfpromotion, but check out this third page of my build log and scroll down a little bit, it might give you some ideas about the cage.

hahaha. i'll check it out. :)

Just now, Sors said:

man. some people really think that dust won't affect the performance of a PC. you gotta be patient with those guys.

a unopened DOS computer, it was so dusty the dust was acutely stuck to the metal and components, it took me a month to clean it

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

a old hp that would not turn on because it would instantly overheat because of dust i dont have pics but i still own the system 

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

My dads i7 conputer

smoker. 

Closed space. 

Never dusted it

stock cooler

When are people going to realize that smoking can cause a wide variety of health issues and is essentially slowly poisoning the smoker?

Plus doesn't cigarette smoke leave nasty deposites in computers?  RIP your dad's PC..  

Though I'm curious what it being a stock cooler matters?

2 hours ago, Sors said:

What is that?

It looks scary.  ? 

38 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

When are people going to realize that smoking can cause a wide variety of health issues and is essentially slowly poisoning the smoker?

Plus doesn't cigarette smoke leave nasty deposites in computers?  RIP your dad's PC..  

Though I'm curious what it being a stock cooler matters?

dunno, 40 years and hes going semi-good ish..

everyone else in my family has stopped.

yeah it does.. :P it matters because the nasty shit blocks the already shitty intel fan so 70c idle anyone?

dads pc is now my pc.. thats how i got my i7 :Pnow its idling at 60c.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What is that?

It looks scary.  ? 

Is the stock intel 775 CPU heatsink with the fan removed.  Here's a picture after I cleaned it:

Imagen008.jpg

Mystery is the source of all true science.

My schools...

We got some out of "holding" that were supposed to be auctioned off for a couple years. No idea how long they had been used before that but we had to use an electric blower and even scrap some build up off that would have made a great carpet.

8 computers and it looked like a tornado in an insulation factory when cleaning them, I wish I had taken pictures. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

56 minutes ago, themctipers said:

dunno, 40 years and hes going semi-good ish..

everyone else in my family has stopped.

yeah it does.. :P it matters because the nasty shit blocks the already shitty intel fan so 70c idle anyone?

dads pc is now my pc.. thats how i got my i7 :Pnow its idling at 60c.

Give it a while longer and he won't be.  He may as well be drinking nuclear waste for all the difference it'd make.  

Youre not using the stock cooler though right?  Shouldn't you get better temps with that?

24 minutes ago, Sors said:

Is the stock intel 775 CPU heatsink with the fan removed.  Here's a picture after I cleaned it:

Ohhhh.  It was so dirty I couldn't be sure.  lol

You did a very nice job cleaning it.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Give it a while longer and he won't be.  He may as well be drinking nuclear waste for all the difference it'd make.  

Youre not using the stock cooler though right?  Shouldn't you get better temps with that?

Yeah he is :/ like ALOT. 

I'm using a hyper 212x..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

A couple of months ago I was asked to see if some PCs we had stored in the closet still worked. They were mostly Pentium 4 machines. The first one I opened looked like someone had stuffed it with black cotton candy. There was dust EVERYWHERE, even the socket was packed with dust, even with a CPU and heatsink installed. All the fans were completely stuck. I even found a couple of dead insects, which included spiders and cockroaches. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Well about a week back there were afew spiders in my computer that I vacuumed out.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

Yeah he is :/ like ALOT. 

I'm using a hyper 212x..

Hopefully he can be convinced to stop smoking.  It'd save a lot of money and give him a better chance at a nice long life.  

So if you're using that better cooler shouldn't you get better temps?

Actually my very first PC I ever owned was the worst. I had never had experience with a PC before hand I browsed the web on my Dreamcast up till then.   In 2002 the book distribution warehouse I worked at closed its doors and laid all of us off.  Before hand they had giveaway raffle for various things in the building and the work horse terminal pcs that were scattered around the warehouse stations were part of that raffle.  I won a PC. These computers had been in a dusty book warehouse not maintained for years.  So I got it home and opened it up.. and the horror

It was a Pentium 3 @500mhz,  128mb ram with a 10GB HDD, running windows 2000... that's not the horror though... 

That very night I was so excited I got it home and opened it up.. 

It had a massive dust bunny cluster and cobwebs that filled the case, a small shopping bag full of dust bunnies you couldn't even see most of the mobo, it literally FILLED the hollow areas of the case, I could reach in grab clusters with both hands,  how this thing never caught fire or at least died from overheating I'll never know.     A book warehouse is extra dusty, a warehouse is bad enough but you are dealing with books so a lot of paper/wood type pulp dust.  

I went out immediately to the Comp USA and bought a couple bottles of canned air, another 128mb stick ram and a ATI radeon 7000 32mb GPU and my first PC game Diablo 2.