Before os installation uefi update help!

I'm fairly new to post testing. I usually just slap all the components in and expect them to work but I just bought a new pc and need some help on post testing! I was told that it is recommended to update your uefi before doing the os installation. I have an Asus maximus hero VII if you guys are wondering. Should their be an option to update uefi over ethernet? Or flash? If so, how do I do do this? Thanks for the help.

Computer SpecsGPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum CPU: Intel i7-4790k

Other Facts: Phone: Galaxy Note 3 Laptop: 13-inch 2.4 GHz Macbook pro with Retina 

I'm fairly new to post testing. I usually just slap all the components in and expect them to work but I just bought a new pc and need some help on post testing! I was told that it is recommended to update your uefi before doing the os installation. I have an Asus maximus hero VII if you guys are wondering. Should their be an option to update uefi over ethernet? Or flash? If so, how do I do do this? Thanks for the help.

I think that that board supports no-CPU BIOS flash so just download the latest BIOS on a flash drive and stick it in the apropriate port on the board and press the button. In the manual you will find an extensive and very simple to follow step-by-step guide so follow that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Also, how would I check if my mobo needs an update?

Computer SpecsGPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum CPU: Intel i7-4790k

Other Facts: Phone: Galaxy Note 3 Laptop: 13-inch 2.4 GHz Macbook pro with Retina 

Also, how would I check if my mobo needs an update?

You can see the current BIOS version on the main panel when you enter into the UEFI. The latest BIOS can be downloaded from the Asus website.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

It is Z97 board. You don't need to update BIOS before OS. In fact, if everything is working you don't need to update it at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It is Z97 board. You don't need to update BIOS before OS. In fact, if everything is working you don't need to update it at all.

Unless you've got a Devils Canyon CPU that is.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Unless you've got a Devils Canyon CPU that is.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Z97 has native support for Haswell and DC CPUs. Or did I misunderstood your meaning?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Z97 has native support for Haswell and DC CPUs. Or did I misunderstood your meaning?

You might be correct, I just remember seeing something somewhere about Z97 boards requiring a BIOS flash for DC. Its entirely possible it was one specific board or indeed I'm just wrong ;)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You might be correct, I just remember seeing something somewhere about Z97 boards requiring a BIOS flash for DC. Its entirely possible it was one specific board or indeed I'm just wrong ;)

Z87 require that BIOS update, not Z97.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)