Will I get used to 5.5 inches?

Egoist

It's about Display size get your minds out of the gutter you dirty perverts! xD

So after lurking around on the webs I have finally aquired two One + One invites to buy a One+ One for my cousin and one for me. 

I'm more of a smaller type person not exactly tall at just about 6 feet and I have smallish almost female sized hands or atleast so do I feel when holding today's smartphones such as the Nexus 5. When I hold a Nexus 5 in the hand I have to alternate my grip to reach that last little bit of the corner (Btw things like 'reachability' are junk and the simple idea of it is crazy IMO) and the One+ One is even bigger. 

I used to use a Nokia 3310 because it was so sturdy and I never felt the 'I need to have this smartphone'- wibe type thing but I managed to kill it. So now I need a new phone. I don't exactly have a ton of money and I want to by my cousin a new phone too as he was robbed and his phone was stolen on his birthday and that's just sad. 

So my question will I get used to a 5.5 inch display size? Has anybody got some experience that will help me out and is worth sharing? (ie you tried going from a small to a bigger phone type situation) 

If it was LG G3 I would say yes. OnePlus looks quite a bit bigger, but people are using it and they enjoy it so probably. Don't expect one handed use though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Oh god this thread title could go SOOOOOO many places on the internet.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Oh god this thread title could go SOOOOOO many places on the internet.

Also I intended it too. So that I'd get some awnsers ASAP. 

Also I intended it too. So that I'd get some awnsers ASAP. 

Well as a guy, I don't know how 5.5inches feel when it gets put insi:- i'll stop there

I personally have large-ish hands (I'm more of a Slick than a Linus) but personally I don't like larger phones. I keep with the 4.5-5'' zone for the most part. Thats why I like my windows phone :P

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The thing about Android is that two crucial things exist.  The ability to put things that are most important to you on the bottom of the screen, and the existence of the back button.  It's actually not that hard to one-hand...while sitting up, if you're lying down than phones larger than your hands will just fall on your face one-handed.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

If it was LG G3 I would say yes. OnePlus looks quite a bit bigger, but people are using it and they enjoy it so probably. Don't expect one handed use though.

I refuse to use my phone 2 handed, I can still manage pretty easily. But I do have pretty decently large sized hands for my height.

I refuse to use my phone 2 handed, I can still manage pretty easily. But I do have pretty decently large sized hands for my height.

you have opo or g3?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Switched from a iPhone 5s to a One plus One. You'll get used to the size in under a week if your like me. Now I can't imagine going back to a tiny screen. I have very medium sized hands at 16 years old btw

Eventually, at first you'll notice the limitations, like not being able to reach parts of the screen one handed. I myself have gotten used to it and positioned my music player so that i can use it one handed, i accepted two handed use for other stuff.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Well as a guy, I don't know how 5.5inches feel when it gets put insi:- i'll stop there

I'm a girl and I didn't take it that way :P

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Yes. You get used to its advantages really quick and its size stops being so noticeable (other phones just look tiny by comparison). Tbh, the only time I feel its size (that said I have above average hands) is when I try it pry it out of jean pockets when sat down.

I like my nexus 5, im about 6'0-6'1, and definitly dont have big hands. I could get used to 5,5 inch

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

5.5 inches may seem big, but thats only because every other device we've used is smaller. And these newer devices being released has a higher resolution with more PPI.

You can definetly hold a phone that big, but really depends if you're the type of person that drops a phone every now and then or if you like phones that have a bigger

display.

- 'YOLO' doesn't exist in the PC World!

I was used to the 5.5" screen on my OnePlus One after a few days. I think my hands are medium-largely sized. I do sometimes miss my 4.5" screen on my old Lumia phone, but I think the pros of a big screen outweigh the cons. I one-hand use my phone constantly and haven't dropped it doing so. Big screens = good :)

-From the desk of Moose-

I went from an iPhone 4s to a 5s, took me about a month to get used to the bigger size. Although I got used to it, it's rather uncomfortable trying to reach the top opposite corner. I can't imagine how it would be like to use an iPhone 6 or similarly sized phone, probably will have to start stretching my hand when I wake up to make it fit???? 

So after lurking around on the webs I have finally aquired two One + One invites to buy a One+ One for my cousin and one for me. 

I'm more of a smaller type person not exactly tall at just about 6 feet and I have smallish almost female sized hands or atleast so do I feel when holding today's smartphones such as the Nexus 5. When I hold a Nexus 5 in the hand I have to alternate my grip to reach that last little bit of the corner (Btw things like 'reachability' are junk and the simple idea of it is crazy IMO) and the One+ One is even bigger. 

I used to use a Nokia 3310 because it was so sturdy and I never felt the 'I need to have this smartphone'- wibe type thing but I managed to kill it. So now I need a new phone. I don't exactly have a ton of money and I want to by my cousin a new phone too as he was robbed and his phone was stolen on his birthday and that's just sad. 

So my question will I get used to a 5.5 inch display size? Has anybody got some experience that will help me out and is worth sharing? (ie you tried going from a small to a bigger phone type situation) 

Yes.  I just went from a Droid 3 to a OnePlus One, and I definitely love the big display.  As long as your pockets can accomodate, you'll love it.

EDIT: My hands aren't "big" but my fingers are extremely long.  Your mileage may vary...

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Iv'e had my opo for a few weeks, switched from s4 mini with a like 4 inch screen or something. Got used after a few days, now I prefer it

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

Switched from a iPhone 5s to a One plus One. You'll get used to the size in under a week if your like me. Now I can't imagine going back to a tiny screen. I have very medium sized hands at 16 years old btw

This exactly, I went from an iPhone 4 (3.5") to a OnePlus One (5.5") just over a week ago and I'm already used to it. I can't imagine going back to anything below 5".

I went from an iPhone 4s to a 5s, took me about a month to get used to the bigger size. Although I got used to it, it's rather uncomfortable trying to reach the top opposite corner. I can't imagine how it would be like to use an iPhone 6 or similarly sized phone, probably will have to start stretching my hand when I wake up to make it fit????

Wait, seriously? It took you a month to adjust to a tiny .5" bump in screen size/aspect ratio? I experienced a 2" size increase and was used to it within a week, probably more like 5 days. I'm 14 and 5'10"/11" and can reach about 75% of the screen with my thumb. Or you could, you know, use it like a normal person and reach 100% of the screen with two handed use.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

*giggles internally*

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Wait, seriously? It took you a month to adjust to a tiny .5" bump in screen size/aspect ratio? I experienced a 2" size increase and was used to it within a week, probably more like 5 days. I'm 14 and 5'10"/11" and can reach about 75% of the screen with my thumb. Or you could, you know, use it like a normal person and reach 100% of the screen with two handed use.

I'm more of a Linus, so I have rather "small" hands, although for being an Asian, it's normal. Well, when you have a screen that's much taller than the one you've been using for 2 years, it takes a while. I still haven't been able to fill the extra row of icons on my home screen, even after about 7 months. I don't think using a phone with two hands is normal- a phone is intended to be use to make calls....... with one hand, it should only be used with one hand. Besides, in most situations, it's much more convenient to use it with one hand. Plus, I hate imperfect solutions to flawed products, which is why Android will probably not be able to take me back.

Edit: Actually, lemme rephrase that, there's no such thing as an imperfect solution, just a work around; a perfect product would be the solution and would not require workarounds.

It also took me quite a while to adjust from a 19" 1280x1024 screen to my current 21.5" 1080p screen. The loss of vertical space compared to horizontal space seemed stupid, especially since most websites are designed to show content vertically, rather than horizontally. Gaming was also difficult to adjust to- I used to be able to tunnel on a square, now I have to focus on the additional horizontal space.

Well, when you have a screen that's much taller than the one you've been using for 2 years, it takes a while. I still haven't been able to fill the extra row of icons on my home screen, even after about 7 months.

The entire 5S (not just the screen) is only 0.338" (8.6mm) taller than the 4S, and is exactly the same width. The 6 is only 0.562" (14.3mm) taller and 0.33" (8.4mm) wider than the 5S. IMO, it's not that much of a difference.

I don't think using a phone with two hands is normal- a phone is intended to be use to make calls....... with one hand, it should only be used with one hand.[sic]

Seriously, it's not hard to hold a phone one handed. My ~5' 10 year old brother can hold my phone fine. Now, an iPhone 6/Plus will be MUCH harder to hold, with those bezels and that stupid more-slippery-than-the-HTC-One-M8 rounded aluminum unibody, while the OnePlus One has that grippy Sandstone plastic.

post-145931-0-55577900-1420558759_thumb.

(Sorry for bad image quality, it was taken with an iPad)

Besides, in most situations, it's much more convenient to use it with one hand.

And those are?

Plus, I hate imperfect solutions to flawed products, which is why Android will probably not be able to take me back.

Like Reachability, everything iOS-related on the 6 Plus (i.e. Nothing takes advantage of the big screen) and the iOS Settings app?

Or was that a jab at Android, which I'd like you to elaborate?

Edit: Actually, lemme rephrase that, there's no such thing as an imperfect solution, just a work around; a perfect product would be the solution and would not require workarounds.

Please elaborate, this is kinda vauge.

It also took me quite a while to adjust from a 19" 1280x1024 screen to my current 21.5" 1080p screen. The loss of vertical space compared to horizontal space seemed stupid, especially since most websites are designed to show content vertically, rather than horizontally. Gaming was also difficult to adjust to- I used to be able to tunnel on a square, now I have to focus on the additional horizontal space.

I can understand this.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Welp, accidentally pressed alt left arrow and lost everything I typed.

The entire 5S (not just the screen) is only 0.338" (8.6mm) taller than the 4S, and is exactly the same width. The 6 is only 0.562" (14.3mm) taller and 0.33" (8.4mm) wider than the 5S. IMO, it's not that much of a difference.

Forgot what I wrote but something about it being 10% taller which isn't significant but quite noticeable.

Seriously, it's not hard to hold a phone one handed. My ~5' 10 year old brother can hold my phone fine. Now, an iPhone 6/Plus will be MUCH harder to hold, with those bezels and that stupid more-slippery-than-the-HTC-One-M8 rounded aluminum unibody, while the OnePlus One has that grippy Sandstone plastic.

It's not about holding it one handed...... it's about operating it with one hand. Linus could put up with uncomfortably large phones, I cannot.

And those are?

Phone call, anything that requires you to multitask(outside of your phone). If you are really 14, then you probably have no experience with older cell phones and maybe even cordless home phones- those pretty much taught you to use phones one handed.

Like Reachability, everything iOS-related on the 6 Plus (i.e. Nothing takes advantage of the big screen) and the iOS Settings app?

Or was that a jab at Android, which I'd like you to elaborate?

Like Linus said, Reachability is awful, however I strongly believe that it's a feature that most people will never use or hardly use simply because if you want a smaller phone, you buy the 5s, if you want a bigger phone, you buy the 6 or 6+, you wouldn't need to use reachability. I would never consider buying or using the 6 or 6+, so really, those don't matter.

Jab at Android if you want one, stock software that comes with your phone- people like to say "oh, with Android you can customize it", well sure you can remove TouchWiz and replace it with something else, but that's not solving the problem of having bad software preloaded, that's just being ignorant. It's like buying a car and saying, with the Civic, you can customize it however you want, and then you end up seeing this car that rattles, is obnoxiously loud, and with the money spent on it and the customization, you could had gotten a better car.

Please elaborate, this is kinda vauge.

Pretty much what I said up there^. You can choose to buy a car without premium features(leather seats, auto headlights, windsheild wipers, premium speakers, etc) and add them yourself, but at the end of the day, you'll end up with a car that has the premium features, but not put together as well or as complete. I guess I just hate those annoying people that change their muffler and add speakers that distort like crazy with the bass cranked up.......