athlon 760k "overheating" solution (free)

1anas16

People have reported that they were using hw monitor, and getting temps 80c+, i got 178c. 

DONT USE HW MONITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with the 760k at least)

use amd overdrive or your mobo software to look at temps.

i have an asus a78m-e , so i use ai suite III

the temp for idle was ~40c~

MUCH BETTER!

i noticed the temps were off because i set my pc to shut off at 85c in the bios, it didnt work, so i used ai suite, and i got better temps

P.S. im using stock cooler

178C is much better than 80C. At least with the one you know it can't be right but the 80C is still within a realm of possibility - that can concern a lot of people. HW monitor is typically fine but it always a good idea to double check especially when you get a high temp reading. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

178C is much better than 80C. At least with the one you know it can't be right but the 80C is still within a realm of possibility - that can concern a lot of people. HW monitor is typically fine but it always a good idea to double check especially when you get a high temp reading. 

there are many reports on forums that people say that hw monitor doesnt work well with fm2 sockets or something like that

there are many reports on forums that people say that hw monitor doesnt work well with fm2 sockets or something like that

Never heard of that before,  good to know. I wouldn't doubt that there isnt problem as clearly you it didn't work for you and HW monitor is far from perfect. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Never heard of that before, good to know. I wouldn't doubt that there isnt problem as clearly you it didn't work for you and HW monitor is far from perfect.

I can vouch for this, my A10 6800k got 70 at idle before. Basically, to find your temp on the Athlons, take your Tj max and subtract it by your thermal margin in AMD overdrive.

[witty signature]