asus m5a97 Am3+

Sure..? The motherboard doesn't affect performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's 6+2 phase, so it's suitable for all of the FX chips, not much overclocking though. That being said, FX isn't the best for gaming due to their weak cores; i3's and locked i5's are a better value nowadays. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Is this motherboard good for a gaming rig

Exactly

As long as the CPU you want is compatible with the motherboard there is no problem

Ok i bought the fx -8320 e and im going to overclick it

It does with FX processors. You need the extra wattage for more than 4 cores at a decent speed -- otherwise the cores downclock due to the lack of power or overheating VRM. The M5a97 will work great, plus have a lot of overclocking headroom with its high power capability.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

It does with FX processors. You need the extra wattage for more than 4 cores at a decent speed -- otherwise the cores downclock due to the lack of power or overheating VRM. The M5a97 will work great, plus have a lot of overclocking headroom with its high power capability.

I wouldn't say 6+2 phase is "high power capability" with FX chips. I wouldn't go too crazy on the overclocks.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Not really--the compatibility list wouldn't list cpus that aren't fully supported. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I wouldn't say 6+2 phase is "high power capability" with FX chips. I wouldn't go too crazy on the overclocks.

M5A99FX R2.0 (which is 6+2) is used to get 5GHz on FX8350. That's pretty high.

Not really--the compatibility list wouldn't list cpus that aren't fully supported. 

Lots of low-end boards just have copied and pasted information from higher-end boards. I once bought a 95W board (M5A78) for a 95W chip (FX6100) and it still throttled with great temps -- the VRMS were overheating and couldn't get enough power to the chip for turbo boost. Oh and I had to update the BIOS using another chip before I could use it (which was never really mentioned until they received enough complaints).

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Lots of low-end boards just have copied and pasted information from higher-end boards. I once bought a 95W board (M5A78) for a 95W chip (FX6100) and it still throttled with great temps -- the VRMS were overheating and couldn't get enough power to the chip for turbo boost. Oh and I had to update the BIOS using another chip before I could use it (which was never really mentioned until they received enough complaints).

They have bios versions in cpu compatibility lists. It also isn't an issue now if it was before. 

M5A97 R2.0 is 4+2, the M5A97 EVO R2.0 is 6+2.

4+2 and overclocking don't really go together.