Multi-GPU Question

Jayhawk
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

Not sure where to put this or how to explain this. When running SLI/Crossfire, the GPUs work together, but how? Do they split it and each run half a frame, or do each render every other fame? I know both techniques exist , that the first is the more efficient, and think that the latter is the most commonly used. I just want to know which of the two is the commonly used one. 

(sometimes you can swap between methods in the control panel for the GPUs)

Alternate frame rendering is the most commonly used, that is why crossfire/SLI can suffer from microstuttering at low framerates

basically the game is loaded into the GPU VRAM which is mirrored across the 2 cards, and they take turns rendering alternate frames for a theoretical 2x performance boost

If they were rendering half a frame each, any latency would create horrible screen tearing

Not sure where to put this or how to explain this. When running SLI/Crossfire, the GPUs work together, but how? Do they split it and each run half a frame, or do each render every other fame? I know both techniques exist , that the first is the more efficient, and think that the latter is the most commonly used. I just want to know which of the two is the commonly used one. 

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

(sometimes you can swap between methods in the control panel for the GPUs)

Alternate frame rendering is the most commonly used, that is why crossfire/SLI can suffer from microstuttering at low framerates

basically the game is loaded into the GPU VRAM which is mirrored across the 2 cards, and they take turns rendering alternate frames for a theoretical 2x performance boost

If they were rendering half a frame each, any latency would create horrible screen tearing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks, however, screen tearing isn't a "big" issue with certain methods. I saw a video that used a "new" method of splitting frames that manages to look identical to the alternate frame rendering method, no tearing whatsoever. I can't remember what the video is called, but it was on Civ 5. They only showed it on Linux since it was easy for whatever reason. Probably since Linux is more edit friendly. The did show on single, triple, and even 6-way monitor setups.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10