Video Idea: Bottleneck Identification

So I know Linus has mentioned Bottlenecks in a few videos before, some for his channel, and some for NCIXtechtips, but I think it would be nice if he did a video dedicated to it.

I would like to see a video where Linus once again discusses bottlenecks, and then talks about how to identify them, hopefully with a few builds with varying components (some new some old) and then perhaps Luke could do some testing to show off some softwares they recommend.

I guess the only reason I would like this is because I'm kind of torn on what to do next for my computer. I figure the next logical upgrade will either be a Mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade or a GPU upgrade, but I don't know which will be more beneficial. I could upgrade to a 980 or a couple 970's (my current plan barring any new info from this video should it be created) or to upgrade to a nice new overclockable i5 with a Z97 motherboard. This would replace my dual GTX 660's or my ASRock X58 Extreme + i7 950.

My i7 is barely even stressed during my heaviest of loads (which would probably gaming + twitch streaming + torrenting in the background) but I also know that using an older platform has some disadvantages. I'm locked to PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0, I don't have SATA3, only SATA2, and there are (from what I understand) lots of benefits to upgrading to a computer that doesn't still use a North and Southbridge. 

Would upgrading my GPUs be a waste on such an old board? Am I not getting the full potential out of my current GPUs? Or is what I'm using fine, and a new GPU setup just what the doctor ordered?

With a video about identifying bottlenecks, I could hopefully see exactly what the slowest part of my comp is, instead of guessing. I honestly don't know how else to test besides running artificial benchmarks, and even then, interpretation is key.

Edit: My complete specs if it helps:

i7-950 @ Stock speed (3.07 GHz)

12GB Mushkin RAM

ASRock X58 Extreme Mobo

2x EVGA GTX 660 2GB SuperClocked

Corsair RM1000 PSU

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Sandisk 120GB SSD Bootdrive

1TB Barracuda Data Drive

1TB WD Blue Data Drive

3x ASUS 1080p monitors (in Surround) I forget the model number

Coolermaster Storm Scout II case

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

I'm all for it. As long as it stops people posting a "WILL THIS BOTTLENECK..." thread 50 million times a day.....

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I'm all for it. As long as it stops people posting a "WILL THIS BOTTLENECK..." thread 50 million times a day.....

it won't. every person has a different build and thinking is hard.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Heck yeah! FLAMIN' ANNOYING!!!

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I honestly dont think an I7 950 would bottleneck 2 970's and if it did I dont think it would be sever. the difference in PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of real world performance is pretty minor so i can say without a doubt the gpu upgrade would make WORLDS of difference to your setup. Personally If it were my money i would consider getting a single 970 for the time being with a nice I5 and mobo. pricing for an I5 and mobo (at least where i live) is in the same ballpark as a single 970 so pricing would be pretty close to buying 2 970's and would give you a beautiful upgrade with guaranteed room to toss another 970 in without fear of bottleneck down the line a bit.

it won't. every person has a different build and thinking is hard.

Yeah, so hard that it hurts some people. LOL :D JK

I just think it would be nice to see a couple pieces of software that they say "run this, interpret the data this way, boom, there's your issue." and if they ran it with a mix of old and new hardware, like a lot of people like me have, it would help us to understand what's actually holding us back.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

I honestly dont think an I7 950 would bottleneck 2 970's and if it did I dont think it would be sever. the difference in PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of real world performance is pretty minor so i can say without a doubt the gpu upgrade would make WORLDS of difference to your setup. Personally If it were my money i would consider getting a single 970 for the time being with a nice I5 and mobo. pricing for an I5 and mobo (at least where i live) is in the same ballpark as a single 970 so pricing would be pretty close to buying 2 970's and would give you a beautiful upgrade with guaranteed room to toss another 970 in without fear of bottleneck down the line a bit.

I'll consider it. One thing I'm nervous about is that my current motherboard is triple channel, so I have 3 4GB sticks, and to reuse those in a new build, it would drop me to only 2 4GB in dual channel, not sure what the effect of another stick in there to be 12GB would be on performance, but I don't want to have less RAM, as it is, I'm a tab fiend like Linus, so more more more.

My Build 

I just think it would be nice to see a couple pieces of software that they say "run this, interpret the data this way, boom, there's your issue." and if they ran it with a mix of old and new hardware, like a lot of people like me have, it would help us to understand what's actually holding us back.

I like your idea. It certainly would be quite helpful. B)

I'll consider it. One thing I'm nervous about is that my current motherboard is triple channel, so I have 3 4GB sticks, and to reuse those in a new build, it would drop me to only 2 4GB in dual channel, not sure what the effect of another stick in there to be 12GB would be on performance, but I don't want to have less RAM, as it is, I'm a tab fiend like Linus, so more more more.

Ive run 3 stick before, It shouldnt cause any issues that im aware of. Ive done some pretty messed up mix and match memory configs and its run quick and solid.

I like your idea. It certainly would be quite helpful. B)

Fingers crossed that someone at LMG sees this and likes the idea. As someone else said above, confirming my suspicions, the current mobo/cpu/ram I have isn't bad yet, just aging, so I'll likely get the new GPUs, but I'll say this much, now that the looks of a computer are a bit more in focus in the mainstream than they were back in 09, I'm looking forward to eventually getting a motherboard that doesn't literally feature 8 different color shades.

My Build 

Fingers crossed that someone at LMG sees this and likes the idea. As someone else said above, confirming my suspicions, the current mobo/cpu/ram I have isn't bad yet, just aging, so I'll likely get the new GPUs, but I'll say this much, now that the looks of a computer are a bit more in focus in the mainstream than they were back in 09, I'm looking forward to eventually getting a motherboard that doesn't literally feature 8 different color shades.

Just tag all the Admins with a profile picture. ;)

1366 is a weird socket. I am really happy with my i7 960 but my biggest problem is the motherboard. Even the used 1366 mobos are very expensive. 
On the other hand, the i7 9XX CPUs were great and i think they're still good (specially for gaming)

The biggest bottleneck in gaming is going to the the GPUs in this case. 

Okay, then somewhat related question, at least in regards to upgrades. 

If I was looking to get one 970 now (which is still more performance than my current two cards combined) and then perhaps another 970 down the road, which one would you guys recommend.

I've personally had luck with EVGA in the past, never even touched a Gigabyte product, but I have a friend who swears they are all no good, all doomed to fail (he's prone to hyperbole, this one). The issue is I like the look of the Gigabyte card more, and I like it's output options better (2 DVI + 3 Displayport + 1 HDMI vs. 2 DVI + 1 HDMI + 1 Displayport).

Anyone have experience with either card/cooler/brand?

My Build 

Okay, then somewhat related question, at least in regards to upgrades. 

If I was looking to get one 970 now (which is still more performance than my current two cards combined) and then perhaps another 970 down the road, which one would you guys recommend.

I've personally had luck with EVGA in the past, never even touched a Gigabyte product, but I have a friend who swears they are all no good, all doomed to fail (he's prone to hyperbole, this one). The issue is I like the look of the Gigabyte card more, and I like it's output options better (2 DVI + 3 Displayport + 1 HDMI vs. 2 DVI + 1 HDMI + 1 Displayport).

Anyone have experience with either card/cooler/brand?

Gigabyte cards tend to stay alive their entire lifecycle. So your friend is kinda wrong.

Gigabyte cards tend to stay alive their entire lifecycle. So your friend is kinda wrong.

I figured he was being overdramatic, but he insists that two seperate Gigabyte motherboards caught fire in his brother's computer, and has since sworn off the brand entirely.

My Build 

I figured he was being overdramatic, but he insists that two seperate Gigabyte motherboards caught fire in his brother's computer, and has since sworn off the brand entirely.

Some people may have bad luck with a brand but if you get a 970 and it actually catches on fire without being tampered with I'll buy you a beer because there's a slim to none chance it will.

Some people may have bad luck with a brand but if you get a 970 and it actually catches on fire without being tampered with I'll buy you a beer because there's a slim to none chance it will.

I hope you're serious, because I will hold you to that! 

My Build 

I hope you're serious, because I will hold you to that!

Just grab a picture and show me the card, you get a beer. :P