AntLion Audio - ModMic Version 4.0 + ATH-M50X, Should I?

xToFxREAPER
Go to solution Solved by dmanschramm,

You should.

Those headphones are one of the best on the market. My friend has a pair and they work great for him. Bass is full and sound is clear and its quite comfortable

Another friend has the Modmic and its on sale on Massdrop (until today/tomorrow so BUY IT) and the clarity is magnificent

So yes, its a great option, and buy the modmic tonight, so you can save about 20% on the price

Linus has a video on the ModMic 4.0 and loves it: link here

Hey friends and other fellow members,

I picked up some ATH-M50X's yesterday afternoon and after using them for gaming all day today it got me thinking... Why dont i use these for skype etc. With the lack of inline mic on any of the three cables included with the headset i set out to google in search of a solution. I came across this nice little item. It seems perfect for my use, Wont look to out of place and gives me the option to put it wherever i want to. Im not a fan of desktop mics as ive tried a few, I prefer to keep my desk nice and open. I was hoping one of you guys might know something about these things and if they are worth the price tag.

Anyone own or have tried one of these bad boys? If so can i get some feedback and maybe some other suggestions that could fill my purposes.

>>Product link<<

You should.

Those headphones are one of the best on the market. My friend has a pair and they work great for him. Bass is full and sound is clear and its quite comfortable

Another friend has the Modmic and its on sale on Massdrop (until today/tomorrow so BUY IT) and the clarity is magnificent

So yes, its a great option, and buy the modmic tonight, so you can save about 20% on the price

Linus has a video on the ModMic 4.0 and loves it: link here

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

You should.

Those headphones are one of the best on the market. My friend has a pair and they work great for him.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Im in love with the headphones. Ill throw an order down on massdrop right now, Thank you for the headsup sir ;)

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt a crap mic with a brand name like beats or some bs like that.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Im in love with the headphones. Ill throw an order down on massdrop right now, Thank you for the headsup sir ;)

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt a crap mic with a brand name like beats or some bs like that.

No its definitely not. In case you didn't see Linus' review I linked it when I edited my last post

I just bought one myself I really enjoyed the clarity for gaming, and Yeti or Blue Snowball are good options for professional recording, but gaming is what you're doing and the ModMic 4.0 is the way to go :D

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

No its definitely not. In case you didn't see Linus' review I linked it when I edited my last post

I just bought one myself I really enjoyed the clarity for gaming, and Yeti or Blue Snowball are good options for professional recording, but gaming is what you're doing and the ModMic 4.0 is the way to go :D

Oh i didnt realize linus did a review! im gonna go check it out right now. I already placed an order down on massdrop so now i just gotta wait for it to get here. At least i can enjoy the beauty of my new headphones in the mean time.

Those headphones are one of the best on the market. 

What a facepalm worthy statement. LCD-2, yes of course. HD800, it sure is. But M50x? LOL

What a facepalm worthy statement. LCD-2, yes of course. HD800, it sure is. But M50x? LOL

He was probably meaning in its own price range. Personally i would not agree with his statement. Not to say hes wrong but because its a matter of preference as linus has said many many times. With the amount i had to spend on headphones i would agree they were about the best i could have gotten. 

Gee, if only the M50x didn't sound identical to the M40x. 

He was probably meaning in its own price range. Personally i would not agree with his statement. Not to say hes wrong but because its a matter of preference as linus has said many many times. With the amount i had to spend on headphones i would agree they were about the best i could have gotten. 

No, MDR-1R is only $180 at amazon, I'd say it's better than M50X

What do you mean the $180 headphone that is actually worth $180 is better then a $100 headphone that cost $180? 

I got them for $150 including tax :/

Gee, if only the M50x didn't sound identical to the M40x. 

They didnt have the m40x's where i was buying. I purchased local because I couldnt wait for shipping. Family doesnt appreciate a 5.1 surround system waking them up at 2am lol so i went for the faster option. Im considering ordering myself some beyerdynamic custom one pro's and returning these when they come in. The shop i bought from said i can do that

Thanks you, I thought it was obvious what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear but I'm talking about IN ITS OWN PRICE RANGE.

Canada eh? 

Thanks you, I thought it was obvious what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear but I'm talking about IN ITS OWN PRICE RANGE.

Even then.

Even then.

Sorry m8 my opinion against yours agree to disagree

Canada eh? 

Even then.

This is a very opinionated disagreement. Considering i got them for $150 i would have to argue it would be tough to find another headset at that price point that will compare to it.

This is a very opinionated disagreement. Considering i got them for $150 i would have to argue it would be tough to find another headset at that price point that will compare to it.

The existence of the M40x pretty much ends the argument.

Except that the M50 is ten more, you keep forgetting this.   

I got them for $150 including tax :/

They didnt have the m40x's where i was buying. I purchased local because I couldnt wait for shipping. Family doesnt appreciate a 5.1 surround system waking them up at 2am lol so i went for the faster option. Im considering ordering myself some beyerdynamic custom one pro's and returning these when they come in. The shop i bought from said they wouldnt have a problem with me doing that

^^Im just going to quote myself here.. Due to some personal reasons i wont explain, i couldnt sit and wait for shipping on a pair of m40x's. As i also state im probably going to order some custom one pro's, After having tried my friends pair i really enjoy them

Except that the M50 is ten more, you keep forgetting this.   

Better pads, removable cable. But sure, pay ten more to not get those things if it floats the boat.

^^Im just going to quote myself here.. Due to some personal reasons i wont explain, i couldnt sit and wait for shipping on a pair of m40x's. As i also state im probably going to order some custom one pro's, After having tried my friends pair i really enjoy them

Obviously I was replying to the best headphone in the price range statement, not your justification for getting them.

Better pads, removable cable. But sure, pay ten more to not get those things if it floats the boat.

Obviously I was replying to the best headphone in the price range statement, not your justification for getting them.

You don't pay ten more, the M50x is ten more better then the M40x, so you have to get it regardless of cost. 

ahh fair enough. I have to say though I like the removable cables on these headphones, Leaving the coiled cable at my desk and using the shorter one for my phone/tablet in bed is a rather nice little perk. Either way ive decided im going to be ordering the custom one pro's tomorrow and returning the m50x's. Trying out my friends customs gave me a far more satisfactory listening experience despite the m50x's sounding great to.

You're entitled to have your own opinion, but you owe us an explanation so we could really understand it.

What headphones have you auditioned before? What headphones have you owned before? Why do you think M50X is the BEST IN ITS PRICE RANGE?

Because IMO, Q701 or MDR-1R will run a marathon around M50X at approximately the same price

You don't pay ten more, the M50x is ten more better then the M40x, so you have to get it regardless of cost. 

Goddamn, I've been doing it all wrong.