You have 300 dollars, what would you buy?

ClakeyD

Boom. Title. I'm looking for a new SSD to replace my dying OCZ. My budget is 300 dollars, nothing more.

500gb's is the size I'm looking at. Would like as fast as I can get for that price. Most people are pointing at the Samsung 850s and the sandisk extremes. I was wondering if there were any other comparable for that price point.

If you were in my position what would YOU buy?

Here's my current build (ignore the OCZ ssd)
https://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZcjDf7

Would pcie be a better option?

I have 300 dollars, I'm not buying anything...

Depends on what you need it for honestly, if it's just boot/storage, there's a minimal difference between a 300$ ssd and a 150$ ssd

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

- A better CPU cooler like the Kraken X61, Noctua NH-D15 or Swiftech H240-x ($150)

- Some Arctic MX-4 thermal compound ($7.50)

- Assuming space is an issue a 1 or 2 TB HDD ($80)

Put the rest towards maybe another R9 290X

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Boom. Title. I'm looking for a new SSD to replace my dying OCZ. My budget is 300 dollars, nothing more.

500gb's is the size I'm looking at. Would like as fast as I can get for that price. Most people are pointing at the Samsung 850s and the sandisk extremes. I was wondering if there were any other comparable for that price point.

If you were in my position what would YOU buy?

Here's my current build (ignore the OCZ ssd)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kvc2TW

Would pcie be a better option?

I would get the samsung 850 if it were my money, I own an 840 evo and its been reliable and stable since i bought it which was at launch. I know Linus and his crew are using 850's for the site i believe :)

Honestly I would grab a 240-256gb ssd. Probably an MX100. Unless you REALLY need to spend that $300 and REALLY need the space.

I have 300 dollars, I'm not buying anything...

Depends on what you need it for honestly, if it's just boot/storage, there's a minimal difference between a 300$ ssd and a 150$ ssd

You should give me your monies...

I'm planning on putting all of my games on this new SSD, and using my other smaller SSD as a boot drive. I have a 120gb OCZ which ran fairly well for the first couple years, but its taken a massive dive. I want to invest in a really solid performing/reliable one.

- A better CPU cooler like the Kraken X61, Noctua NH-D15 or Swiftech H240-x ($150)

- Some Arctic MX-4 thermal compound ($7.50)

- Assuming space is an issue a 1 or 2 TB HDD ($80)

Put the rest towards maybe another R9 290X

Funny you say that, i'm actually planning on picking up the Swiftech H240-x :D. I just purchased my 4790k for 90 bucks, So I will be selling my 4770k and H80i to a friend.

Space isn't so much of an issue, my 500gb seagate is only at about 40% capacity, but my SSD's are both nearly full. I've been spoiled by their speed and since one of them is on the way out, I think grabbing a large SSD will relieve all of my storage needs for the next couple years.

Regarding another 290x... Is microstuttering still a big deal right now? I'm running a 120hz monitor so having everything above 120 frames consistantly would be nice, but not at the cost of screen tearing/stuttering.

I would get the samsung 850 if it were my money, I own an 840 evo and its been reliable and stable since i bought it which was at launch. I know Linus and his crew are using 850's for the site i believe :)

Another for the 850! More then likely am going to end up picking one of those up, seriously have yet to hear something bad about them. Now, would you go 850, or 850 pro O.o?

Honestly I would grab a 240-256gb ssd. Probably an MX100. Unless you REALLY need to spend that $300 and REALLY need the space.

I've set aside the $300 specifically for this upgrade, and am content with parting with the entire 300. But as others have stated I guess I could grab a less expensive SSD and then upgrade another component in my system. I've seen MX100, MX500 (I have one) and MX550 which one would be the best choice? I don't REALLY need the space right now, I think its more of a piece of mind thing. Not having to worry about space...ever...omg pls

Regarding another 290x... Is microstuttering still a big deal right now? I'm running a 120hz monitor so having everything above 120 frames consistantly would be nice, but not at the cost of screen tearing/stuttering.

2-way SLI/CF doesn't really have a lot of microstutter if any

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

2-way SLI/CF doesn't really have a lot of microstutter if any

Oh man. You may have created a monster.

Lot of good answers here, but if thst was my build that 500 gb hdd has got to go. Throw in a much bigger capacity drive and put the rest to either better cooling (as suggested) or a 2nd gpu depending on the machines main role.

- Alston

You should give me your monies...

I'm planning on putting all of my games on this new SSD, and using my other smaller SSD as a boot drive. I have a 120gb OCZ which ran fairly well for the first couple years, but its taken a massive dive. I want to invest in a really solid performing/reliable one.

Funny you say that, i'm actually planning on picking up the Swiftech H240-x :D. I just purchased my 4790k for 90 bucks, So I will be selling my 4770k and H80i to a friend.

Space isn't so much of an issue, my 500gb seagate is only at about 40% capacity, but my SSD's are both nearly full. I've been spoiled by their speed and since one of them is on the way out, I think grabbing a large SSD will relieve all of my storage needs for the next couple years.

Another for the 850! More then likely am going to end up picking one of those up, seriously have yet to hear something bad about them. Now, would you go 850, or 850 pro O.o?

I've set aside the $300 specifically for this upgrade, and am content with parting with the entire 300. But as others have stated I guess I could grab a less expensive SSD and then upgrade another component in my system. I've seen MX100, MX500 (I have one) and MX550 which one would be the best choice? I don't REALLY need the space right now, I think its more of a piece of mind thing. Not having to worry about space...ever...omg pls

850 will do you fine, Unless the small amount of difference in speeds is going to justify the pricing for you then theres no need for a pro. The 840 Evo i use is considred "slow" and my system still boots in a matter of seconds. When it comes to ssd's i find in a real world usage case the difference in speeds is pretty small

Lot of good answers here, but if thst was my build that 500 gb hdd has got to go. Throw in a much bigger capacity drive and put the rest to either better cooling (as suggested) or a 2nd gpu depending on the machines main role.

Didn't think about the HDD. I guess I could just pawn that off and replace it with a 500gb+ ssd. I will more then likely end up upgrading my cooling when I receive my new processor.

I'd just snatch a 2tb hdd instead for mass storage. Doesn't cost much more than the 500gb.

- Alston

PSU's, RAM and Drives for Twofold.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

4690k + Z97 mobo. Squeeze in a cooler if I can too.

System: Thinkpad T460

I would get a AM3+ Motherboard and water cooling for my CPU and GPU. 

PCIe SSDs are ridiculously expensive.

I would get a AM3+ Motherboard and water cooling for my CPU and GPU. 

PCIe SSDs are ridiculously expensive.

Yea the performance seems pretty crazy, but for one 500gb PCIe I can get like... 3 500gb SSD's. Hard to justify :/

Upgrade my custom loop to nicer looking acrylic tubing and maybe another HD for backups

OCZ Velodrive 320GB

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015