Apple, HTC, and Samsung may include heat pipes in new phones

Emperor_Piehead

All 3 of these vendors are thinking of putting in small heat pipes into their phones. this will be achieved by using ultra thin heat pipes that are 0.6 mm in diameter which is about half the size of what is in ultrabooks (desktops mainly use 6mm and 8mm). Since the conventional graphite plus foil cooling method is no longer able to dissipate enough heat in modern smartphone models efficiently, after 4G becomes a common transmission specification for smartphones in the future, the heat problem is only expected to become worse. Currently there are working designs for these heat pipes, but the 3 companies are aggresively researching new versions of this technology and could be seen in phones as early as Q4 2013.

source- http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130617PD221.html

The heat pipes would be nice to dissipate heat but I hope the pipes aren't exposed outside the phone.

That was my wonder is will the heat pipes go outside the phone or to a really small fan or something else.

Heaven forbid, fans on a phone  :blink: I remember my uncle joking about the first Intel Medfield-powered smartphones being 2cm think and having a small, obnoxiously loud fan, and I really don't want any of that to become the truth...

On a serious note, if it helps SoC cooling with the user barely (if all) noticing - no outside heatpipes, please :D, it's a good idea and I'm looking forward to Apple, HTC & Samsung doing something about it  :)

Heaven forbid, fans on a phone  :blink: I remember my uncle joking about the first Intel Medfield-powered smartphones being 2cm think and having a small, obnoxiously loud fan, and I really don't want any of that to become the truth...

On a serious note, if it helps SoC cooling with the user barely (if all) noticing - no outside heatpipes, please :D, it's a good idea and I'm looking forward to Apple, HTC & Samsung doing something about it  :)

Well HTC could try something where the aluminum body is the receiver of the heat pipes, but then the phone would feel really hot

so the heatpipe will have to go to a heatsink, where will the heatsink take space from in the already compact phones? Probably the battery, which sucks.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Can I just strap a H100i to my iPhone and be done with it LOL but i dont see the point because as I see it a heatpipe is a way to move heat from a cpu or gpu to a heatsink and phones dont have heatsinks they just use the metal inside the phone or the case as a heatsink.

Does anyone else find it annoying that some sites are actually referring to this as "liquid cooling".

Does anyone else find it annoying that some sites are actually referring to this as "liquid cooling".

Yes that is why I used digitimes as a reference instead of other websites calling it liquid cooling.

If they keep making cell phones that use more power, which causes more heat to be generated, and "solve" that problem by making the battery smaller, I will be extremely disappointed.

Anyways, this may simply be used to distribute the heat more evenly over the surface of a phone, which seems sort of unnecessary for metal-body phones and sort of ineffective for plastic, or phone manufacturers don't know what they're doing.

Exactly - now I won't have one half of my phone get untouchably hot, the entire case will just warm up a little  :) I can deal with that; come on you guys, phones never give out more than a Watt of heat, and this distributed evenly on the entire phone surface shouldn't bug even the most grumpy users  :D

Small pipes :S, quad core is enough for a phone, but installing heat pipes means they are going to make the CPU for phones faster, to me this is a crap idea. Because one day, there will be a thin fan installed in these -.-

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Honestly, I don't like this development. They should rather focus on phones not using that much energy, so they last longer.

What's the point of having a phone that weighs a tonne and only lasts 2hrs...

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Or maybe they could calm down on trying to have 8 core, 3Ghz processors and do something about battery life?

Edit: like the above two posters said

custom EK water blocks available for your Galaxy S5, Pre-Order Now!

and than overclock it ;)

Really at this time phones would be fast enough to calm down speed boosts for a generation or 2 and focus on efficiency.