What I ment was that when the padding is squished(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Dz5SDQQus#t=179), your chair looks much softer than mine. Even though their website states that the different styles of the f-series is equally soft.

I also cannot feel the "wires" in my seat, and I'm probably a bit heavier than Linus :)

Maybe the NA model is different to the EU model?

Ah! Gotcha.

Could be!

Please do more chair videos. I have no idea which one of this big lineup to choose. :D I like your detailed description of your sitting position. I need one that doesn't let me slip forward with my butt and avoid my shoulder to hang forward. Something that supports my back (I'm tall and skinny).

who cares...

I've been looking to replace my cheapo box store chair with something like this because I saw a decent deal at Costco. 

Trying to find something in the $200-400 range since I sit on my ass all day - but this seems to be a bit gimmicky and probably a terrible quality/price purchase.

Ok...Spending $500 on a "Gamer" chair is really, really dumb.  You are paying for terrible marketing, that's it.  Linus has to review this crap because he needs to pay the bills, but you don't.  Products like this are the equivalent of the Doritos and Mountain Dew Xtreme products.

Buy a real office chair.  Not the fake stuff you see at Staples or Target, but a real chair that professional offices use.  These are the people who have to sit on their ass for 8-12 hours a day, 260+ days a year, for years on end.  Real office chairs have to be comfortable for long sittings, for all body types, and last decades of everyday use.   The fake crap you are buying is meant for people to surf the net on for 20 minutes a day and last a handful of years at best.  If you are sitting there for 4+ hours in a raid/match on your $2500 machine then you owe it to yourself to invest in a real chair, not the cardboard box you've been sitting on.

Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Leap are two of the most popular chairs out there for a reason, they are amazing.  I highly recommend either of them, and both of them come in Gaben sizes if you're the size of two Linuses.  Also note how little padding that modern office chairs have compared to the Gamer/Walmart chairs.   Good chair manufacturers (mostly) stopped covering up their products in piles of foam 30 years ago and haven't looked back.  The cheap ass products need to add a bunch of padding to their products to cover up the fact that they're supported by a steel plate and a bit of cardboard with zero flexablitly.

But I don't want to spend $750-$1000 on a chair you say?  Then don't! Buy used and shop around!  Some company is always going out of business and selling off their crap, or upgrading because their old model isn't pretty enough/doesn't match the new paint the VP picked out/is last years model/etc.  You can get the top end chairs for around half price pretty easily.   If that doesn't work for you, pick up one of their lower models that fit into that $200-$400 price range that so many of you are looking for.  A bad Herman Miller chair is going to be better than a great 'Gamer 9000 XP Racing!!1!' chair.  Look up "best office chair" lists, and then go from there to find the good cheap ones.

What should you look for in a chair?

1. Name Brand.  Normally this is #2 on the list, but I'm bumping it up to #1 because of the topic I'm posting it in.   Pick from the big office supply companies who do this for a living and have spent 10's of millions on R&D (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale, Knoll, Allsteel, Biofit, etc)  Just like you wouldn't buy a knockoff Power Supply or a video card from "Radical Gamerz", don't buy a knockoff chair from Walmart.  Many of these companies make a massive variety of chairs, but generally you want something from their "Task" or "Work" lineups.
  2. Adjustability.  The most important thing when buying a chair.  People are different sizes and body shapes.  We also change our sitting habits throughout a period of sitting, time of day, alertness, etc.  Chairs that move with you and adapt to your body's current need are the way to go.  (Yes, the great chairs actually do that.  Yes, it actually works.  Yes, you've been missing out like a dirty peasant for all these years.)
  3. Materials and look.  This is really subjective.  Some people are obsessed with looks or a specific colour (or your spouse is), so this may come into play.   My recommendation is to avoid leather, it isn't as durable or flexible, and doesn't breath as well as mesh/fabric.  In most cases, piles of cheap foam is just there to cover up cheap/terrible design.
  4. Try before you buy.  This one is hard to do, but it is possible.  Look up the professional office retailers in your area.  They won't be in a box store, probably a warehouse without a real storefront.  Some of them will have a showroom set up for demos which they may let you look at.   Keep in mind their sales team is busy trying to sell an order of 250 chairs, so they're probably not going to care about the single guy who is probably going to buy online.  If you're cheap, these local companies are also the ones who will be able to get you a lead on discounted used chairs as they often are involved with resale as well!

too much to quote

the dxracer is $350 new, did you personally try to use it and didnt like it?

i personally went to stores to try out chairs and i still ended up getting the dxracer because it just fitted my body better

also theres not many people complaining about them, maybe its not as bad as you think

labeling something as gaming may not mean its better than everything else, but it doesnt mean its worse either

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

But I don't want to spend $750-$1000 on a chair you say?  Then don't! Buy used and shop around!  Some company is always going out of business and selling off their crap, or upgrading because their old model isn't pretty enough/doesn't match the new paint the VP picked out/is last years model/etc.  You can get the top end chairs for around half price pretty easily.   If that doesn't work for you, pick up one of their lower models that fit into that $200-$400 price range that so many of you are looking for.  A bad Herman Miller chair is going to be better than a great 'Gamer 9000 XP Racing!!1!' chair.  Look up "best office chair" lists, and then go from there to find the good cheap ones.

I'm still kicking myself for not instantly driving to a city 100 miles away to pickup a Leap that was being sold for $180... was gone the next day.

the dxracer is $350 new, did you personally try to use it and didnt like it?

i personally went to stores to try out chairs and i still ended up getting the dxracer because it just fitted my body better

also theres not many people complaining about them, maybe its not as bad as you think

labeling something as gaming may not mean its better than everything else, but it doesnt mean its worse either

Did you try nice expensive office chairs? Also, the biggest thing I've learned about chairs is while most all of them are really comfortable for a few minutes when you are testing them out, very few can be sat in all day long. If you are going to sit in your chair for an hour at a time max, sure, go for whatever.

Trust me, if their chairs were good enough to compete with high end office chairs they would market the living crap out of that and try selling them to businesses as that is where the big money is at... but they don't because they know they aren't comparable.

Disclaimer: I have not, and very likely never will sit in a racing gamer chair... maybe if one of my friends was to buy one, but they all know better so I doubt it. Several of my co-workers have been selling office chairs for 20+ years and I highly doubt any of them have even heard of DX Racer, if they were good don't you think chair experts would know of them?

The best analogy I can think of is keyboards. You spend your childhood using cheap membrane keyboards (big box store chairs), and then find out about these sweet gaming keyboards (DX Racer) and think OMG that is L33T SWAG or whatever you kids say these days. All these gamers are promoting the living crap out of the the gaming stuff (pointing at you Razer products) so everyone thinks they are great... then one day you decide to try out a mechanical keyboard (proper office chair) and realize that even though it is 10x as expensive as your cheap membrane it is WELL worth it.

I have never seen a review of a gaming chair by anyone other than gamers, who know nothing relatively about chairs... Try and find a review of a DX Racer chair by someone who reviews Steelcase, Knoll, Humanscale, Herman Miller, etc chairs, I doubt any exist but would love to watch it if you can find one. A few years ago I would have been one of those people who thinks something like this would be a great chair, until I found out about the world of real office chairs... Earlier in this thread I posted about a ~$250 OTG chair when giving some reasonably priced examples, it is many times better than the ~$150 Sams Club chair I used to buy and replace every 2-3 years... for out in my workshop I wanted a chair that would really hold up to abuse so I went with a ~$650 Steelcase Cobi Stool and while I did get it much cheaper than that due to employee discount it is still WELL worth the money and I wouldn't mind having paid $650 looking back on it. I no longer have back issues from sitting too long, and have never gotten discomfort sitting it it where the OTG chair starts to get uncomfortable after 4 hours or so.

And it there is nothing to the chair... basically no padding on the bottom and NONE on the back (just mesh and flexible plastic), yet it is like a cloud.

IMG_20150104_113805951.jpg

It is entirely possible that I am completely wrong about DX Racer chairs, but no way in hell am I going to risk $300 to find out.

I'd love to see more chair videos.  Especially the premium office chairs that chakfel and Scheer are talking about.  They seem particularly adamant that gaming chairs are a gimmick, and I am inclined to trust their opinion.  

LMG is in a good position to offer an opinion that I would trust to answer the question "gamer chair or premium office chair".  I would like this question answered as I am looking to buy a higher quality chair in the near future.  

Is it only Linus using these chairs?  Could more of LMG use them and offer their opinions as to their preference in these videos?  Maybe a roundup video would be good after everyone has tried them all.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

• 2 weeks later...

Linus it sounds like the D-series might be what you're looking for. I have this one http://www.dxracer.com/art36_dxracer-oh-da02-gn.html and it's got the firmer foam but it might be a little bigger than the F-series. I'm 6'4" and it's a little small for me, but I can deal. I wanted the K-series because it was the tallest, even taller than the M-series, but the price on the D-series was much nicer to cope with. Only thing is the D-series doesn't have adjustable arm rests, but they are semi-squishy instead of hard plastic like my last chair.

Actually, from what I've seen, arm rest adjustability with the D-Series depends on whether you go with a PU leather model or a fabric model. The ones I'm looking at do have height adjust

On another note, is anyone familiar with the difference between aluminum and nylon when it comes to chair bases?

Actually, from what I've seen, arm rest adjustability with the D-Series depends on whether you go with a PU leather model or a fabric model. The ones I'm looking at do have height adjust

On another note, is anyone familiar with the difference between aluminum and nylon when it comes to chair bases?

Ah, mine's grey fabric cover, no armrest adjust whatsoever, suits me fine

Praise the Lamp!

• 2 months later...