Looks like I broke my CPU ... (update: look like it's my Ram)

Shyxlol

Well, I redid my custom loop and then decided to power up my system. (When redoing the loop I didn't remove the CPU block from the MoBo and neither did I remove the MoBo from the case)

Aaaaand it didn't start up. It went on, immediately restarted and was stuck - no display output and only the DRAM led on my Asus board lit up.

So I went ahead and removed both of my Ram sticks, checked them one by one and in different slots. Nothing changed. I read that DRAM led issues could be related to the cpu. And mine is delid and "naked" (no IHS) so I thought I might have cracked it when reinstalling tubing on the CPU block. So I went ahead and removed the block.... And dropped the CPU that stuck to the bottom of the block. Poor tiny, little thing.

Now when I try to start the PC, the CPU led lights up. Is there any other explanation except a broken CPU?

Would appreciate any thoughts. Should I just buy a new CPU? CPU and RAM?

PS: It's a 1155 board.

Update: CPU led off; DRAM led red again!

Wait a sec...

And dropped the CPU that stuck to the bottom of the block. Poor tiny, little thing.

You dropped your CPU?!

I'd probably say RIP CPU.

Any idea though why the PC didn't boot before I dropped the CPU? I mean, if I cracked the CPU I probably would have gotten the same error I'm getting now.

if the CPU was alright before I had the brilliant idea to destroy it, why was I having RAM issues? Ram faulty as well?

Wait a sec...

You dropped your CPU?!

It was stuck the the bottom of the water block, didn't notice and then it dropped down from the block.

Any idea though why the PC didn't boot before I dropped the CPU? I mean, if I cracked the CPU I probably would have gotten the same error I'm getting now.

if the CPU was alright before I had the brilliant idea to destroy it, why was I having RAM issues? Ram faulty as well?

Well if the CPU was faulty the board might not have known what to do, so it just chucked up an error, after removing it it might detect no CPU.

It was stuck the the bottom of the water block, didn't notice and then it dropped down from the block.

There's about 99% chance you completely destroyed it when you dropped it. You now can't even get warranty. I hope it was not an expensive CPU, because it's dead now.

You could try to diagnose, why there was an error, but you would probably fail and just waste time.

Well there was a problem before you dropped your cpu, now you have a dead cpu so thats an even bigger problem. But dont worry money is just an ilusion, also #yolo

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

hope its still under warranty. good chance its not.

id say you done cracked the die.

i think it survived the fall

any time your torquing heat sinks \ water blocks down onto a naked chip you have an extremely high chance of cracking the die. the first time is usually fine. its once you start fixing the cooler multiple times things start to stress and become weaker.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

hope its still under warranty. good chance its not.

OP said he delidded it. So you can safely assume there is no warranty. ;)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

OP said he delidded it. So you can safely assume there is no warranty. ;)

as long as there is no physical damage to the pcb or ihs there is always hope. this stuff worked for me 3 times, no questions asked. a little dab on the outer perimeter (inside edge) of the ihs will do ya

post-4039-0-26888600-1419882639.jpg

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Was already looking for cheap CPUs on ebay and thought: "Hey, might as well give it another try and research other reasons for the red-led." (I have tendencies to get stuck on small things and set my mind and not look for other options).

Then I read that Asus MoBos have the CPU-led go red if there's no 8-pin installed. My 8-Pin is really crowded against a radiator so I had to take it out when redoing my loop... Pressing down hard on it once made a somewhat loud "click" noise which made me want to shoot myself! Plugged everything back in and the light is no longer lighting up!!! 

While that made uber happy, the DRam-led is still red. Any ideas what I should do? I didn't actually touch the Ram when I redid the loop so these are some things I'll try:

-check the backside of the MoBo and make sure nothing is shorting out behind the Ram

-check all 8 possible positions (4 per stick)

-I might have access so another computer. If that one has 8 gigs I should be easily able to borrow a stick.

edit: Looks like I rejoiced too early, the Cpu-led is red again :|