What are the Pros and Cons of mSATA SSD, SATA SSD and HDD?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

The main difference is form factor. SATA SSDs tend to be a bit cheaper as well, from what I've seen. 

There's the benefit of being able to easily move SATA SSDs from system to system, as they're supported by every motherboard, unlike mSATA.

Hi guys,

I'm Ribal and I am a new member in this forum so I'm kind of lost here -hopefully this post is in the right place-

I was customizing a gaming laptop on xoticpc.com when I noticed that they give you three different choices for the storage unit which are mSATA SSD, SATA SSD and the regular HDD.
I know enough about the SATA SSD and HDD but I have very few information about mSATA SSD, so if you guys can help me out and tell me what are the differences between mSATA SSD and SATA SSD. Also which is best and more reliable to be used as a main storage unit.

Thanks in advance.

Not much difference between msata and sata other than form factor. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

mSata vs Sata = Size difference and nothing else. I've yet to see a limitation in any form between the 2

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

So which should I go with? because I will RAID 2 units any advice?

The main difference is form factor. SATA SSDs tend to be a bit cheaper as well, from what I've seen. 

There's the benefit of being able to easily move SATA SSDs from system to system, as they're supported by every motherboard, unlike mSATA.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

So which should I go with? because I will RAID 2 units any advice?

Sata ssds will can be easily moved to another system in the future since it's a common form factor. Msata ssds are smaller and can leave an open slot for a 2.5" hdd for mass storage.

Up to you which option is more valuable.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You probably aren't looking at mSATA but M2.0 which is faster than mSATA. The big thing in a laptop is that it won't take a drive spot if you go with the M2. The bad thing, besides cost, is that once configured it's a bitch to upgrade. Take a look at Linus's attempt with the iMac. That is a M2 drive based system.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!