The Best GTX 970?

risegyuki
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

I state that i won't overclock.

With that being said which one should I get?

If you are not OCing... Galax HOF. It's a total waste of money, but it's the strongest card you can get. Or Zotac AMP! Extreme. Again, a total waste of money, plus it's not a very good card, but hey, if you can't find Galax, this should be easier.

Okay, now back at being real, MSI gaming 4g.

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but there is no best. Any card has potential. Spec wise some might be better than others, but all the GTX 970 cards are pretty nice. 

I would look for one that you like the looks of, and choose from a reputable brand with a good warranty. 

GIGABYTE for OC, STRIX for quietness, MSI for budget.

MSI for budget?? It's only like £5 less than the STRIX and £15 less than the G1 in UK. I think it's better than the STRIX though, looks and performs slightly better. Only minus is no backplate.

I have been wondering something. The MSI requires 1x 6 pins and 1x 8 pins connectors from the PSU. The Asus only requires 1x 8pins. Does this mean that the Asus should draw less power ? Or that the MSI overclocks more ? I'm wondering if this difference in PSU connectors could mean something in term of stability and durability.

I have been wondering something. The MSI requires 1x 6 pins and 1x 8 pins connectors from the PSU. The Asus only requires 1x 8pins. Does this mean that the Asus should draw less power ? Or that the MSI overclocks more ? I'm wondering if this difference in PSU connectors could mean something in term of stability and durability.

Not certain, but I think because the MSI has more pins required, meaning it will OC more stably and possibly (or therefore?) more.

Good question.

At idle and during load, the Asus DOES draw less power. That's only natural, it performs worse as well. You could get the MSI and downclock it to match Asus standards, if you want that for some reason.... So in this regards, no difference in power draw. HOWEVER, when OCing, things change. With only it's 8pin connector, the Asus can't draw as much power as the MSI. This reflects in your OC being limited. And there is the difference: you can lower MSI Tdp to match Asus, but you can't increase Asus OCed tdp to match MSI.

I doubt this matters, since you say you don't want to OC or DownC. Let me give you this comparison on power draws:

1. Asus wins (2W) with Display off.
  2. MSI wins (2W) with Display on.
  3. Asus wins (36W) while under load.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!