Used GTX 670

NCC1701D

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to purchase a used Asus GTX 670 for 140$ (CAD).

From other forums and on benchmark sites it seems like it still performs really well maxed out or on high on most games today but before I buy it I would like your opinion and was wondering if anyone has any experience with purchasing used GPUs and if there is something I should look out for, etc. I'll be running it with a 4.0ghz 4670k and Sabertooth z87 and after a couple of months will put it in another PC and upgrade.

Thanks

As long as it wasn't used for mining should be good. (only really AMD cards)

Make sure it 100% works before buying.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My GTX 680 is used when i bought it.  just make sure to test it and make sure the person doesn't look suspicious.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I've bought R9 270X's that were used in mining from ebay for sub $100.  If they are cheap enough I say its worth the risk even if they were used in mining.  Even if they do break down you can repair them fairly easily in most cases and its all worth it if you can get a couple years out the cards.

Welcome to the forum, Enterprise  ;)

Anyway, I'd say go for it if it works. Maybe reconsider spending that much on a motherboard though.

Woo!

My GTX 680 is used when i bought it.  just make sure to test it and make sure the person doesn't look suspicious.

Same here!

@OP: Cards should be fine used, as long as the seller can prove that they work fine under heavy load.

Sig under construction.

Thanks for the replies!

On another note, there is also a GTX 590 Classified by EVGA available to me for the same price, would it be a better choice? I've read horror stories about that card failing, artifacts, overheating, etc. so I'm not sure if it's a safe purchase. I'd get the seller to test it in front of me of course. 

Thanks again!

How much did you pay for a used 680? I was going to sell mine once I buy a newer gpu.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I have a an ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II. The thing is dead quiet and has great frame rates in every game I have played (made Far Cry 3 its b*tch :P  -- Far Cry 4 not so much until the recent game patches). In my opinion, it is currently the best bang for the buck GPU for 1080p.

Maybe you can get the dude to show you videos of the card playing games to make sure it isn't artifacting?

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Yeah the seller of the 590 can't provide live proof that the card is fine so I think I'll go for the 670.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the replies!

On another note, there is also a GTX 590 Classified by EVGA available to me for the same price, would it be a better choice? I've read horror stories about that card failing, artifacts, overheating, etc. so I'm not sure if it's a safe purchase. I'd get the seller to test it in front of me of course. 

Thanks again!

I would go for the 670 because of things like shadowplay and in-home streaming! The 590 won't be able to use those features.

GTX 670 is a great card better than a 760 and uses alot less power than the 500 series, runs cool too, got my MSI Power Edition on e-Bay for 135 USD shipped and am as pleased as I can be. 

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz OC'ed to 3.4,  Asus M2N 32-SLI Wi-Fi Deluxe ,  MSI GTX 670 OC Power Edition 2 gig , Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler,

2GB x 4 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 8GB Edition Dual Channel,  Rosewill Hive 650 Watt Semi modular, Win 7 Ultimate  64bit