Best way to paint case fans?

CJPowell27

I want to paint my fans blue so they will go with my color coordination.  Is there a good way to pain them without them getting much louder?  I know some of you will say just buy blue fans but NO, I need to save as much money as possible so I can buy a 770 ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Wouldn't it be more efficient for the fans themselves if you dyed the plastic as apposed to painting them?

Sarah Jessica Parker

I want to paint my fans blue so they will go with my color coordination.  Is there a good way to pain them without them getting much louder?  I know some of you will say just buy blue fans but NO, I need to save as much money as possible so I can buy a 770 ;)

Um I'm not really sure I would think you could just spray paint them and run them outside the case for a little while in case the fans chip off any paint. Thats about all I could think of why what color are the fans now? Also what case?

Wouldn't it be more efficient for the fans themselves if you dyed the plastic as apposed to painting them?

Oh good point you could get some rit dye and just dip them in a pot. There are videos about dying plastic in rit on youtube.

I think it's mostly an issue with the aerodynamics of a fan being lessend when you just paint them. I know I've heard that you should never paint a fan or they'll slow down.

Sarah Jessica Parker

Painting fans without screwing up the balance is hard. Trust me I've tried.

Painting them as they are would result in major inconsistencies so you will have to remove the fan blades off of the shroud.

I watched this guide when I first attempted painting a fan.

Um I'm not really sure I would think you could just spray paint them and run them outside the case for a little while in case the fans chip off any paint. Thats about all I could think of why what color are the fans now? Also what case?

They are black or else i would've just dyed them.  I am either getting a NZXT Phantom or Bitfenix Shinobi (leaning towards phantom) So i can go with a white and blue theme.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

You could probably still dye them. You would just have to buy a lighter dye to counter-act the darkness of the black.

Sarah Jessica Parker

I've painted a few of my fans in the past

I found that its not that hard, and it ended up working perfectly

I use krylon paint for that

This is taken from my build log

Fan1_zps06bb3fe6.jpg

Fan2_zps7eee6dd2.jpg

fan3_zpse0d57f1c.jpg

Fan4_zps7fd8e52e.jpg

I think this video is amazing. This guy's build is epic. Truly epic.

He paints his fans byrotating them and adding 1 coat to each fin blade respectively timing it so that they basically have the same amount of paint on each one. There by being balanced. This build is from August of last year.

He paints the fans at about 1:50-2:10.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I paint 90% of the fans i buy, majority of the higher end fans are rather easy to disassemble.

I'll give you fair warning, when removing the horse-shoe clamp, WEAR SAFETY glasses.

Ive had these things pop out and hit me in the face countless times, and are incredibly hard to find.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

I've painted a few of my fans in the past

I found that its not that hard, and it ended up working perfectly

I use krylon paint for that

This is taken from my build log

Fan4_zps7fd8e52e.jpg

That looks quite nice, but it should be noted that you only painted the frame there, not the blades.

The problem is coating the blades with anything (even the thinnest layer of paint) can screw up the balance and aerodynamics, which can really come in to play when they're spinning at however-many hundred RPM.

It's not impossible, certainly, but it's still a complicated endeavor; if it were me, I'd probably just try to find fans that fit the scheme I was looking for (or if the colours were workable, dying the plastic I suppose), rather than painting.

Oh good point you could get some rit dye and just dip them in a pot. There are videos about dying plastic in rit on youtube.

The problem is they are dark grey (basically Black) and I can't dye them