What is the different between the WD Blue and WD Black?

Pooherino ツ
Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,
Hi there @Pooherino ツ!

The Blue drive is designed for everyday computing purposes, has 2 years warranty and is limited to 1TB of space.

WD Black on the other hand is meant for gaming and demanding applications and has the necessary build-in features that will give you faster loading times. Like dynamic cache for instance which optimizes the cache allocation between reads and writes and Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), which helps to protect and limit the potential problem of data loss during power failure or power loss to the hard drive. Also, the drive has capacity up to 4TB and limited warranty of 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

Black is faster, noisier, eats more power, has better build quality, longer warranty, more expensive.

Blue is a hard drive that is fine and works. Cheaper. I prefer it.

And blacks are available in sizes larger than 1 TB, while blues are not. ;)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

My son uses a blue drive. After one year it had bad sectors. Windows had to do a repair after checking errors. I've had my black a month longer and is great and way faster than my Barracuda.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I have 2 Western Digital Black HDDs and so far no problems. I got them for the warranty and performance over other brands. I have 2 SSD's. Samsung 830 256GB and Crucial MX100 512GB which I just bought today for $199.99. My blacks are 1TB and 2TB.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Blues are the normal desktop drive that caps at 1TB.

Blacks range more in size up to 4TB and are performance drives. They tend to be louder, run hotter, and draw more power.

Note that the video here is using one of the best variations of Blues. The best Blue does perform similarly to the Black. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi there @Pooherino ツ!

The Blue drive is designed for everyday computing purposes, has 2 years warranty and is limited to 1TB of space.

WD Black on the other hand is meant for gaming and demanding applications and has the necessary build-in features that will give you faster loading times. Like dynamic cache for instance which optimizes the cache allocation between reads and writes and Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), which helps to protect and limit the potential problem of data loss during power failure or power loss to the hard drive. Also, the drive has capacity up to 4TB and limited warranty of 5 years.

Hope this helps.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there @Pooherino ツ!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thorough explanation