Any reason not to get a GTX 970 right now?

gilgameshflood

I can buy the card right now. I think this card has the best price to performance(for my budget) right now and that this will have me set up for high end gaming for a few years.
The only reason I haven't bought it is that I'm not in a hurry right now, I can wait for a few months and see if AMD's new cards can compete with this one.
Should I buy this anyway? Do you think the performance difference will be big with whatever new manufacturing process AMD will use?

I can buy the card right now. I think this card has the best price to performance(for my budget) right now and that this will have me set up for high end gaming for a few years.

The only reason I haven't bought it is that I'm not in a hurry right now, I can wait for a few months and see if AMD's new cards can compete with this one.

Should I buy this anyway? Do you think the performance difference will be big with whatever new manufacturing process AMD will use?

What card do you currently have?

I've heard they have coil whine.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

only reason I could think of is possible coil whine, though its been getting less common over time, or at least it seems like it is.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've heard they have coil whine.

Mine doesn't. If they were really that bad, it wouldn't be selling as much as it is. Forget this crap about coil whine, it's just luck (or the lack of it).

Well, maybe you should wait AMD then. They -might- be better for cheaper. Or might make 970s prices drop, which I HIGHLY think won't happen, but who knows... Also since you are waiting, just save up for Broadwell/Skylake and get an entire new pc. Because you know... why not?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What card do you currently have?

650 ti. Playing on medium, I don't  mind graphics much but now I want to see how it's like playing at high end.

A new series of GPUs could be right around the corner, that is why I did not buy a GTX9xx series, Unless if you buy within the first few months its really not worth it to me.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

It'll have you set for pretty high end gaming for a couple of years, and after that I imagine it'll still be a nice midrange card for a year and a half, maybe two years. I think the best argument against buying a GTX 970 right now is that we might have an idea of what the GTX 960 is going to be in two weeks, and maybe Nvidia goes for the jugular against AMD in the midrange market. But ultimately I'd reject that argument and say that 970 is a hell of a bargain for your dollar, and what if Nvidia lets the price increase once they have the 960 on the market? Get the 970; I think it's a better bet that the 960 comes out at $250 with performance closer to the 770's than the 780's, in which case the 970 is the better buy for the money. Now if you had a GPU like a GTX 680/770 or R9 280x/HD7970 or better I'd say to wait for the R9 3xx series which could come out anywhere from February to maybe May or June 2015, but too much uncertainty when you have a 650 Ti and the 970 would be an enormous upgrade.

650 ti. Playing on medium, I don't  mind graphics much but now I want to see how it's like playing at high end.

The I say go for it! Unless of course you want to buy a 980. However at 1080p you don't really need to.

My 970 has coil whine that gets really loud, but only if i stress test it, I have yet to hear it at all in games, and I run everything so far at max settings. I think the whole coil whine argument is a bit silly. Even the whine I hear at max load isn't loud enough to be distracting over my audio, if it were to happen during gaming.

Is there a reason why the 970 has more coil whine problems than other high end GPUs?

To the OP since you have a 650ti, which is a noticeable slower card, there's nothing wrong with upgrading now.

I had coil whine when i first got it. It has been gone for awhile now. 970 is a great card and definitely worth the price.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I can say that if you wish to wait, it will likely pay off.  AMD's next set of GPU's are likely to be 20nm, and there's a rumor that they may be delayed to May, but could be seen as soon as Feb, so I say wait as CES is just a few days away.  Also we should expect some amazing performance and some -really- great efficiency with 20nm and possibly HBM if AMD truly did switch to it.  So, I vote to wait if you -can-.  If you can't and all, then a 970 should be amazin'.

Thank you all. I think Ill wait and see if AMD can offer a significantly better card with their new release coming soon. 

A new series of GPUs could be right around the corner, that is why I did not buy a GTX9xx series, Unless if you buy within the first few months its really not worth it to me.

A new series of GPUs is always just around the corner but you will pay more for them at release too ;)

If you want almost the same performance for less money ,get the r9 290.

It's dirt cheap(280€ here in italy)and with a good cooler like the TRI-X or VAPOR-X it's veery quiet

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

If you want almost the same performance for less money ,get the r9 290.

It's dirt cheap(280€ here in italy)and with a good cooler like the TRI-X or VAPOR-X it's veery quiet

It's just hotter, and consumes craptons of power. And it's a lot more expensive (here).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!