Is your steam library going to last forever?

Bloodyvalley
Go to solution Solved by ToxicRaven,

Found this Reddit thread about the issue:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18mzcn/iaskedsteamsupportwhathappenstomygames_if/

The OP posted a screenshot of a Valve representative's response: 

4sa1Ln6.jpg

What do you mean?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well, the game in my library that I play the most is by far skyrim, which at this rate will last a really long time.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

In 2100, will I still have my steam account with all my games?

Depends if Steam is still around.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Steam will probably be dead by then. They'll unlock the DRM, then let you download all your games. Or something similar.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Steam will probably be dead by then. They'll unlock the DRM, then let you download all your games. Or something similar.

Or make your games unusable.

with all the money they make, I highly doubt that.

IDK. I can't buy any. I only have 4 games in my library.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have 70.

I have 70.

Wow, you really need to one up me?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think it only speaks to how much I spent and how many unplayed games I have.

Well, I'm not much better, i only have 11

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I think it only speaks to how much I spent and how many unplayed games I have.

Still, at least you have the money to play.

If it helps, I have 287. Not including the games my friend is sharing with me, which increase the whole thing to 358. :lol:

Those cheap bundle games add up quick.

In any case, I believe Valve has said in the past that if Steam is to ever shut down, they will basically unlock the DRM and let you download your games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's hard enough to run some games from 2000s or so and a few years back on that awkward 1995-1998 phase of windows games some of them are still basically unplayable by normal means. And we're talking less than 20 year old games, they'll just be gone in 50 years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's hard enough to run some games from 2000s or so and a few years back on that awkward 1995-1998 phase of windows games some of them are still basically unplayable by normal means. And we're talking less than 20 year old games, they'll just be gone in 50 years.

How is it hard for you? I have a RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 game from the 1999 era and i can run it just fine.

In 2100, will I still have my steam account with all my games?

Very much not planning on being alive in 2100 ... (I'd be 131 yo by then) .. but since you can pretty much VM anything to day I'd expect a compatibility option to be there. One example is the MESS project where software from all the way back to the 1950's are being kept alive today .. 

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

How is it hard for you? I have a RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 game from the 1999 era and i can run it just fine.

Notice the "some" on my phrase: I do run some of them flawlessly. Others, well they don't like widescreen ratios and can be from inconvenient to non even fucking possible to get on widescreen. Others like Planescape: Torment have more subtle issues like the gaming working ok (well not actually ok, looks like shit and can't be easily be made to work on 1080p or even widescreen) only for me to run into a game stopping, unresolveable bug like 3 or 4 hours into the campaign. I basically have to do with LGR has recommended which is go buy a PC from 2001 or something pre-xp and have that one as a dedicated old school machine. Or virtual machines which introduces it's own lists of complications.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't think that would be the problem, it could end up being incompatibility problems more than anything.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

if not, there will be torrent...

Because lets be honest, it will be a "few" years down the line for the biggest PC store to shut down, and by then, most of the games will be really old ( let say 20-30 year old) and noone would give a crap if you would torrent it. 

with all the money they make, I highly doubt that.

Bigger companies then Valve have fallen.

Apple was in near bankruptcy when Microsoft bailed them out

and then of course the massive dot com crash of the late 90's - Early 00's

I hope my Steam library does last forever if it can be used by relatives of mine and so on and they get some happiness out of it.  As for it lasting forever who knows what the future holds but I remember my brother saying that the people behind Steam guaranteed that if they went out of business tomorrow they already have a plan in place that will allow us to download/keep all our games.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S