First time overclocking with two 970's

I just purchased two MSI twin frozer 970's and plan on overclocking them but I have no prior experience with it and am wanting to gain as much knowledge on it as I can. How exactly do you overclock? What all programs can you use and what do ya'll recommend to do it. What should I expect to get out of them. Is there a safe area with these cards that I should stay within or do they all differ in their limits. Any and all responses and feedback are greatly appreciated and I am becoming more and more of a fan of this forum. PCMRFTW!

Why overclock in the first place? Unless you really need the extra performance there isn't much point voiding your warranty on 2 970s. They should already run most your games pretty nicely at stock.

Do change the fan curves since most stock fan curves are crap

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Install afterburner, up the mhz in small increments and run a benchmark.

Ok, I see a few things that count by mhz, do I do them all evenly?

Ok, I see a few things that count by mhz, do I do them all evenly?

Just up it by 5 each time.

Why overclock in the first place? Unless you really need the extra performance there isn't much point voiding your warranty on 2 970s. They should already run most your games pretty nicely at stock.

Well I'm getting a 4K display in the near future and want to be able to play high end games at decent fps so the boost will be helpful.

Well I'm getting a 4K display in the near future and want to be able to play high end games at decent fps so the boost will be helpful.

I'd wait to see how much performance you get at stock on that 4k. Don't bother voiding your warranty now if the boost is going to be a minority on a 4k display.

I'd wait to see how much performance you get at stock on that 4k. Don't bother voiding your warranty now if the boost is going to be a minority on a 4k display.

OC doesn't void warranty. Extreme over 1.3V would but light OC doesn't. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I just purchased two MSI twin frozer 970's and plan on overclocking them but I have no prior experience with it and am wanting to gain as much knowledge on it as I can. How exactly do you overclock? What all programs can you use and what do ya'll recommend to do it. What should I expect to get out of them. Is there a safe area with these cards that I should stay within or do they all differ in their limits. Any and all responses and feedback are greatly appreciated and I am becoming more and more of a fan of this forum. PCMRFTW!

If you still want to be able to do some gaming for like 3 hours straight, I recommend doing a 50-100Mhz ish over clock. I have a MSI GTX 970 gaming twin frozr too, and it runs very cool at only 70C while running Heaven. (non-OC) 

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit