thoughts on fx-9590?

Go to solution Solved by ultimategamernerd,

Then at this point a quad core would be enough for you, but you can go slightly high end without breaking bank. 4820k/4930k will serve you fine. If you live within an hour of Microcenter, they sell CPUs cheaper than anyone. Then you can order the other components through Amazon, Newegg, etc..

awesome :) thank you so much...this has been the MOST helpful info ive ever gotten on thsi upcoming build. :) im going intel quad core. 

So i just planned a workstation build, and i was wondering what you experienced techies think of the FX-9590? Is there a better solution for AutoCad-style workloads? whats the best intel alternative? 

Thanks everyone :D 

Intel, my friend. That 9590 will try to burn your house down the first chance that it gets.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So i just planned a workstation build, and i was wondering what you experienced techies think of the FX-9590? Is there a better solution for AutoCad-style workloads? whats the best intel alternative? 

If you don't have a fireplace and want something to put your stockings over this Christmas then it's a good choice. Otherwise even a 4790K will be better.

"Rawr XD"

It's just an overclocked 8350, pick up an 8350 instead..

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Intel, my friend. That 9590 will try to burn your house down the first chance that it gets.

Lol. This.^

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

waste of money 

Intel loves you why don't you give them a chance to show you how much ...

My dad cooked thanksgiving dinner on top of that chip.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

A nice heater.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The truth is the 9590 is a very old, inferior architecture even for integer operations. In CAD where you are starting to find floating point math leveraged, it just gets worse with FX having 2 cores share 1 floating point unit.

The suggestion of 5820K is probably the best one unless you need audio too or super fast storage solutions, in which case the 5930k is better suited due to the PCIe lane count of 40 vs 28. It's just too bad AMD doesn't have the architecture for a WS APU and Intel hasn't yet made the jump to putting Iris Pro on the E-series chips. Finally in Skylake we'll see though as a direct counter move to the enterprise version of Carrizo.

Also, do you perhaps need ECC for your work? In that case you need a Xeon since they're Intel's only ECC chips.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If you don't have a fireplace and want something to put your stockings over this Christmas then it's a good choice. Otherwise even a 4790K will be better.

will a Dark Rock Pro 3 alleviate this concern? or...

The truth is the 9590 is a very old, inferior architecture even for integer operations. In CAD where you are starting to find floating point math leveraged, it just gets worse with FX having 2 cores share 1 floating point unit.

The suggestion of 5820K is probably the best one unless you need audio too or super fast storage solutions, in which case the 5930k is better suited due to the PCIe lane count of 40 vs 28. It's just too bad AMD doesn't have the architecture for a WS APU and Intel hasn't yet made the jump to putting Iris Pro on the E-series chips. Finally in Skylake we'll see though as a direct counter move to the enterprise version of Carrizo.

Also, do you perhaps need ECC for your work? In that case you need a Xeon since they're Intel's only ECC chips.

i dont need ecc...the modelling is for personal projects, and small ones at that. my concern is thus: i have a very limited budget. Its unfortunate, i know. but i need to fit a quadro workstation into a 1500$ price range...you seem a LOT more experienced than i...and ive done my research...but what would YOU suggest for such a task, build wise?

i dont need ecc...the modelling is for personal projects, and small ones at that. my concern is thus: i have a very limited budget. Its unfortunate, i know. but i need to fit a quadro workstation into a 1500$ price range...you seem a LOT more experienced than i...and ive done my research...but what would YOU suggest for such a task, build wise?

If you don't need ECC and absolutely must pay the price for a Quadro... Dare I say scale back farther to the Z-series quad-core I7s so you can put more of those bucks into the Quadro or maybe go back to X79 for a cheaper 6-core chip than Haswell-E? What's the biggest size project you're gonna work on? Will that project size increase? What software are you using? I don't do CAD and professional work. I experiment with GPU acceleration but I build a lot of rigs. I can do some research to see how CPU thread scaling affects your software though.

will a Dark Rock Pro 3 alleviate this concern? or...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The DRP (derp) 3 would melt. That's only half a joke. The 9590 is a 225Watt chip. I would barely trust a 4930K to it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The DRP (derp) 3 would melt. That's only half a joke. The 9590 is a 225Watt chip. I would barely trust a 4930K to it.

ohhhh...okay. thanks man. saved my bacon...not really tho because apparently i could have made some with that cpu...

If you don't need ECC and absolutely must pay the price for a Quadro... Dare I say scale back farther to the Z-series quad-core I7s so you can put more of those bucks into the Quadro or maybe go back to X79 for a cheaper 6-core chip than Haswell-E? What's the biggest size project you're gonna work on? Will that project size increase? What software are you using? I don't do CAD and professional work. I experiment with GPU acceleration but I build a lot of rigs. I can do some research to see how CPU thread scaling affects your software though.

those are all very good ideas. I will be using Autocad 2014/15 to make custom phone cases, etc. w/ the Robo3d 3D printer. as long as it can handle smaller workloads perfectly, without any hiccups, im good. i dont need to model game worlds or oil rigs or anything, just VERY small and simple mod-type stuff. it will probably not increase much, as ill just keep on making things small enough to print in the printer. i dont want to make you do a ton of work for me, but if you have the time, and its not very far out of your way, i would really appreciate the help. thanks for your time :)

ohhhh...okay. thanks man. saved my bacon...not really tho because apparently i could have made some with that cpu...

They ship with their own water coolers for a reason. ;)

those are all very good ideas. I will be using Autocad 2014/15 to make custom phone cases, etc. w/ the Robo3d 3D printer. as long as it can handle smaller workloads perfectly, without any hiccups, im good. i dont need to model game worlds or oil rigs or anything, just VERY small and simple mod-type stuff. it will probably not increase much, as ill just keep on making things small enough to print in the printer. i dont want to make you do a ton of work for me, but if you have the time, and its not very far out of your way, i would really appreciate the help. thanks for your time :)

Then at this point a quad core would be enough for you, but you can go slightly high end without breaking bank. 4820k/4930k will serve you fine. If you live within an hour of Microcenter, they sell CPUs cheaper than anyone. Then you can order the other components through Amazon, Newegg, etc..

awesome :) thank you so much...this has been the MOST helpful info ive ever gotten on thsi upcoming build. :) im going intel quad core.