Any word about 8Gb variant of the GTX980?

OlekKing

I was nearly 100% set on getting two EVGA SC 980s in the next 2 weeks but started thinking about the 8Gb version and how it might release in the next few months, there were rumours about Nvidia announcing it this month but all quiet now.

Took around 10 months for the 6gb 780, i don't know if i should wait the extra months. Or maybe the 100 or whatever that i'll lose trading up for the 8GB versions will be worth it for the short amount of fun i'll get in the meantime...Bit torn here...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Honestly, If you're not doing anything ultra high res, 2 980's at 4GB are fine.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

i doubt you need 8gbs unles you doing triple sli.. 

i could be wrong tho

If it's that much of an issue to you, and whatever in almost every game at 4K 4GB is still plenty but if you do care, I'd go with the 8GB 290X or R9 390 when that's released.

Bit torn here...

I read that a "Bittorrent" thinking, "Wow, Impressive, this guy is gonna pirate a GPU." :P

If you can afford to upgrade your GPU every 2 years or so, then forget the 8gb version. 4gb should be enough to run all games for the next 2 years, most maxed out. you can get the GTX 1190 Ti 64gb version, a couple of years from now.

Honestly, If you're not doing anything ultra high res, 2 980's at 4GB are fine.

i doubt you need 8gbs unles you doing triple sli.. 

i could be wrong tho

Did i ask your opinions on whether i need the extra VRAM? No i didn't. Please stop with this.

I already have a warning, so i'll respectfully tell you to **** off with that type of "advice".

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I read that a "Bittorrent" thinking, "Wow, Impressive, this guy is gonna pirate a GPU." :P

If you can afford to upgrade your GPU every 2 years or so, then forget the 8gb version. 4gb should be enough to run all games for the next 2 years, most maxed out. you can get the GTX 1190 Ti 64gb version, a couple of years from now.

Oh look another one.

I didn't ask anyone's advice. My language is quite clear.

I ask whether there's any word out there about the 8GB variant and whether anyone thinks it might come soon, so maybe i should just wait.

reported for behavior.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

Last time we heard, this wasn't happening. And even if it were, with that memory bus, it's useless. The GTX 980 has trouble with 4GB as is. The GTX 970 spanks an R9 290X at 1080p but gets beat at 1440p/4K.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If a 256-bit bus doesn't bottleneck 8GB (and I'd imagine it would), I'd guess within the next three months IF the bottleneck isn't severe enough to justify it. There's no confirmed word on it that I'm aware of.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Oh look another one.

I ask whether there's any word out there about the 8GB variant and whether anyone thinks it might come soon, so maybe i should just wait.

Let me correct my self then.

*AHEM* You'll end up losing more than just $100. We probably wont see 8GB 980's till CES and even then release times for CES stuff is 6-12 months AFTER the show. With that knowledge, my first statement stands.

Edited by ArkAngel_X
"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

Did i ask your opinions on whether i need the extra VRAM? No i didn't. Please stop with this.

I already have a warning, so i'll respectfully tell you to **** off with that type of "advice".

Oh look another one.

And all this is going to do is get you more points

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

calm down, just don't want you overspending your rich people money

reported for behavior.

Go troll somewhere else.

Oh look another one.

Is this how you treat everyone who gives you good advice?

I retract my last statement. What you really need to do is buy two Titan Zs. Then you will have ALL OF THE VRAM.

Like others have said, it was a rumour started by online websites because of the Sapphire 8GB 290X. I would expect an 8GB variant for the big daddy Maxwell GM210, but the GM204 would likely buckle trying to run a game that used an 8GB frame buffer.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If a 256-bit bus doesn't bottleneck 8GB (and I'd imagine it would), I'd guess within the next three months IF the bottleneck isn't severe enough to justify it. There's no confirmed word on it that I'm aware of.

AFAIK that was just a rumor.  A 980 isn't well equipped to handle 8GB of VRAM anyway, I doubt it would be able to do much with it on a 256-bit bus.

Even with the new memory architecture and color compression?

As I recall the R9 290X is a better option for 4K for the fact that the 970 struggles with 4GB on a 256-bit bus, despite the 970 being as strong or stronger than the 290X.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yes, even with.  4GB on a 256-bit was silly before.  With Delta compression, now it's more practical.  8GB is still silly though.  NVIDIA's best numbers were about 25% more memory throughput than before, which makes 4GB a good fit on a 256-bit bus, but just barely.

Is this how you treat everyone who gives you good advice?

I retract my last statement. What you really need to do is buy two Titan Zs. Then you will have ALL OF THE VRAM.

I came here to ask about any shred of information that might be floating around in regards to the 8GB variant of the 980 and if anyone had any speculation of their own in regards to a possible release window.

I didn't come here to ask your opinion about the usage of 8GB VRAM. And i see shit posting like this about how "overkill" X VRAM is all of the time, it is uncalled for, i used specific language in attempts to not get it here, but it still happened.

Do i have to literally f*ing state at the end of my posts that i don't want to hear about it? Is that the only way for you to notice something, by me carrying around a figurative sign above my head?

Like others have said, it was a rumour started by online websites because of the Sapphire 8GB 290X. I would expect an 8GB variant for the big daddy Maxwell GM210, but the GM204 would likely buckle trying to run a game that used an 8GB frame buffer.

Which has always annoyed me, tbh, with GPUs. Every GTX 770 should have had 4GB VRAM because two of them would have really benefited from it. And I don't care if that does or doesn't make sense as an initial solution to buy over a 780 (which also should have had 4gb), it was an upgrade path that was closed off by its 2GB limit.

And sure (an expensive one) turned up eventually -- long after pretty much who was going to buy a GTX 770 already had one.

So yeah. It annoys me that the amount of VRAM that gets put on a GPU is matched to how much a single card could feasible use.

I came here to ask about any shred of information that might be floating around in regards to the 8GB variant of the 980 and if anyone had any speculation of their own in regards to a possible release window.

I didn't come here to ask your opinion about the usage of 8GB VRAM. And i see shit posting like this about how "overkill" X VRAM is all of the time, it is uncalled for, i used specific language in attempts to not get it here, but it still happened.

Do i have to literally f*ing state at the end of my posts that i don't want to hear about it? Is that the only way for you to notice something, by me carrying around a figurative sign above my head?

You could start by not swearing at anyone who took the time to give you their advice. Maybe that might be a way forward.

And actually, no, because if you re-read your OP, you weren't asking about rumours. You weren't talking hypotheticals or "whatever happened to x?" You said that you were delaying buying a GPU that tbh you were always going to be fine with for the sake of an 8GB variant that may or may not ever come. So actually the advice you got was pretty helpful, and your reaction was to swear them. But no, you're the one being reasonable in this scenario.

the newest color compression that nvidia is using is their 3rd iteration of the same color compression algorithm. Its not light years ahead of Kepler. According to Nvidia, the 224GB/s memory bandwidth of the 980 is about equal to 300GB/s uncompressed on average.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Which has always annoyed me, tbh, with GPUs. Every GTX 770 should have had 4GB VRAM because two of them would have really benefited from it. And I don't care if that does or doesn't make sense as an initial solution to buy over a 780 (which also should have had 4gb), it was an upgrade path that was closed off by its 2GB limit.

And sure (an expensive one) turned up eventually -- long after pretty much who was going to buy a GTX 770 already had one.

So yeah. It annoys me that the amount of VRAM that gets put on a GPU is matched to how much a single card could feasible use.

You could start by not swearing at anyone who took the time to give you their advice. Maybe that might be a way forward.

And actually, no, because if you re-read your OP, you weren't asking about rumours. You weren't talking hypotheticals or "whatever happened to x?" You said that you were delaying buying a GPU that tbh you were always going to be fine with for the sake of an 8GB variant that may or may not ever come. So actually the advice you got was pretty helpful, and your reaction was to swear them. But no, you're the one being reasonable in this scenario.

Pat yourself on the back.

I won't even try responding. In fact i'll just stop asking about anything on this forum and stick to the news section. Best way to avoid an aneurysm.