WiFi randomly disconnects.

WooZ_Lv

Just for no reason wifi in our house disconects from computer(not from all at the same time) and it happens on Win 7 and Win 8/8.1.

We have modem with wireless access point not router.

We have modem with wireless access point not router.

What do you mean?

Because he had a hard drive.

Is it only from your PC ? if it's install the drivers for the card, if not reset the router/access point/....

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Is it only from your PC ? if it's install the drivers for the card, if not reset the router/access point/....

Nop. 

What information do you need. Just wifi sometimes disconects from some pc and I don't know why.

Nop. 

What information do you need. Just wifi sometimes disconects from some pc and I don't know why.

Try to upgrade the frame ware of the accespoint helped me once, did you try to reset the accespoint and the modem.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Hey Guys,

What about interference, we all seem to forget that this is a signal that is sent through the air.

Are you near anything that could be interfering with the signal, microwaves are very good disrupting this, as are walls and cordless phones. 

Also how many other access points are in your area, you could just be fighting for the air with all you neighbors. 

John.

Hey Guys,

What about interference, we all seem to forget that this is a signal that is sent through the air.

Are you near anything that could be interfering with the signal, microwaves are very good disrupting this, as are walls and cordless phones. 

Also how many other access points are in your area, you could just be fighting for the air with all you neighbors. 

John.

But if that is true then how shouldn't be getting a signal or it will be very week.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

you can have a strong signal, but still have interference.

It is not like a cable in that the 1's and 0's will pretty much always get to the other side.

There is a protocol that all wfi routers, AP's etc use to manage the communication and this is called CSMA/CA, this is "Carier sense mulitple access with collision avoidance", now the connection that you have between the computer and the AP needs to be kept alive by a packet called a "keepalive".

If you have a lot of ap's in the area fighting for the same space then  CSMA/CA could be delaying the keepalives from getting to the AP in time so the connection disconnects. CSMA/CA dictates before transmitting any packets you have to listen to the air for other packets then you have to schedule a time with the accesspoint to send your packet, if you cannot get that time slot or if the competing AP's use the same time slot your keepalives will get lost. Therefore get disconnected.

So as you can see interference is a lot moire complicated than just having a "good signal"

If you have any questions please let me know.

John.

you can have a strong signal, but still have interference.

It is not like a cable in that the 1's and 0's will pretty much always get to the other side.

There is a protocol that all wfi routers, AP's etc use to manage the communication and this is called CSMA/CA, this is "Carier sense mulitple access with collision avoidance", now the connection that you have between the computer and the AP needs to be kept alive by a packet called a "keepalive".

If you have a lot of ap's in the area fighting for the same space then  CSMA/CA could be delaying the keepalives from getting to the AP in time so the connection disconnects. CSMA/CA dictates before transmitting any packets you have to listen to the air for other packets then you have to schedule a time with the accesspoint to send your packet, if you cannot get that time slot or if the competing AP's use the same time slot your keepalives will get lost. Therefore get disconnected.

So as you can see interference is a lot moire complicated than just having a "good signal"

If you have any questions please let me know.

John.

Your solution would be ? I don't want to buy another AP.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

This would depend,

The information given on the situation is not enough to make a diagnosis on this, I am just putting forward the most likely from my experience in  deploying this type of access.

The first thing that I would do to try a find out if this is the issue is look at the amount SSID's showing in your area, is there a lot ?

once you have that use a tool such ad this http://www.inssider.com/ to see what channels the other AP's are using if you can find one that is free (or the least used) 1, 6, 11 are good choices if you can as they are not overlapping. Then change your to use that.

If all of this does not help then use the tool again I think the free one comes with the spectrum analyzer to look for other sources of interference. IE cordless phones, microwaves. 

If it is interference then buying a new AP is not going to help you.

If you need any further advice or have any questions please let me know.

John. 

Try using a Ethernet cable for a while so you can find out if the problem is from interference or something else.

And more information like what modem it is and what happens after it stops working(does it start working after restarting modem or does it take a while before it starts working) would be good.