Cold startup, no signal on monitor

Lauen

Whenever I have turned off my computer and let it cool down, I have to use the MemOK! button or the DirectKey button to get it to start sending video to my monitor. Sometimes it takes several attempts, alternating between the MemOK! and the DirectKey buttons, and sometimes it's just a matter of pressing the MemOK button once.

EDIT: When I power on the system, it takes about 20 seconds, and then I hear the Windows Startup sound.

My system is:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2

AMD Athlon II x4 OC to 3.39 GHz cooled with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 with push-pull fans.

Crucial BallistiX Elite 1600 MHz, but as the CPU is overclocked it is set to 1599 MHz, by the OC Tuner tool in the BIOS.

ASUS GTX660Ti DirecCU II

ASUS Xonar D2X

Samsung 830 256 GB

2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Cooler Master GX650W PSU

All inside a Fractal Design Define R4 (which I love)

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Check that your mobo is seated properly in the case. If not, send the mobo back after testing your ram and doing a bios reset.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Flashing asus bios's is really easy. I need to flash mine all the time, during those 5 seconds I just pray the power doesn't go out randomly.

try setting all settings to stock and raising mem voltages to a little over stock to make it more stable. Then boot it up and run prime and mem test stability. If it doesn't work try new ram or a different cpu like a old dual core amd for 50 dollars

Check that your mobo is seated properly in the case. If not, send the mobo back after testing your ram and doing a bios reset.
It is seated correctly. I flashed the BIOS (three weeks ago) and reset it yesterday, and reverted my overclock back to stock settings. However, the RAM voltage was set a little low compared to what it says on the package. It's set to 1.5 V now, but at 1600 MHz 8-8-8-20 it's supposed to be 1.65 Volts. I started running Prime95 yesterday, so when I get back home I'll see whether it survived it or not.

Flashing asus bios's is really easy. I need to flash mine all the time, during those 5 seconds I just pray the power doesn't go out randomly.
I have the newest BIOS, I flashed it about three weeks ago.

try setting all settings to stock and raising mem voltages to a little over stock to make it more stable. Then boot it up and run prime and mem test stability. If it doesn't work try new ram or a different cpu like a old dual core amd for 50 dollars
Gonna get some old 2 GB dimms today, if the computer still goes nuts over the weekend, I'll try the old 2GB dimms. If not, I have plans about getting an 8350, so I can overclock the CPU without having to overclock the RAM at the same time.

You know what... I just had this problem about 20 minutes ago. Woke my PC up from sleep, fans spun, lights flashed, all normal, but nothing on the monitor T_T. Honestly first time I've had this problem. Solved it quickly by hitting reset, but blah, wtf? I did spend the night before undervolting my 7870 to get better case temps, which that worked very well, then I up'd the voltage a bump for safe measure. I'll keep working on this until I solve it.

Not trying to hy-jack your thread Lauen, we're just having similar problems. Lauen, have you tried not using the OC tuner? I know what it is and I made sure I never touched it.

You know what... I just had this problem about 20 minutes ago. Woke my PC up from sleep, fans spun, lights flashed, all normal, but nothing on the monitor T_T. Honestly first time I've had this problem. Solved it quickly by hitting reset, but blah, wtf? I did spend the night before undervolting my 7870 to get better case temps, which that worked very well, then I up'd the voltage a bump for safe measure. I'll keep working on this until I solve it.

Not trying to hy-jack your thread Lauen, we're just having similar problems. Lauen, have you tried not using the OC tuner? I know what it is and I made sure I never touched it.

I've actually set all my settings back to standard, and this morning, it worked fine. I figure I'll just keep the standard settings till I get this months pay, and I'll get and FX 8350, It'll work nicely for some gaming, video editing and rendering. As I already have a Sabertooth 990FX R2, I don't bother going over to Intel.

I had issues once before where my Sabertooth z77 wouldn't booth with Patriot 16GB of ram @ 1600MHz. However, I fixed the issue by 1st only using one stick of RAM then it booted. Once it booted I went into the BIO's and turned on XMP profile. Saved. shutdown. I installed the other 8GB of ram and my system POSTed with no problems. So, did you enable the XMP profiles for those ballistic elite RAM? cause i know that rams has XMP Profile, also, I heard you should use the XMP profile instead of manually changing it to 1600MHz if thats the case.

Folks, I believe I have solved it. I reset my clock to standard settings, and set my RAM to 1600 MHz with 9-9-9-20 timings, and the typical scenario where I have to use the MemOK! buttons, it started up as normal! I'll check again this evening, when I get home, if it still works. And to make overclocking simpler in the future, I'll get an 8350, so I don't have to alter the FSB to get an overclock.

I had issues once before where my Sabertooth z77 wouldn't booth with Patriot 16GB of ram @ 1600MHz. However, I fixed the issue by 1st only using one stick of RAM then it booted. Once it booted I went into the BIO's and turned on XMP profile. Saved. shutdown. I installed the other 8GB of ram and my system POSTed with no problems. So, did you enable the XMP profiles for those ballistic elite RAM? cause i know that rams has XMP Profile, also, I heard you should use the XMP profile instead of manually changing it to 1600MHz if thats the case.
I'm pretty sure that AMD platforms don't support XMP

Folks, I believe I have solved it. I reset my clock to standard settings, and set my RAM to 1600 MHz with 9-9-9-20 timings, and the typical scenario where I have to use the MemOK! buttons, it started up as normal! I'll check again this evening, when I get home, if it still works. And to make overclocking simpler in the future, I'll get an 8350, so I don't have to alter the FSB to get an overclock.
ok thats great new well done!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️