LTT Think Tank for New Modem Router and Switch

Honestly I can't say. We use a Fibre media converter for our modem at work, which is powered by like a $20,000 Cisco router, so it's a beast.

However, the router is doing all the heavy lifting, so multiple user throughput shouldn't be much of an issue. You're gonna be heavily limited by your total bandwidth from the Internet plan anyway, depending on your usage patterns (QoS in the EdgeRouter should help alleviate that if it becomes an issue).

As far as the modem is concerned, it's only one user's worth of Data, since the Router is doing all the NAT (Network Address Translation = One IP of the Modem to Many IP of the local devices).

The Draytek or Cisco units will have a LOT more direct configuration and control though, and probably more features. I can't say whether that would actually be useful to you.

I just need a set up that can handle my potential use case. Once it's plugged up and running I want to just leave it to it's thing. 

Reliability

Consistent throughput for multiple devices

3 x PC's

1 x HTPC

5 x Game consoles

3 x Laptops

1 x Tablet

1 x Ipod Touch

4 x Mobiles

1 x Foxtel digital HD Box

1 x Nas

This is so much above my current skill base, I feel so lost ahahahahaaha

I just need a set up that can handle my potential use case. Once it's plugged up and running I want to just leave it to it's thing. 

Reliability

Consistent throughput for multiple devices

This is so much above my current skill base, I feel so lost ahahahahaaha

For sure haha it is a bit daunting no doubt. The trickiest part is knowing when to cross into enterprise grade, since I'm used to 100-200 concurrent users (Or more - we have 6 Cisco Access Points, and we can often see 400 people on them throughout the day). So my knowledge there is hard to translate into 10-20 users.

If you're worried, just grab either the Draytek or Cisco modem. I imagine they would both perform about the same. I'd probably pick an entry level or slightly higher Business Class from either.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Question

I'm seeing 1 x WAN (or 2 x WAN) listed on the modem/modem routers but I am unable to tell whether it's an RJ11 or RJ45 port.

Is there a way to tell?

Are they're converters?

Question

I'm seeing 1 x WAN (or 2 x WAN) listed on the modem/modem routers but I am unable to tell whether it's an RJ11 or RJ45 port.

Is there a way to tell?

Are they're converters?

Just look at what kind of Modem it is. As long as it's an ADSL2+ modem, then one of the ports will be RJ11. It should also list that in the detailed specs or in the manual (both should be available on the manufacturers websites).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just look at what kind of Modem it is. As long as it's an ADSL2+ modem, then one of the ports will be RJ11. It should also list that in the detailed specs or in the manual (both should be available on the manufacturers websites).

Could this be a solution

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/RJ11toRJ45A.html

Now I can choose whatever router, switch and access point I want?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_329&products_id=14902&zenid=79027b8d9b2ffefd0b4171bc8be858b5

I found this and it seems to be exactly what I needed

Now the difficult part for me...

Plug RJ45 cable from splitter into the Ubiquity, run switch and r700 from the Ubiquity and bobs ya uncle?

Apologies but it's seems like the internet has completely died on Christmas eve and I am on my phone :/

Could this be a solution

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/RJ11toRJ45A.html

Now I can choose whatever router, switch and access point I want?

No, this would not help you in the slightest. All this does is change the connector physically from RJ11 to RJ45. The pinout would still be a single pair only. If you plugged it into a Router, the router simply wouldn't know what to do with the signal.

You NEED an ADSL2+ modem. No way around it.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_329&products_id=14902&zenid=79027b8d9b2ffefd0b4171bc8be858b5

I found this and it seems to be exactly what I needed

Now the difficult part for me...

Plug RJ45 cable from splitter into the Ubiquity, run switch and r700 from the Ubiquity and bobs ya uncle?

Apologies but it's seems like the internet has completely died on Christmas eve and I am on my phone :/

No this would not work either. Not to say you couldn't use it, but all this is is a "DSL Filter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

A DSL Filter just filters out the "Internet" signal for a phone line, so that when you pick up the telephone, you don't hear that "dial-up" noise.

As noted about, you still need an ADSL2+ modem. None of these will supplement that. The ADSL2+ modem needs to be the first in line, with the phone cable connected to it, then an ethernet cable from the ADSL2+ modem into the Ubiquiti Router, and so on down the line.

You would use this "splitter" in between the phone jack and the Modem, with one cable going to the modem, and the other split going to a telephone. Using that RJ11 to RJ45 adapter will not allow you to plug directly into the router.

No, this would not help you in the slightest. All this does is change the connector physically from RJ11 to RJ45. The pinout would still be a single pair only. If you plugged it into a Router, the router simply wouldn't know what to do with the signal.

You NEED an ADSL2+ modem. No way around it.

No this would not work either. Not to say you couldn't use it, but all this is is a "DSL Filter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

A DSL Filter just filters out the "Internet" signal for a phone line, so that when you pick up the telephone, you don't hear that "dial-up" noise.

As noted about, you still need an ADSL2+ modem. None of these will supplement that. The ADSL2+ modem needs to be the first in line, with the phone cable connected to it, then an ethernet cable from the ADSL2+ modem into the Ubiquiti Router, and so on down the line.

You would use this "splitter" in between the phone jack and the Modem, with one cable going to the modem, and the other split going to a telephone. Using that RJ11 to RJ45 adapter will not allow you to plug directly into the router.

Fml......

So I just checked the cable that connects to the modem and it had 4 pins-rj11

Checked the model number on the router

Cisco Linksys WAG320N

Checked online and it has a dsl port

Confused

So I just checked the cable that connects to the modem and it had 4 pins-rj11

Checked the model number on the router

Cisco Linksys WAG320N

Checked online and it has a dsl port

Confused

The Cisco Linksys WAG320N is a Modem/Router combo device. This is the current device you have?

You could definitely keep it and use it with your new setup. All you'd need to do is go into the config web page and enable "Bridge Mode" which basically disables all features except the modem. Then you can use your new high end Router and high end Access Point to do all the heavy lifting.

Unless you buy a business class Cisco or Draytek modem, the Linksys one you have will perform just as well as any consumer grade standalone modem.

The Cisco Linksys WAG320N is a Modem/Router combo device. This is the current device you have?

You could definitely keep it and use it with your new setup. All you'd need to do is go into the config web page and enable "Bridge Mode" which basically disables all features except the modem. Then you can use your new high end Router and high end Access Point to do all the heavy lifting.

Unless you buy a business class Cisco or Draytek modem, the Linksys one you have will perform just as well as any consumer grade standalone modem.

Except that's the one that has gone and cooked itself. Felt like it was hot enough to cook and egg on.....

Also I need to search for Dsl modems...

It appears that Dsl means rj11 and adsl means rj45

Even though we're paying for adsl2+ internet???

Except that's the one that has gone and cooked itself. Felt like it was hot enough to cook and egg on.....

Also I need to search for Dsl modems...

It appears that Dsl means rj11 and adsl means rj45

Even though we're paying for adsl2+ internet???

RJ45 is simply the connector that Ethernet protocol uses for Ethernet Cables.

RJ11 is the connector that a Phone Line uses.

Both DSL and ADSL use RJ11 as the "Internet" port. DSL is just a generic term that refers to all the sub-types. ADSL stands for "Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line". Asynchronous just meaning that the Upload and Download speeds are not the same. The 2+ just means it's the second revision of ADSL protocol, the + meaning additional minor revisions.

I've had great luck with HP ProCurve switches.  I specifically bought the HP Procurve 1810G-24 a few years ago which runs my house network.  Lifetime warranty on it and it's a layer 2 managed switch.  If you can find one used it might be a great bargain.  If you want new I think they've updated the models to the PS1810 series or HP 1920.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

RJ45 is simply the connector that Ethernet protocol uses for Ethernet Cables.

RJ11 is the connector that a Phone Line uses.

Both DSL and ADSL use RJ11 as the "Internet" port. DSL is just a generic term that refers to all the sub-types. ADSL stands for "Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line". Asynchronous just meaning that the Upload and Download speeds are not the same. The 2+ just means it's the second revision of ADSL protocol, the + meaning additional minor revisions.

I'm probably going to pick up either a D Link Dsl 2900al or an Asus dsl-ac68u

Run that as an all in one for a couple of months than bridge the D link or Asus into a edgepro8, switch and an r700

Thanks for all your help

Definitely more informed than I was

Just in case.... Is my plan sound?

Run that as an all in one for a couple of months than bridge the D link or Asus into a edgepro8, switch and an r700

Thanks for all your help

Yep, your plan is solid.

Thanks for all your help

Unless you really have a need for an EdgeRouter Pro, I would highly suggest you just go for an EdgeRouter Light. It should be more than capable to handle anything you can throw at it.

I have a 150/15 connection and while maxing my connection the router has no issue at all keeping up. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Unless you really have a need for an EdgeRouter Pro, I would highly suggest you just go for an EdgeRouter Light. It should be more than capable to handle anything you can throw at it.

I have a 150/15 connection and while maxing my connection the router has no issue at all keeping up.

Fair enough

Bought a Netgear N600 today... Didn't have the luxury of time...

Thanks for all that involved

Optimus

If you are using Ubiquiti you could use the unify access points and switches. then also use one of their routers

Desktop: 16gb Ram, i7-2600k, GTX 560 OC.    Laptop: i7, 8gb DDR3, 840m GPU

Server 1 (Files and AD): i3 3220, 4gb DDR3, 1TB Western Digital Blue, Overkill motherboard I got for free (better than main computer) changed to xeon, don't remember exactly what but xeon version of the processor  and 8gb ECC Ram   Server 2 (games): 8gb Ram, i5, Geforce 710m

Tis true, even the EdgeRouter Light is way heavier duty compared to a consumer grade router. The reason the OP chose it was double the amount of packets per second (2 million vs 1 million) it could handle.

Either would be sufficient I believe though, even in a super heavy home situation.

The modem is something I would expect to change from adsl to something better, hopefully in the near future for you. That depends on your ISP being bothered to upgrade though. Make sure to pester them when you can. They tend to provide a bottleneck in their own way.

The modem is something I would expect to change from adsl to something better, hopefully in the near future for you. That depends on your ISP being bothered to upgrade though. Make sure to pester them when you can. They tend to provide a bottleneck in their own way.

hahahahah, Telstra upgrading hahahahahaha

I'll try but NBN rollout is taking forever