Virtual surround sound with headphones

Go to solution Solved by h264,

I think you've misread, I have the Xonar DG (pci) card which cannot fit on my board. I'm planning on getting the DGX (pci-e) version for my current one but wanted to know more info before buying. Also I already have ffdshow, I'll see what settings and other filters are available thanks.

I gotcha.  So it'll be another $30 to keep the same card you've already got.

I'd actually recommend just getting a dgx if you really like the surround effects, need them for movies, and that's what you mainly use your headphones for.

I currently have a z87 sabertooth motherboard and would like to get some virtual surround sound with my sennheiser hd558 headphones. I've used the xonar dg in my previous build and really liked the sound output so anything equal to that or better would be great.

So the question is:

Is it possible to do with the hardware I have or do I need to get something like the xonar dgx?

While the realtek software for your soundchip should be able to offer some kind of virtual surround sound, a dedicated soundcard will always offer much better sound, especially when you got good headphones.

Maybe get a Xonar Phoebus or Xonar Essence if you liked your old Xonar.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

You shouldn't need special software to accomplish this in video games.  Movies can benefit from Dolby Headphone, but there are other software options there for stereo headphones.

There might be a few exceptions of course.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

While the realtek software for your soundchip should be able to offer some kind of virtual surround sound, a dedicated soundcard will always offer much better sound, especially when you got good headphones.

Maybe get a Xonar Phoebus or Xonar Essence if you liked your old Xonar.

Any reason to get those over the xonar dgx?

You shouldn't need special software to accomplish this in video games.  Movies can benefit from Dolby Headphone, but there are other software options there for stereo headphones.

There might be a few exceptions of course.

Which options? I'd like to try some before making a decision.

Edit: I don't do much gaming, mostly music and movies/shows

Don't know honestly. I'm out of the soundcard business for too long. Using a Denon 2807 Receiver now... (albeit a bit overkill)

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Your dgx already has dolby headphone.  Unless you need more power for your new pair of HD800s or DT77/88/990's, your good.

Which options? I'd like to try some before making a decision.

Edit: I don't do much gaming, mostly music and movies/shows

http://www.myears.net.au/homealt

this and mixing filters on lavfilters and ffdshow

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Your dgx already has dolby headphone.  Unless you need more power for your new pair of HD800s or DT77/88/990's, your good.

http://www.myears.net.au/homealt

this and mixing filters on lavfilters and ffdshow

I think you've misread, I have the Xonar DG (pci) card which cannot fit on my board. I'm planning on getting the DGX (pci-e) version for my current one but wanted to know more info before buying. Also I already have ffdshow, I'll see what settings and other filters are available thanks.

I'd actually recommend just getting a dgx if you really like the surround effects, need them for movies, and that's what you mainly use your headphones for.

Thanks, already ordered it. Should be coming in by Friday.