You want Windows 8 Desktop Back? Gigabyte helps out!

Yun4xGaming

It doesn't look that good. I mean, you still have to go to metro if you want your programs. Back to Start or Classic Shell seems much better, but it's still nice that other manufacturers tries to fix Windows 8.

It doesn't look that good. I mean, you still have to go to metro if you want your programs. Back to Start or Classic Shell seems much better, but it's still nice that other manufacturers tries to fix Windows 8.

you can choose your start menu. and if u want to start ur games you can do a copy to the desktop of it :)

Windows 8 start screen and Windows 7 start menu makes no difference to me.  In either case, I press [Windows key, r, i, Enter], and I launch RIFT. [Win key, s, t, a, Enter = launch Starcraft 2].  No matter if you are a 7 or 8 fan, I don't get how people like using their mouse to navigate scroll bars or screens, open folders, find your program, and click it to run.

The moral is: both Windows 7 and 8 start "whatever" fans are both inferior to true keyboard fans. :)

Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS showed me the light that knowing keyboard shortcuts for most commands in software is by far superior than navigating UI with the mouse.  Mouse is still great for games, however. :)

Windows 8 start screen and Windows 7 start menu makes no difference to me.  In either case, I press [Windows key, r, i, Enter], and I launch RIFT. [Win key, s, t, a, Enter = launch Starcraft 2].  No matter if you are a 7 or 8 fan, I don't get how people like using their mouse to navigate scroll bars or screens, open folders, find your program, and click it to run.

The moral is: both Windows 7 and 8 start "whatever" fans are both inferior to true keyboard fans. :)

Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS showed me the light that knowing keyboard shortcuts for most commands in software is by far superior than navigating UI with the mouse.  Mouse is still great for games, however. :)

keep dat APM high even when ur not playing starcraft

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Silly, ugly, and waste of company resources. How about focusing their resources in making motherboards that is faster to boot, instead.

Competitors can boot Win8 in 6sec... Gigabytes board are left in the dust.

Silly, ugly, and waste of resources. How about focusing their resources in making motherboards that is faster to boot.

Competitors can boot Win8 in 6sec.

You're right.  Once little apps like these eat away at my 32 GB of system memory, I'll soon have nothing left for other apps!

No, I meant resources as in: money, employees, etc. not system resources that it consumes on your system.

I made it more clear in my post.

with earlier operating systems i used to just leave the keyboard on  the desk and lean back and use the mouse alone... now with windows 8 i keep the keyboard close to me .. and i work maybe a little faster 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Windows 8' Start Screen is just not practical for desktop. Why would you want something covering your whole screen when it could cover less than 1/4 of the screen and have the same functionality? 

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Why cant they make a mini version of the metro ui as start menu

I saw this tool before. Very nice tool to use if you want your computer to start up showing to the desktop directly.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Windows 8' Start Screen is just not practical for desktop. Why would you want something covering your whole screen when it could cover less than 1/4 of the screen and have the same functionality? 

Because I can type Win key, r, i, enter in less than a second, I barely see the screen.  I understand it does not address your comment directly in that the start screen does cover up everything.  However, I am just pointing out that I see it only for a fraction of a second.

It doesn't really fit in to me, of I'd rather just stick with StartIsBack.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

Because it give you more information, and have access to more programs.

You can also organize all your apps.

Because it defeats the purpose of the Modern UI language, and you don't actually look at a word document while navigating the Start Menu, even if the location of items has not beed changed since Windows 95, and you are motor skills are trained to get to that location with the mouse that you used back in 1995 with Win95, with the same screen resolution.. you'll still look at it, de-focusing from your work.

I saw this tool before. Very nice tool to use if you want your computer to start up showing to the desktop directly.

They are lighter tools that exists for free. I found one it just a exe that put on your startup. as you double click on or Windows executes it as startup, it gets you the desktop.

However what do you do on your desktop? Oh yea, you go on the Start Screen. So there is no point in starting in the desktop. That what the telemetry data of Microsoft showed. The percentage of users that actually click on something else than on the start screen is minimal. However, they will add an option in Win8.1.

It boggles my mind how small developers can deliver a better product than a behemoth like Gigabyte.  Granted their forte isnt software but still.

I think the main aim is to have the power options easy to reach, hence smart 'switch'