[HEXGEAR] | IDORU |

B NEGATIVE

Z3J3Z2q.jpg

pFbfwsz.jpg

“The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.
The Economist, December 4, 2003”
― William Gibson

Welcome everybody to my latest log and one that I have had to keep quiet for a few weeks now so im glad I can finally get this rolling.
Its a very very great pleasure to introduce a new case maker to the world,run by 2 of my good friends and all round nice guys,Nate and Hans from their new case company,HEX GEAR.
Im working on their new case,the R40 mATX.
http://www.hex-gear.com/
The case is a steel and aluminum constructed unit with a emphasis on quality and sleek lines,they have aimed this at the watercooling community with solid rad support (240 + 360) and has nice options available for those wanting something a bit different from the plastic fantastics.

Obviously,as Im doing one,its going to be heavily but subtly modded,again sticking to the ethos that I dont want to lose the 'Character' of the case but enhance it.
The theme? As a longtime William Gibson fan,I took cues from his near future 'world' and adapted the 'look' for myself. Copper...polished,mirror black and forced copper patination. Patina'd copper tube work. Normal I blow out and tell you what Im going to do with it but not this time,you will have to wait and see but I promise you this..its going to be pretty awesome!
As im discussion with a few interested parties,hardware specs are....fluid...right now but its not all about the hardware,this is about me stretching myself into new techniques and doing something special for a pair of good friends.

“When you want to know how things really work, study them when they're coming apart.”
― William Gibson, Zero History

I think some pictures are in order.....
DwM7B2m.jpg
jmpWW4M.jpg
FsOj0fk.jpg
XCoKwR6.jpg
4aMnwcY.jpg
dfn5Ng1.jpg
H5nByvc.jpg
The cable routing for the hidden PSU cabling
AUPc84q.jpg
ORElYQ3.jpg
MNDYDm1.jpg
I5rr9t7.jpg
Thats all you get for now,I still have my awesome DFM LAN box to finish before I give this my full attention.
This is going to be a slow burner but the ride will be worth it.
“Secrets...are the very root of cool.”
― William Gibson, Spook Country

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

nice

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

sweet this is the second build with this case i'm following, will be interesting to see where you take the design :D

Damn, that does look rather sweet, please continue... :D

I'm really liking the construction of the case with those extruded alu profiles and

the flat metal surfaces, very neat IMO.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Are there no dust filters?

Lol, there'd be like an inch of dust in it if one of these were in my household

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

• 1 month later...

RRO9gLR.jpg

nwpSvYU.jpg?1dk2W3Oj.jpg?1

After the wait for LUMO to be finished,I am now devoting time to this build.
And what a great way to start by introducing Crucial memory to the build with their excellent storage and memory solutions.

After speaking the the helpful guys at Crucial UK,they sent me 3 of the yet unreleased M200 series SSD's and the Ballistix Elite memory kit I like so much
You can see the drive specs here: http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/storage-info

kVehTxv.jpg

GHvZx8W.jpg

rxKK93e.jpg

aeCu5Np.jpg

GiiECrr.jpg

Gt7Viwi.jpg

Ram.

For now its the lovely Ballistix DDR3 kit that I love so much,however..this may become DDR4 after all......

o44mNkz.jpg

Q8KAvkG.jpg

ruLW9v0.jpg

Currently working on the copper cover boxes for them and the panels that are being re-cut are being lasered right now,new copper SSD mounts and pump mounts also!

Also does anyone know of a copper plater that will do alu extrusions?

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I like copper. Having done a fair bit of work with it before this build sounds very interesting to me.

Blarg

Good stuff Dan. I must say you have me intrigued with the whole Shogun/Samurai vibe.

Been reading about Hex Gear over the past couple of weeks. Nice to see Hans go into business :)

Looking forward to this muchly.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

• 2 weeks later...

Brown boxes...the best kind!

Even better is whats inside...thanks ASUS UK!

1twSvLD.jpg

Oh my god I'm in love with this case. Why is every amazing looking case always a Micro Atx :( Give me this in regular ATX!

Cd5hVqf.jpg

Y8vzv8u.jpg?1aXkhrOR.jpg?1NQZ2ILZ.jpg?1

"That's something that tends to happen with new technologies generally: The most interesting applications turn up on a battlefield, or in a gallery.”
― William Gibson, Spook Country

Now things are moving along with the hardware,ASUS UK sent me 2 980 STRIX cards to go with the z97 GENE that is on its way.

The coolers on these cards are something else,all metal with reinforcers around the card,shame its being blocked up but...well.....you know......blocks are <3....

yMTZeDw.jpg

kBM6Zdz.jpg

NnuRDvA.jpg

uny4bIB.jpg

mwz57gZ.jpg

Im not sold in the back plate...a nice solid copper replacement is required...

mZ6nkFG.jpg

3gEWjcK.jpg

60Diav9.jpg

PpjUJLx.jpg

l1HrPis.jpg

That reinforcer loops around to the IO plate so the card is rock solid,I will have to try and incorporate that into the WC kit...I like the idea of more stiffness to the PCB.

A pair of very solid feeling cards,thanks ASUS UK for stepping forward,they are an amazing addition to the build.

Also,the 36% HCL and peroxide are here for the acid etching of the copper panels,when the panels arrive then I will be diving into that with excitement!
Im not really keen for chem burns tho...a few practice runs on scrap need to be done too.

“Somewhere, deep within her, surfaces a tiny clockwork submarine. There are times when you can only take the next step. And then another.”
― William Gibson, Pattern Recognition

oh man, love copper themed builds.

Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait,Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait.

the case looks like it is a render and yet it looks so realistic

I'm pretty sure the reason for that is that this guy set up a professional level photography area with VERY even lighting. He also has a really smooth drop cloth behind it providing a neutral background.

I don't think it's a render though because it has such a detailed surface. It's not like the computer rendered version of a matte finish.

Quick question: Do you think this case would fit a double radiator? Either on the bottom or the top?

It has dual rad bays in the top and bottom. 1 is up to 360mm the other 240mm. 240 side is sharing space with the PSU.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

oh man, love copper themed builds.

Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait,Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait.

New panels have been cut,im just waiting for them to arrive..

Following because dat sexy case.

Thanks.

This case has so much potential for modders...as you will see.

the case looks like it is a render and yet it looks so realistic

Softboxes are your friend!

I'm pretty sure the reason for that is that this guy set up a professional level photography area with VERY even lighting. He also has a really smooth drop cloth behind it providing a neutral background.

I don't think it's a render though because it has such a detailed surface. It's not like the computer rendered version of a matte finish.

All I use is a roll of vinyl and a pair of softboxes,less then £100 to buy off ebay

They are not renders,its not the first time I have heard that too! :D

Quick question: Do you think this case would fit a double radiator? Either on the bottom or the top?

See below.

It has dual rad bays in the top and bottom. 1 is up to 360mm the other 240mm. 240 side is sharing space with the PSU.

This!

Softboxes are your friend!

All I use is a roll of vinyl and a pair of softboxes,less then £100 to buy off ebay

Softboxes and a flat background are what I would call a professional setup. I'm not super professional so I have low standards. They do the job though.

Well you just sold me on this case when it comes out. I love you for introducing me to it but my wallet hates you. It's a fair trade.

Cd5hVqf.jpg

Y8vzv8u.jpg?1aXkhrOR.jpg?1NQZ2ILZ.jpg?1

“Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.”
― William Gibson

The board has arrived,a nice purty Z97 GENE,to go with the stonking GPU's.

OlsBPhN.jpg

It comes with all the usual bits and bobs and a quite lovely black chromed I/O panel.

NbQ3bQi.jpg

Not often im even remotely interested in stock coolers but these STRIX ones are nice to look at for a change.

KNcQJPC.jpg

The matt finished board with teh awesome rams.

4aLzxHI.jpg

I like the roughcast look to the stock heatsinks but they do pick up fingerprint grease easily.
You can see the two colour finish ASUS make a point of mentioning...not really my thing....unless they expanded it to a whole board look rather than the VRM only.

5PycG34.jpg

GKuW74d.jpg

dLKpE0w.jpg

Got room for a 40mm rad top and bottom,I will be using XSPC AX rads for this...I have always wanted to use them as they look so good and are ideal for painting.

9fMI5Wl.jpg

Next on the list is waiting for Bitspower to finish their New Year and getting the loop planned out,drilling holes THEN painting for a change!

“Things aren't different. Things are things.”
― William Gibson, Neuromancer

Oh my god I can't wait for this case to be available. I bought a whole new motherboard yesterday just to be ready for it. Keep the updates coming!

@B NEGATIVE Just pointing out, you forgot to install the included sound card.  :(

I have several pair of Corsair USB headphones so i wont be using it