reason for building a PC

Go to solution Solved by ZmanFTW,

The BEST reason for building a PC:

An estimated 50 million tons of E-waste (electronic waste) are produced each year. The USA discards 30 million computers each year and 100 million phones are disposed of in Europe each year. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 15-20% of e-waste is recycled, the rest of these electronics go directly into landfills and incinerators (Wikipedia). Professor Huo Xia tested 165 children for concentrations of lead in their blood. 82% of the Guiyu children had blood/lead levels of more than 100. Anything above that figure is considered unsafe by international health experts. The average reading for the group was 149 (Wikipedia).

Average life expectancy of computer devices (mostly due to heat)

PC can last as long as you want it to because you can do a much better job cooling AND because ALL parts can be replaced.

Notebook 3 to 5 years - Quite a few parts can be replaced but many users don't realize when the little fan(s) stops spinning how important it is.

Tablet 2 to 3 years

Smartphone less than 2 years (21 months average)

E-waste wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Amount_of_Electronic_waste_world-wide

Guiyu, China:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Electronic_Waste_Dump_of_the_World:_Guiyu.2C_China

I suppose there will always be those who don't care about any of this.

just wanted to know (especially for younger people who have their parents pay for things) what reasons do you give if you were asked why you'd make a $1000 PC for example. I don't know for other people, but as soon as I mention games, my parents would think it's already totally unreasonable. Like they'll say "why not just buy a cheap laptop to do your schoolwork etc."

you would build a pc because the price to performance ratio is worlds better, also with a desktop you can upgrade it when it gets outdated or when something breaks.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I build my pc so i could start making videos for people on youtube

EDIT and it peoples parents wont pay for your pcs, you could you now umm get a gob mowing grass or something

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Cheaper, experience with computers, being responsible, etc.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

• Gaming (obviously)

Efficiency

For screens, real estate/resolution helps - with bigger screens it can be easier to do work and with more pixels you can see more or at least see stuff in higher quality.

'Futureproofing' - it's not going to be worth replacing a $400 computer every few years when you could build a $1000 one that lasts that long anyway

Sig under construction.

why not buy me a cheaper pc than buying a cheap laptop...then I'll think about an excuse to add a graphic card...then upgrade the cpu and motherboard...and finally comes the upgraded ram...and ohh because i have almost filled my hard disk I'll get an excuse to get an ssd too....do you get where I am going?

How much time do yo spend on a bed sleeping? A lot.

Now why would you buy something that is rock hard and is like sleeping on a bed of nails? You wouldn't. You buy a really good mattress with like a plush blanket.

Same thing with computers. You spend a lot of time on it. So why make it the worst experience possible?

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

My parents wont pay for things...

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Because you can't game on a cheap laptop. Which is the bigger waste of money, to spend £1000 on something you're going to use and enjoy, or spend £300 on something that's useless to you?

I build my pc so i could start making videos for people on youtube

EDIT and it peoples parents wont pay for your pcs, you could you now umm get a gob mowing grass or something

so you make videos for people? like they commission you? or you have your own channel and stuff?

yeah that's definitely the more sensible approach, to pay for your own.

but there are still those parents who criticize the stuff you spend you money on haha.

why not buy me a cheaper pc than buying a cheap laptop...then I'll think about an excuse to add a graphic card...then upgrade the cpu and motherboard...and finally comes the upgraded ram...and ohh because i have almost filled my hard disk I'll get an excuse to get an ssd too....do you get where I am going?

you mean like slowly building up the PC?

How much time do yo spend on a bed sleeping? A lot.

Now why would you buy something that is rock hard and is like sleeping on a bed of nails? You wouldn't. You buy a really good mattress with like a plush blanket.

Same thing with computers. You spend a lot of time on it. So why make it the worst experience possible?

I like your analogy!

problem though is that sometimes people might not go for the bed of nails, but instead they'll settle for the cheapest livable option, like a frikin futon haha!

Because you can't game on a cheap laptop. Which is the bigger waste of money, to spend £1000 on something you're going to use and enjoy, or spend £300 on something that's useless to you?

well that would be nice if parents support gaming.

all mine want me to do is study study study, especially since I'm going into law school

Focus on Law School.. I dont think you will have time to game anyways... You do not need distractions when your paying that much for school.

well that would be nice if parents support gaming.

all mine want me to do is study study study, especially since I'm going into law school

You have bigger problems then tbh. That's really unhealthy from a mental health point of view.

so you make videos for people? like they commission you? or you have your own channel and stuff?

yeah that's definitely the more sensible approach, to pay for your own.

but there are still those parents who criticize the stuff you spend you money on haha.

I have my own chanle and i am a editor for hire in a way lol

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Here is another trick. So like tell your parents you want to show them something.

Open up a random game and max it out so you get like only 8-10 fps. Let them try. 

I showed my dad how War Thunder looked in 8fps and his eyes just like rose up.

He ended up banging the keyboard and was like you need a new computer.

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Here is another trick. So like tell your parents you want to show them something.

Open up a random game and max it out so you get like only 8-10 fps. Let them try. 

I showed my dad how War Thunder looked in 8fps and his eyes just like rose up.

He ended up banging the keyboard and was like you need a new computer.

man you have an awesome dad

Focus on Law School.. I dont think you will have time to game anyways... You do not need distractions when your paying that much for school.

You have bigger problems then tbh. That's really unhealthy from a mental health point of view.

damn it reasonable people! haha but it's good to see unbiased people here, telling me the things I don't really want to hear

I just thought that "hey, I frikin finished college and graduated so at least I should get something before I go on and study again"

Just be honest..

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

All the mentions before and I got another one. Gaming is a good way to let of steam (hehe) and stress. Some people going to drink a lot. Some like me drinks sometimes and use gaming as a different approach to release stress. Gaming get me throught high school :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler