GTZ 780 Ti vs GTX 980?

So here's a question I have, I am currently window shopping for tax season and I am deciding whether I should go with the current gen GTX 980 or the previous generation's flagship GTX 780 Ti. On paper, the 780 Ti has superior specs (minus the power consumption) but I am more concerned about real world applications. It would be nice if Linus and his crew did a showdown between these two monsters of a GPU but just in case they don't I'm asking everyone here what they think.

Also, I currently am running these components:

1. ASRock 990FX extreme3

2. AMD FX-6300 6 core 2.5Ghz CPU (OC'd to 3.7Ghz)

3. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz Ram

4. OCZ Vector 150 SSD

5. OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU

If anything is going to bottleneck my GPU let me know as well because I'll upgrade that as well.

GTX 980. Pretty sure that the GTX 780ti has GTX 970 performance, well close to it.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

So here's a question I have, I am currently window shopping for tax season and I am deciding whether I should go with the current gen GTX 980 or the previous generation's flagship GTX 780 Ti. On paper, the 780 Ti has superior specs (minus the power consumption) but I am more concerned about real world applications. It would be nice if Linus and his crew did a showdown between these two monsters of a GPU but just in case they don't I'm asking everyone here what they think.

Also, I currently am running these components:

1. ASRock 990FX extreme3

2. AMD FX-6300 6 core 2.5Ghz CPU (OC'd to 3.7Ghz)

3. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz Ram

4. OCZ Vector 150 SSD

5. OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU

If anything is going to bottleneck my GPU let me know as well because I'll upgrade that as well.

I personally would go for the 980 since as new drivers become available it will pull ahead of the 780ti more and more

I would buy a 980 over 780 ti unless there's a massive difference in price, but many will suggest you go a step down and buy a GTX 970. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Ok, so 980 it is then. I was considering a 970 but I've never had a flagship gpu before and this time around I can actually afford it and I really wanna go top of the line (excluding the Titan). Now for the more pressing matter, where is my next bottleneck going to be? currently it is my gpu (GTX 650Ti 2Gb). I want to systematically remove my bottlenecks till I have a system that can run everything at it's maximum out-of-the-box potential.

Ok, so 980 it is then. I was considering a 970 but I've never had a flagship gpu before and this time around I can actually afford it and I really wanna go top of the line (excluding the Titan). Now for the more pressing matter, where is my next bottleneck going to be? currently it is my gpu (GTX 650Ti 2Gb). I want to systematically remove my bottlenecks till I have a system that can run everything at it's maximum out-of-the-box potential.

Top tier are great for epeen, but after a year or whenever they release better cards you will ask yourself - "Why did I spend so much, now for $100 less there are cards that outperform my beast" - and you lost all epeen gained. 

Next bottleneck would be the cpu. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Top tier are great for epeen, but after a year or whenever they release better cards you will ask yourself - "Why did I spend so much, now for $100 less there are cards that outperform my beast" - and you lost all epeen gained. 

Next bottleneck would be the cpu. 

But they stay relevant for longer. Someone who bought a 770 is gonna have to upgrade sooner compared to someone who got a 780ti for example. 

970 and 980 is a bit closer though.

But they stay relevant for longer. Someone who bought a 770 is gonna have to upgrade sooner compared to someone who got a 780ti for example. 

970 and 980 is a bit closer though.

Yes, They do but money wise its not always the best bang for buck. My 780 ti which is almost a year old now (1 more month) is now very similar in performance to a $400 card. - I paid $700 for it. 

Spoiler

Snag the 980.  The 780ti is equivalent to the 970 at this point with drivers and all, so the 980 will continue to pull ahead, or you can wait as in the next few months we may have AMD 390x and nVidia releasing the GM200 chips.  Be it a 990 or 1080.  It'll be soon.(Hopefully).  But if you can't wait to build and get to some gamin', the 980 is definitely the better option ^^

Always go with the newer card.

Now is the point where I have to be inclined to tell you to get SLI 970s instead of the 980, since I have the 970s. :D

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Yes, They do but money wise its not always the best bang for buck. My 780 ti which is almost a year old now (1 more month) is now very similar in performance to a $400 card. - I paid $700 for it. 

I know i have the 780ti:). It sucks but that happens with everything in tech. But for that year its pretty damn awesome:)

I paid over £100 for my 120gb SSD a while ago they are now half that price

GTX 980. Pretty sure that the GTX 780ti has GTX 970 performance, well close to it.

The performance of a 780ti is closer to the performance of the 980 than 970. It also has autobalancing power rails for smoother overclocking. This feature only comes with nvidia's flagship models.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Yeah, it is still a couple months out before I am gonna buy the card, Late February, early March. If a new flagship card comes out before then, you can bet that I'm going to get that one, but for now, the 980 is all that there is and with no (as far as I can tell) release date for a new flagship replacement, I'm going to stick with the 980. Plus they say that the 980 is DirectX 12 compatible, much like the 8800 GTX was just before DX 10 came out. I'm curious why Nvidia skipped from the 700 series straight to the 900 series with no 800 series in between. After a lot of research The 780Ti is very close to the 980 in performance for virtually the same price, but as it was stated earlier, the 980 will be getting regular driver optimization for longer than the 780Ti has left (not to mention the full DX12 compatibility). So all I can do now is wait (and pray the price of the 980 drops or a new flagship comes out). Then it will be a life of luxury gaming on a 50" 4K screen with full 7.1 surround sound to piss off my neighbors lol.

Hint: get a 970 and save up the extra cash for a new processor. Say, the new Broadwell/Skylake hype. Or, save up the extra cash and get 970 SLI the next month or two, for slightly higher price with much higher performance.

780TI is just too power hungry. And won't get you a free game, if done quick. Alternatively, hold up until AMD opens it's doors and let us access they're REAL cards.

I know a guy that does extensive testing in games only. The site is not in english, but the graphics should be easy to read. It compares the 4770k, 4670k, fx 8350 and fx 6350, both sli 970 and single 980. Try it out if you want.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I would suggest going with the newest stuff. Mainly for the 4gigs of vram. The performance isn't really justified if you currently had the 780ti. As the price sits right now, if you have the cash for a 980 then go for it. If you are in the price range for 970/780ti, its gonna come down to the games and settings youre looking for. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I went from the EVGA 780Ti Classy to the MSI GTX 980 Gaming http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD38516 and haven't regretted it. I've also had the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming and it's not quite as fast as the 780Ti but not too far behind it.

Go with the 980!

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

Yeah from looking at that chart, the SLI 970s IS better, but I can save some money and still get the performance I want from the 980 since I have to upgrade my cpu anyway because from looking at that chart my cpu is going to be a serious bottleneck. If I upgrade the cpu to the FX-8350 and go with the single 980 I'll save a bit of money and I'll get another 980 in the future for sli instead of going for second best. For the record, I am an Nvidia fanboy and refuse to grab an ati card unless their performance/power consumption starts getting as good as the Nvidia cards. The only reason I am using an AMD cpu is because of the price point. Other than that, I prefer the Intel/Nvidia setups (just can't afford both)

The only reason I am using an AMD cpu is because of the price point. Other than that, I prefer the Intel/Nvidia setups (just can't afford both)

Cue powerbill at the end of each month.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yes I am overclocking the FX-6300. I have it running stable at 3.9Ghz across all cores, turbo is 4.5Ghz

Go 970's. I went with the 780's when they were king and then soon after lost that top-tier feeling and wondered why I paid the price. I have 970's atm and love them.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.