Super Compact Gaming Pc (custom case)

Carrotcakee

2 definiteley ;)

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Yeah the handle was 2mm thick and a height of 10mm. Didnt even think of the part that it could bend  :huh:. Its good to have feedback like this! I dont want to build an iphone 6+ here  :D

Any suggestions on the handle for design and functionality?

To decrease the deflection (bending) you can decrease the span of the handle (add some reinforcement in the middle, or make it shorter) decrease the force acting on it (not really possible in this case as your case will remain the same weight). Increase the youngs modules (stronger material, like steel) or increase the moment of inertia (making the handle thicker or wider). 

Personally I would add some reinforcement in the middle or decrease the total span of the handle. You could also grab a bit thicker (4mm or so) aluminium. As for the height of the total handle I would aim for something like 30mm-40mm). Anyway so far for the engineering lessons.

3 quick ideas: GHvyVPP.png

If you want to I can calculate the deflection of the handle if you design a new one :) 

Feedback needed on what way to route the tubing? 1 or 2?

I would go for the 2nd one, without a doubt. Looks very clean

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

To decrease the deflection (bending) you can decrease the span of the handle (add some reinforcement in the middle, or make it shorter) decrease the force acting on it (not really possible in this case as your case will remain the same weight). Increase the youngs modules (stronger material, like steel) or increase the moment of inertia (making the handle thicker or wider). 

Personally I would add some reinforcement in the middle or decrease the total span of the handle. You could also grab a bit thicker (4mm or so) aluminium. As for the height of the total handle I would aim for something like 30mm-40mm). Anyway so far for the engineering lessons.

3 quick ideas: GHvyVPP.png

If you want to I can calculate the deflection of the handle if you design a new one :)

I would go for the 2nd one, without a doubt. Looks very clean

Its fun to see others getting involved in this project  :)

As for the handle i dont know how to make it sturdy enough and at the same time not destroy the beauty of the case? I could send the sketchup file to you, so you could design something and post it here as a suggestion or simply send the modified file back?

Its fun to see others getting involved in this project  :)

As for the handle i dont know how to make it sturdy enough and at the same time not destroy the beauty of the case? I could send the sketchup file to you, so you could design something and post it here as a suggestion or simply send the modified file back?

I see what you mean, I don't have sketchup myself, but I don't mind downloading it and messing around in it for a bit, so sure! Are you sure you want handles in the first place? You could modify the legs a bit so you can hold the pc on those.

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

Something like this maybe?

I also made some fangrills

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

• 3 years later...

If anyone is still following this thread then I apologize for not finishing this project. I explain everything and why in my new project that I have made here: