High-Quality Build for League of Legends

litterboxgolfer

Sup guys! I need help, as I am not too oriented with this game. My friend who plays it wants to build a computer that is mainly for this game and others like it. Not really any triple-A games. But this isn't a money-savers project either. So the goal is to get him a good quality computer with no shortcuts, that will play that game maxed out with high frame rates, but doesn't spend a great amount of necessary money. He is really big on the high frame rate maxed out settings mindset, (along with mods if those even exist idk) so I really want a PC that will give him a great experience, both software and hardware wise.

What kind of processor does it favor? Does it require a high-end GPU or is it an APU deal (for this experience)? Is it more processor-intensive or GPU-intensive? I am hoping to get these answers through provided PCPartPicker links or just messages in the thread. I really need your guys help!

He doesn't use much storage, so I'm thinking a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, that's it. Maybe M.2?

We haven't really dicussed the case much either. He says he wants something big, but those were the only words on the matter. Ill go over to his house and help him plan, where it will be, the pros and cons of both, etc...

CPU: i7-4790k @4.8gHz  MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX RAM: 8GB g.skill 2400mHz CL9 STORAGE: 240GB Intel 730 and 1TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX760 COOLER: Corsair H110 CASE: Corsair 750D

I couldn't see LoL requiring super bad*** hardware. I'm sure you could go middle of the road and max out that game.

LoL isn't really intensive

No, it's not. But it's the goddamn AC Unity of mobas. CPU utilization at like 20%, GPU barely staying awake, and the game is struggling to have a stable framerate and sometimes dips into 50 fps.

the game isn't hard to run, but it runs terribly.

text

Is he only going to play league, or other games as well?

Really?  I've never had that experience except on my laptop from thermal throttling.

Have you played recently? I tried to get back into it last week, and uninstalled after the glaring performance issues and the fact that my mouse would not stay inside of the game and would end up on other desktops, forcing me to play locked.

I don't understand how a game can get more broken when you come back to it after a year.

I get over 150-200 fps at 4k with a R9 270, runs perfectly fine for me....

1440p with a 4790k and a 770, for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was happening. I dropped down to medium quality and that didn't really help if at all.

No, it's not. But it's the goddamn AC Unity of mobas. CPU utilization at like 20%, GPU barely staying awake, and the game is struggling to have a stable framerate and sometimes dips into 50 fps.

Really?  I've never had that experience except on my laptop from thermal throttling.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Something like this should give him the fps he wants. It is a decent looking system in a reasonably large case. If he wants an even bigger case the Phanteks Enthoo Pro would be a decent choice.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($96.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Total: $788.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 15:18 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Budget?

He said he doesn't care what the budget is, $2000 really. But that is pointless.

Is he only going to play league, or other games as well?

LOL is the most intensive game, along with some other sidescrollers. LOL is top priority.

Is this true?

Anyone else want to comment on the build @brob posted? It looks solid.

Does it prefer Intel or amd, or nvidia? Or is it really out of the question?

CPU: i7-4790k @4.8gHz  MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX RAM: 8GB g.skill 2400mHz CL9 STORAGE: 240GB Intel 730 and 1TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX760 COOLER: Corsair H110 CASE: Corsair 750D

He said he doesn't care what the budget is, $2000 really. But that is pointless.

LOL is the most intensive game, along with some other sidescrollers. LOL is top priority.

Is this true?

Anyone else want to comment on the build @brob posted? It looks solid.

Does it prefer Intel or amd, or nvidia? Or is it really out of the question?

For 2k? Incredibly pointless. At the least get him a good quality case. Nothing with a window, because.. there's nothing to show off. Something clean, probably aluminum like a Lian Li or Silverstone case. A solid power supply, SSD, maybe some drives if he needs them.

2k budget to play lol, shit you can do literally whatever you want. This is a difficult build to do based on those specifications.

An average tier GPU would be fine. If he's asking for you to build the PC, I assume he's not really that tech savvy (or lazy?)

Go for an Nvidia card since they're usually much easier to keep updated, and much harder to fuck up.

Nothing with a window, because.. there's nothing to show off.

An average tier GPU would be fine. If he's asking for you to build the PC, I assume he's not really that tech savvy (or lazy?)

Go for an Nvidia card since they're usually much easier to keep updated, and much harder to fuck up.

Never thought like that xD

Not really tech savvy, he is a cool guy though. How is it difficult?

Nvidia it is.

Overclocking worth it? 

Never thought like that xD

Not really tech savvy, he is a cool guy though. How is it difficult?

Nvidia it is.

Overclocking worth it?

No point in overclocking. It's difficult because LoL can run perfectly fine on very lowly hardware, but it's a bit more difficult to get mediocre but quality hardware. The fact that there are very few limitations opens up an excruciating amount of options, which makes this kinda tough.

Cool or not, if you're not good with computers, dealing with drivers and clocks is a hindrance. Leave him at stock clocks.

Would he ever consider streaming though? That's a bit important.

And will you be buying an OS and peripherals? Lmk and I can put something together.

Sup guys! I need help, as I am not too oriented with this game. My friend who plays it wants to build a computer that is mainly for this game and others like it. Not really any triple-A games. But this isn't a money-savers project either. So the goal is to get him a good quality computer with no shortcuts, that will play that game maxed out with high frame rates, but doesn't spend a great amount of necessary money. He is really big on the high frame rate maxed out settings mindset, (along with mods if those even exist idk) so I really want a PC that will give him a great experience, both software and hardware wise.

What kind of processor does it favor? Does it require a high-end GPU or is it an APU deal (for this experience)? Is it more processor-intensive or GPU-intensive? I am hoping to get these answers through provided PCPartPicker links or just messages in the thread. I really need your guys help!

He doesn't use much storage, so I'm thinking a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, that's it. Maybe M.2?

We haven't really dicussed the case much either. He says he wants something big, but those were the only words on the matter. Ill go over to his house and help him plan, where it will be, the pros and cons of both, etc...

High quality:

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($81.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($105.59 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $821.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 18:01 EST-0500