Bookshelf Speakers for my Computer

Faceman

I would like to preface this by saying I know very little about audio and bookshelf speakers, etc..

Basically, I am really unhappy with my Logitech Z313 2.1 Speaker System, and I would like to step my game up.  I came across this deal on Fry's.com for some JBL Loft 30 4" Bookshelf Speakers for only $40 after promo code.  I am wondering what I would need to get this hooked up to my computer?  I think I would need an amplifier of some sort, what is a good quality one that is enough for these bookshelf speakers, and then maybe another amplifier that is one step above, that has room for future expansion.  I would really like it if this amplifier also had a headphone jack so that I can plug my Superlux HD668Bs into them and listen through there when I desire.  Please let me know if I've left anything out, and if you have any recommendations I am all ears.  My build, if it is necessary to know what I have is listed in my profile. 

Thank you for educating me on this area that I am very unfamiliar with!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

Those are nice, I really like the look of them with the cloth removed.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Raw woofers, nice huh :) If you don't have kids/children you can remove them, otherwise: not a good plan ;p.

Quite sharp, yes.

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to preface this by saying I know very little about audio and bookshelf speakers, etc..

Basically, I am really unhappy with my Logitech Z313 2.1 Speaker System, and I would like to step my game up.  I came across this deal on Fry's.com for some JBL Loft 30 4" Bookshelf Speakers for only $40 after promo code.  I am wondering what I would need to get this hooked up to my computer?  I think I would need an amplifier of some sort, what is a good quality one that is enough for these bookshelf speakers, and then maybe another amplifier that is one step above, that has room for future expansion.  I would really like it if this amplifier also had a headphone jack so that I can plug my Superlux HD668Bs into them and listen through there when I desire.  Please let me know if I've left anything out, and if you have any recommendations I am all ears.  My build, if it is necessary to know what I have is listed in my profile. 

Thank you for educating me on this area that I am very unfamiliar with!

If you're going with non-amplified bookshelf speakers, grab yourself a Lepai amp to power them, they are very good amplifiers for the money, Sadly they don't come with a headphone jack, but if you can live with plugging your headphones into the front of the PC then you'll save yourself a lot compared to an amp with similar sound quality that does have a headphone jack.

How to connect them, the speakers connect to the amp using obvious methods, the amp would connect to the PC using one of these cables. 

0001016_audio_cable_35mm_to_rca_6ft.jpeg

I'd recommend a subwoofer however, either the Dayton suggested before in the other thread or my Polk are both great choices so just get whichever's cheaper. If you want to hook up both the Lepai and powered subwoofer, you will need:

One of these (3.5mm male to RCA female):

423623373_261.jpg

Two of these (RCA splitters, turns one RCA output into two): 

2-in-1-font-b-RCA-b-font-Male-to-2-font-

And two of these (usual RCA cables):

Cables_RCA.gif

Connect the 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter to your PC's speaker output. Connect an RCA splitter to each of the two RCA outputs you get, so now you have two right (red) and two left (white) RCA outputs. Then follow this thingy I made in mspaint

2g7P83i.jpg

"Rawr XD"

@annialation thank you for putting the work in for this, much appreciated!

@annialation thank you for putting the work in for this, much appreciated!

aye spell it right haha

"Rawr XD"

@Aniallation

too much work

the 3.5mm and rca are parallel, no need for the adapters

just plug the pc into the 3.5 and plug the sub straight into the rca  ;)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

the 3.5mm and rca are parallel, no need for the adapters

just plug the pc into the 3.5 and plug the sub straight into the rca  ;)

There was a member on here who tried that before and it didn't work.... so idk

"Rawr XD"

aye spell it right haha

MY bad, was typing on my Kindle.