Why should i even buy a 970

Totally-A-Hero

Here the most expensive 290 is vapor x $300 bucks, the cheapest 970 (reference) is $330. Not bad, id still take the 290 for my blue black theme build + backplate, but for someone else the $239 Windforce is unbeatable. It really is unless they specifically want the 970 or less heat or power for some reason. I just dont want the card to be forgotten. Its christmas time, parents are more comfortable buying a $239 Windforce than a $330 970, dont let the kids make  the mistake of only asking for a 970 and not getting it because it costs to much.

Okay, let's say somebody is indeed on a budget then I agree, get the 290. It's actually quite frustrating to see people go 'save up and get a 970' when someone has clearly stated that the only have $250 to spend for example.

However, more often I see threads like 'what's the best GPU I can buy for $350?' and then the arguments starts between the ones that think the OP should save and get the 290/290X and the ones that think the OP should pay a few bucks more and get the 970. This then turns into another 290(X) vs 970 battle leaving the OP non the wiser. 

The real questions in these case are: does it matter? and should you care?

At the end of the day the OP knows what he has in his pockets or what he can persuade his parents to get him and he will mostly have to settle for that. There have been a few interesting threads on here about whether people even take any of the advice people spend hours arguing over on this forum. The hard truth seems to be hardly ever. Anyone with some common sense or with plans to live within their means eventually gets what fits their budget and situation regardless of the huge GPU war that was waged in his thread on the topic.

A 13 year old could make a great post about how he's getting a 970 or 290X for Christmas, yay right? Do you think he'll make another one to announce that he got a 280X to instead (to his disappointment). 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Okay, let's say somebody is indeed on a budget then I agree, get the 290. It's actually quite frustrating to see people go 'save up and get a 970' when someone has clearly stated that the only have $250 to spend for example.

However, more often I see threads like 'what's the best GPU I can buy for $350?' and then the arguments starts between the ones that think the OP should save and get the 290/290X and the ones that think the OP should pay a few bucks more and get the 970. This then turns into another 290(X) vs 970 battle leaving the OP non the wiser. 

The real questions in these case are: does it matter? and should you care?

At the end of the day the OP knows what he has in his pockets or what he can persuade his parents to get him and he will mostly have to settle for that. There have been a few interesting threads on here about whether people even take any of the advice people spend hours arguing over on this forum. The hard truth seems to be hardly ever. Anyone with some common sense or with plans to live within their means eventually gets what fits their budget and situation regardless of the huge GPU war that was waged in his thread on the topic.

Yes that is what im saying! If someone has $350 then recommend the 970! But if on budget saying "970 is best save moar" is stupid and that is what is frustrating me, i see it happening alot. I want to change that and help the community more.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Yes that is what im saying! If someone has $350 then recommend the 970! But if on budget saying "970 is best save moar" is stupid and that is what is frustrating me, i see it happening alot. I want to change that and help the community more.

I know especially when someone is not playing intensive games and has a budget around $160

I am going to tell you why I bought a GTX 970.

- I am anal about FPS dipping below 60

- I soon hope to get a 120+ Hz monitor

- I want to use Nvidia GameStream

- The Nvidia Cards are much colder, and I live in California, where it is 90-110 degrees in the summer

- I have always used Nvidia cards as far back as the 8XXX series, so I feel more comfortable choosing Nvidia cards

- I want to overclock as much as I can, and the 970 according to reviews OC's really far, and beats 980 at stock speeds

I am very well aware of the price difference but to me, I want the best performance, and if that performance comes with the better features (imo) then I am definitely going to get the more expensive card.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Genius logic, R9 270x is newer than 680 therefore 270x is better. lol

I don't personally think that, but there are some people that do.

That's why I put "maybe" in the beginning. 

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

I understand this, but this is a helpful forum! Why are we not mentioning this GPU to budget buyers! That is cheaper than some 760's! 

You can go with AMD, 60% of the time the card will give you trouble from the start. They tried to rush the shit out the door for the miners, now most of the cards are shit now.

Yeah there are multiple things wrong with the LTT community but there's also lot that goes right and makes it the great community it is. I've learned to just accept it.

Exhibit A: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/271828-which-should-i-go-for-christmas-deal-sapphire-r9-290x-4gb-tri-x-or-msi-gtx970-gaming-4gb/ :P

You can go with AMD, 60% of the time the card will give you trouble from the start. They tried to rush the shit out the door for the miners, now most of the cards are shit now.

I have AMD and i have no problems, so ya.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

In some places electricity costs quite a bit. 20+c per kwH, adds up over a year.

It's quiet.

It's very overclockable.

nVidia's feature-set is nice.

Not much heat output.

Pretty compelling reasons for me, even though I do like team Red, too.

For me the decision came down to

1. I can play lightly loaded games (e.g. LoL) on the 970 and have it run passively. I'm a bit of a noise freak.
  2. Gamestream.
  3. With my PSU, I could SLI 2 OCed 970s, but not 2 OCed 290s.

And on the Asus R9 290 DirectCU II, while not all of their heat pipes make contact, the entire GPU core is still covered by heat pipe.  So while many will argue that it's "bad," the temperatures that most reviewers see are right in like with the "good" coolers.  Yes, it's sub-optimal, but it's marginally so.

I can explain the engineering and physics to you if you want (and if I have the time).

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

I have no problem with 290x in crossfire... I just prefer to have GTX Titans in SLI instead. 

that is not even remotely true

do you have any evidence for that

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

I like to think that I'm not a close minded person, but I have yet to hear a legit reason other than price (you pay more, you get more = win-win) why the 290/290X is better.

but that is what makes the 290 so much better for a lot of people.  you can get a new 290 for almost $100 less than a new 970, and it performs almost the same.

the 970 is slightly better and has much lower power consumption, but I personally don't think that is worth $100

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Power consumption relates to heat generation.  The more power your GPU pulls the more heat you have to get rid of.  If you have a big case and great air flow then I wouldn't worry too much and go with what your wallet tells you.

On the other hand if you have a packed (or small) case then pay attention.  Higher temperature means a shorter lifetime for electronics.

Lower power also means your system should be able to run quieter . . .  again if that doesn't matter to you then save the $$$$

And on the Asus R9 290 DirectCU II, while not all of their heat pipes make contact, the entire GPU core is still covered by heat pipe.  So while many will argue that it's "bad," the temperatures that most reviewers see are right in like with the "good" coolers.  Yes, it's sub-optimal, but it's marginally so.

I can explain the engineering and physics to you if you want (and if I have the time).

in the videos, reviews, and benchmarks i've seen, the direct CU2 appears to be hotter than any other aftermarket 290's

but that is what makes the 290 so much better for a lot of people.  you can get a new 290 for almost $100 less than a new 970, and it performs almost the same.

the 970 is slightly better and has much lower power consumption, but I personally don't think that is worth $100

I wouldn't consider 12 to 20 fps in almost every game at my resolution of choice (1080p) 'slightly better'. Anyway, even if we exclude the better performance and say it's a weak argument..

Ultimately my point is, if you don't feel the lower TDP is worth the higher price tag that's fine. I respect that. Respect that other's do find it worth it and don't go on and on because other's don't see it the same way.

Everybody's situation is different and eventually they will get what suits their needs and budget.

well if you find a average to high priced 970 to the lowest cost 290 the performance will not be the same especially if your over-clocking the price to performance is very close but in the future the 970 will edge out the 290 so you decide if the extra 50 $ on comparable cards is worth it i think it is.