Tablets and virtual workstations to replace PC's?

Hikaru12

One of the PC's lead engineers, Mark Dean says "what people need is already mostly covered by the functional capacities and capabilities delivered by a tablet. If on occasion I “need” more capability I can pay for it as needed (or get it for free) through web-based services. These incremental capabilities include storage, applications, gaming, news feeds, media content and processing services. Moderate to high-speed internet connectivity is sufficient for most “needs” beyond what can be delivered through a “standalone” tablet or smartphone client.

I also see the demise of the smartphones via “wearable devices”, and the demise of the tablets via “virtual workstations”. Most of this capability will be enabled via 3D I/O devices, projection technologies and the ability to handle media data like text. "

Read the full article here: LINK

What do you guys make of this? Do you think PC sales will continue to decline? Will we see the replacement of the PC/keyboard anytime soon? I don't see touch or speech devices becoming as efficient as keyboards unless they were 100% accurate. I do agree with Dean's argument that basically we are moving to lighter, mobile devices without the complications of corded technology. The internet is removing a lot of the "heavy work" that once had to be accomplished by the end user (e.g. storage, file processing, etc.). Although, I begin to fear this too because I'm afraid that we'd be handing over most of our own power to do what we want with our data to companies who are then subject to being hacked or sharing their information without our knowledge. 

Nope. I don't think tablets can harness the full power that PCs can. They just can't.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But PC sales are going up... Who told you they were declining?

They are going up, but tablets and laptops are starting to dominate the market. People just want portability over power. Sad. So sad.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But PC sales are going up... Who told you they were declining?

PC's have been in decline for three years. Only recently has the decline been reversed a tad. It seems like the internet is taking most of the need out of what we need from our devices including being able to do all the things we currently do on our end like listen to music, processing files, etc.

They are going up, but tablets and laptops are starting to dominate the market. People just want portability over power. Sad. So sad.

Maybe the general consumer I suppose but for enthusiasts I don't think PC's are going anywhere especially with tablets still being quite a ways behind in power. I mean laptops are getting there (especially now with Maxwell's Mobile GPU's being close to the desktop ones) but they are still a magnitude more expensive than a PC.

For general consumers, yes, to an extent. Gaming through online services works, but is nowhere near good enough to replace a desktop for games with high res textures and such. 

For "workstations", no way. A tablet can't hold a candle to a 6 core, hyperthreaded workstation, even if it's using some online service. 

In the future, sure, tablets and other portable devices will likely replace the desktop and workstation once they become more powerful and online based compute services become more efficient and effective. 

Right now, they don't provide what content creators and heavy content consumers need. 

Maybe the general consumer I suppose but for enthusiasts I don't think PC's are going anywhere especially with tablets still being quite a ways behind in power. I mean laptops are getting there (especially now with Maxwell's Mobile GPU's being close to the desktop ones) but they are still a magnitude more expensive than a PC.

Yeah, but the number of general consumers outnumbers us enthusiasts.

PC's have been in decline for three years. Only recently has the decline been reversed a tad. It seems like the internet is taking most of the need out of what we need from our devices including being able to do all the things we currently do on our end like listen to music, processing files, etc.

This year alone the PC market was extremely profitable. Tablets just aren't anywhere near powerful enough to replace them. Maybe for general consumers but general consumers don't really need the power of a PC for what they are doing.

Yeah, but the number of general consumers outnumbers us enthusiasts.

True but there are still A LOT of enthusiasts. On here alone there are what, 100,000 members? That's just those that sign up here there are probably hundreds of thousands more who have never even heard of Linus.

Nope. I don't think tablets can harness the full power that PCs can. They just can't.

But a tablet can stream. When internet is more advanced you could have like dedicated servers full of GPU power that you pay like a yearly subscription to and stream to a much thinner tablet - basically renting a computer from afar.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

True but there are still A LOT of enthusiasts. On here alone there are what, 100,000 members? That's just those that sign up here there are probably hundreds of thousands more who have never even heard of Linus.

But count how many general consumers there are. Hundreds of millions.

But a tablet can stream. When internet is more advanced you could have like dedicated servers full of GPU power that you pay like a yearly subscription to and stream to a much thinner tablet - basically renting a computer from afar.

That requires ISP's to actually upgrade their network infrastructure which they refuse to do. If tablets are solely dependent on cloud computing to replace PC's they have a very long way to go.

I'm just saying PC's won't necessarily be replaced for anything like high-end workstations and things since those tend to be owned by enthusiasts. With the great number of them there are (though smaller than that of the general consumer base) enthusiast PC hardware will still hold a decent market share and continue to be developed for.

For which the tablet could already work fine for, and in a more demanding environment it could stream games / professional apps.

That requires ISP's to actually upgrade their network infrastructure which they refuse to do. If tablets are solely dependent on cloud computing to replace PC's they have a very long way to go.

Maybe in the states, but our ISP is nice here, I say ISP because there is only one in the whole country and it's amazing. $20/month for 20mb down 15mb up + Router + 30 Cable channels. No BS at all.

Maybe in the states, but our ISP is nice here, I say ISP because there is only one in the whole country and it's amazing. $20/month for 20mb down 15mb up + Router + 30 Cable channels. No BS at all.

The U.S. is a fairly large market share though too.

Tablets are a lot harder to work on. You have to find a stable surface to place the tablet on in order to type with two hands and they lack the computing power of laptops.

Desktop sales are going down but component sales are rising.

Desktop delivers the best gaming experience

#pcmasterrace

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

How dare you!! ISP here is 25$/month for 1mb Downspeed and 100kb Upspeed!

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

Nope. People like gamers, video editors and 3D designers are still going to need desktops.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I think desktops will still be used by gamers, video makers, 3d modellers etc, but for "normal" people laptops, tablets and a mix between those two e.g. surface will be enough

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

It's bogus. Tablets/phablets/phones etc. are going to plateau, probably quite soon. Once saturation hits then all the "brave new world" scenarios will fall by the wayside as people find that as content consumers, these things are fine but once you actually have to *use* them, they are a headache and not a PC replacement. Content creation is more demanding than these things can do on a comfortable basis. Suddenly the laptops come back, the desktop stays relevant and they will want something else to dazzle you with. 

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

With more and more network capability, there may be a new era of terminals ahead thanks to grid computing.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Holy shit I just had deja vu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4JIg-68gghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4JIg-68gg

For general consumers that just use computers for casual games, videos, music, and internet surfing, mobile devices are just fine for them.

But for serious gamers and people who video/photo edit, and render like LMG, YOU NEED A DESKTOP.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

a lot of those members are those fuckers who sign up for giveaways and never come back

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.