Reliable good value NAS Drives

Ginge620
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

So im looking at getting a Synology DS215J and some drives.

I am a fan of WD and always bought WD, currenly i have 2 backs 500GB + a 3TB Red, never had issues.

I was looking at putting two 4TB Reds in the NAS but come across a couple of bad reviews with the being DOA.

What do people suggest, go with Reds or another brand?

Hey Ginge620,

Thanks for the support and for trusting WD :)
Synology have a compatibility list with tested drives that work and should be reliable. My suggestion is to pick a NAS/RAID class drive that has the additional features such as TLER and VCT for smoother and safer performance.
WD Red drives are good for this as they have a number of features and are fully compatible with the DS215J.
Regardless of the manufacturer or the manufacturing process itself, any drive (regardless of the brand, model or purpose) can turn out to be DOA, but you can always go for a RMA procedure. :)

Captain_WD.

I am a fan of WD and always bought WD, currenly i have 2 backs 500GB + a 3TB Red, never had issues.

I was looking at putting two 4TB Reds in the NAS but come across a couple of bad reviews with the being DOA.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

Anything can be doa.

WD Reds are good.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As @WoodenMarker said, any drive can be DOA.

I would suggest you get either a WD Red or a Seagate NAS drive, both are good so get whichever is cheaper.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Hey Ginge620,

Thanks for the support and for trusting WD :)
Synology have a compatibility list with tested drives that work and should be reliable. My suggestion is to pick a NAS/RAID class drive that has the additional features such as TLER and VCT for smoother and safer performance.
WD Red drives are good for this as they have a number of features and are fully compatible with the DS215J.
Regardless of the manufacturer or the manufacturing process itself, any drive (regardless of the brand, model or purpose) can turn out to be DOA, but you can always go for a RMA procedure. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/