Best Headphones / Headset for Gaming? $0 - $350 Budget

RenzoRaptor

For the past 4 or so months I've been using the Shure i315 IEMs as my go to audio for my PC since my Razer Kraken broke. I felt these are good for listening to music and movies but I also thought these weren't enough for gaming. It wouldn't give my investments justice. I would like to ask the community what in their opinion the best Headphone / Headset for Gaming , Music and Movie Viewing is? My budget is around $0 - $350. Thanks! LinusTechTips Forum!

(Side Note: Sorry for my English if it's horrible)

For the past 4 or so months I've been using the Shure i315 IEMs as my go to audio for my PC since my Razer Kraken broke. I felt these are good for listening to music and movies but I also thought these weren't enough for gaming. It wouldn't give my investments justice. I would like to ask the community what in their opinion the best Headphone / Headset for Gaming , Music and Movie Viewing is? My budget is around $0 - $350. Thanks! LinusTechTips Forum!

the kingston hyper x cloud are great also consider berrydynamics for that high budget

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and a mic. 
The other suggestion, that the guys above mentioned, are also good but the HiFiMAN are ridiculously heavy and the hyperx clouds are not that great in this budget. 
I can also recommend the HD600, which i also love for gaming, specially when there are gun fires. 

HiFiMAN are ridiculously heavy

after having them for 1 week i didnt even notice the weight.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

AudioTechnica ATH M50(x) and a Blue Snowball or Yeti

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If it's open does the headphone sound bleed?

If you have table mic and listen at sensible sound levels it wont, but it might with a modmic.

I've been using the mod mic for some time now and you really cant go wrong with it, its price point is great for also picking up a solid pair of headphones. doing it this way i feel you get way more for your money than you would from any sort of gaming headset

after having them for 1 week i didnt even notice the weight.

That's good for you, but there are many people that complain about their weight. It might not be a problem, but i had to mention it. I was thinking buying the HD600 or the HE-400 and i chose the HD600 and i am really glad for my choise. 

I love my Astro A50's and my friend has the A40's. Great sound.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

You can go as crazy as you want, but with a good sound card even a pair of inexpensive but extremely comfortable and well-built Pioneer SE-M290 sound more than satisfactory and produce minimum sound leak. I wear them for hours and since the earmuffs are not leather/man-made leather but a felt-like material they don't "slip" or become "sweaty" or "sticky". I have been using these for last five years and they sound great for gaming and music. 

If you are rolling in cash, there are abundant options. In that case, I'd say get one specifically for gaming. I'd suggest http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/568b166395264eb0/index.html

my hd555 from sennheiser are really great, the newer 558 are just as good and they fixed a few things. So I would grab those and a mic of your choice

@RenzoRaptor   I agree.  We have an A40.  From what I can tell the A50s are the same, but for people that are opposed to a wire.   They're comfortable and sound real nice. 

DON'T get the ATH m50, there are soooo many better headphones, stay away from closed headphones unless you live in a kindergarden. Get open headphones instead, TekSyndicate did a great video on headphones and gaming headsets a few days ago, check it out!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

@RenzoRaptor   I agree.  We have an A40.  From what I can tell the A50s are the same, but for people that are opposed to a wire.   They're comfortable and sound real nice. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPE.

Sorry but before i discovered the way a few months ago i had 2 pairs of turtle beaches 3 steelseries 2 pairs of A40s and a pair of A30s over a few years.. And i can confidently say the a40s are a complete ripoff. My current Beyerdynamic 770s destroy them in quality AND are cheaper including a modmic in the cost. 

To OP, for that pricerange if you go for beyer,Hifiman,Sennheiser and slap a modmic on it you cant really go wrong. The majority of headphones in that pricerange from those brands are incredibly good quality.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPE.

Sorry but before i discovered the way a few months ago i had 2 pairs of turtle beaches 3 steelseries 2 pairs of A40s and a pair of A30s over a few years.. And i can confidently say the a40s are a complete ripoff. 

That's the great thing about opinions -- every body has one and they're all right.  :)  

That's the great thing about opinions -- every body has one and they're all right.   :)

Oh so my opinion is that the 560ti is more powerful than the 980 am i right? 

The astros are objectively worse than a lot of similarly priced headphones. Im not talking about preference im talking literal sound quality. 

The astros are objectively worse than a lot of similarly priced headphones. Im not talking about preference im talking literal sound quality.

I'm glad you think that. Having opinions is what keeps the market interesting and companies innovating. If every one thought the same thing, we'd all buy the same headphones and opinions wouldn't matter.

Oh so my opinion is that the 560ti is more powerful than the 980 am i right? 

Computational power/speed is a bit different and more factual the perceived sound quality of mid and high end headphones. Everyone has different ears, so they all hear things differently and prefer different types of sounds. To be honest, someone could even prefer walmart heaphones for hi fidelity ones, its a preference thing  :)

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

And on the topic, I'd recommend Sennheiser HD598, right in the middle of your price range, and I really enjoy them.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"