Horrible positional and sound in general, HyperX Cloud and Xonar Phoebus.

FrizerIce

Hello !

This is very important to me, so please try to help me as much as you can ! bigsmile_face.gif

I've been using the G930 by Logitech for around 2 years and I really really liked them . I mainly play CS:GO and could really point out the position of my enemies.

The positional sound on the G930 is really good in my opinion, and that is the most important thing to me when I play.

1 Week ago I got my ASUS Xonar Phoebus and Kingston HyperX Cloud, as an upgrade to the G930 headset.

The experience I had in the past week is truly horrible audio-wise.

With default settings, the positional sound very bad compared to the G930. I can't hear enemies coming from any direction, and I am extremely based on my vision.

I tried tweaking a lot of stuff in the Phoebus software like Xear Surround Headphones (where you can choose the room size), Dolby Home Theater V4, Sample rates and more.

I feel like the sound is coming out of the center of my head, which annoys me very much and makes music listening disturbing to me.

The Xear surround is horrible, it changes your audio completely and I can't bare playing with it on.

The Dolby Home Theater doesn't do much good either. I tried presets of some people but never got the sound I wanted, not even close.

I am really confused and a bit angry, as I just can't get the sound I had before.

You might ask yourself what I am using now. Well now I use some mixed settings (Home Theater with surround headphones [and that's it] and regular sample rates (I can't hear a difference anyway).

I really need help with this, as I need to know if I want to return it (which is a big problem in where I live) or maybe you guys can help me find the sound I am looking for.

I will be so happy and thankful if I get my "issue" fixed, as I am very disappointed and confused.

Thanks a lot, Ofir. 

Try plugging the headset into onboard instead of your sound card. Let's see if that helps.

I can't differentiate between the sounds, maybe by a little bit.

I can't differentiate between the sounds, maybe by a little bit.

maybe you got bad hyperx cloud 

maybe you got bad hyperx cloud 

maybe, even tho I do notice a difference on high volumes .. the hyperx keeps the sound clear and doesn't blow up like the logitech .. hard to believe I got a bad pair

First, try turning off all effects (ALL), including automatic volume limiter (I think that's what Asus calls it). Set the output to 2 channels or 'headphone'. Then start a game, go to sound options, and set it to 'headphone' or 2 channels. See if that works.

Hyperx cloud is a closed headphone, so the positional audio most probably gets a bit muddied by the echoes inside the closed cup. 

I've tried gaming with Xear and hated it. I kinda hate all forms of sound widening and virtualizations
Open backed and never looking back at software expansion effects

I come from a competitive CS:Source and CS:GO background. I've found that every time I've switched headsets I had the same general impressions as you. Hard to hear where anything is coming from. I don't know how long you've had the headset for but try and give it some time. If it still sounds like trash after a couple days try playing around with the EQ to see if you can get it any better. I've heard decent things about the Hyper X headset... but they could all be lies! You ears are so used to hearing the game in a certain way, and when you change that it could take some time for your brain to compensate. 

I come from a competitive CS:Source and CS:GO background. I've found that every time I've switched headsets I had the same general impressions as you. Hard to hear where anything is coming from. I don't know how long you've had the headset for but try and give it some time. If it still sounds like trash after a couple days try playing around with the EQ to see if you can get it any better. I've heard decent things about the Hyper X headset... but they could all be lies! You ears are so used to hearing the game in a certain way, and when you change that it could take some time for your brain to compensate. 

I really can't bear not having surround sound on, I get the sound from the middle of my head, and can't get to know where enemies are .. I heard people say that surround sound and virtualization is bad and stereo is the way to go. I can't hear anything with stereo.

Why "upgrade" if you really liked what you were using already.

General hype train

Why "upgrade" if you really liked what you were using already.

worn out exterior

worn out exterior

Grab an AD-700X and just plug them straight to on-board audio, no wonky surround sound effect, no EQ, nothing.

If you're still having the same "everything feels it comes from the middle", you need to adjust yourself to a pure stereo, gimmicky software surround sound just broke your perception of positioning