what is haswell refresh?

Chibify
Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

compatibility

Not entirely right. While they will work on Z87 boards, they will work ONLY if the bios is updated to a new enough version. It's a safe assumption that haswell-refresh will not work with Z87 out of the box.

-snip-

Haswell Refresh is a re-launch of the Haswell CPU's due to an issue discovered when actually using it. The TIM, Thermal Interface Material, was changed in such a way that heat transfer from the CPU die to the Integrated heat spreader was inhibited by a large amount. This caused very high temperatures on high loads even with great CPU coolers such as the Noctua NH-D15, Corsair H100i or even custom loops. Haswell-Refresh set this straight.

This opportunity was also used to refine the CPU making process, slightly increasing consistency and increasing overall quality, meaning higher overclocks on average and higher stock speeds (As seen that between the 4770k and 4790k there is a 0.5GHz difference). I do believe this opportunity was also used to add a few extras but don't quote me on that.

Yes - same socket and compatibility, but some efficiency and heat output improvements I believe.

is it just an update on the haswell CPUs?

Better overclocking on them

Improved TIM between the CPU die and the HIS

Clocked higher stock.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

compatibility

Not entirely right. While they will work on Z87 boards, they will work ONLY if the bios is updated to a new enough version. It's a safe assumption that haswell-refresh will not work with Z87 out of the box.

-snip-

Haswell Refresh is a re-launch of the Haswell CPU's due to an issue discovered when actually using it. The TIM, Thermal Interface Material, was changed in such a way that heat transfer from the CPU die to the Integrated heat spreader was inhibited by a large amount. This caused very high temperatures on high loads even with great CPU coolers such as the Noctua NH-D15, Corsair H100i or even custom loops. Haswell-Refresh set this straight.

This opportunity was also used to refine the CPU making process, slightly increasing consistency and increasing overall quality, meaning higher overclocks on average and higher stock speeds (As seen that between the 4770k and 4790k there is a 0.5GHz difference). I do believe this opportunity was also used to add a few extras but don't quote me on that.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yes - same socket and compatibility, but some efficiency and heat output improvements I believe.

It's also called Haswell-E

Haswell-E is in reference to X99, not the Haswell "refresh" CPU's.

Devil's Canyon is in reference to refresh. i.e. 4690k/4790k as well as down the locked i-line.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

It's also called Haswell-E

"Haswell-E" refers to the even newer X99-based processors: i7-5820K and up.

Haswell refresh is an informal name for Devil's Canyon, the i7-4790K and i5-4690K and new Z97/H97 chipsets.

You need a bios update to use the haswell refresh cpus right?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

You need a bios update to use the haswell refresh cpus right?

8-series boards (Z87, H87, H81, etc.) need a BIOS update to work with Haswell refresh CPUs, yes. H97/Z97 chipsets don't need a BIOS update.

"Haswell-E" refers to the even newer X99-based processors: i7-5820K and up.

Haswell refresh is an informal name for Devil's Canyon, the i7-4790K and i5-4690K and new Z97/H97 chipsets.

Oh, oops! Post edited :P

8-series boards (Z87, H87, H81, etc.) need a BIOS update to work with Haswell refresh CPUs, yes. H97/Z97 chipsets don't need a BIOS update.

people told me that the MSI z97 gd-65 won't work with i3-4150

I'm thinking of using the MSI Gaming 5 along with an i5 4690k, I've read in multiple different places that this board, even though it's z97 needs a bios update to work with Haswell refresh.

I've found many builds that use these parts with no apparent problem though.

Does anyone know if this poses a problem still? Or have the newer boards been updated, so the ones in box work with these newer cpus

Thanks

• 8 years later...
On 12/10/2014 at 11:27 AM, Archangel1994 said:

Joined LTT after dying with laughter because of this. Should have 3200MT/s (double) memory bandwidth, better TIM, and might have even fixed faulty uarch. I have several 4570s that crash, haven't received complaints from Xeon E3 1271 v3 upgrades with identical motherboard. (maybe Haswell just runs better with ucode updates, broadwell reboot issue? idk)