[CAN] Recommend a closed-back, ~$150 set of headphones?

Planning on gifting a friend a set of headphones for the holidays since I know his current one is dying and so I'm looking to spend about ~$150 but I don't mind going up to $200 (I'd prefer to keep it lower however; he's not that great a friend :P ).

He shares a space with others so I believe he'd prefer closed-back to not bother others. Detachable cables are also preferred since I know they also have pets and I always hear him complaining about worn or damaged cables. He mainly games and listens to music so I don't think he needs anything over the top; he doesn't need a mic either since he has a discrete one already.

So far, I've looked at the Shure SRH440, SRH840, Sennheiser HD 439 and Audio-Technica ANC-ATH7b.

I would appreciate any advice; thanks!

ATH-M40X

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I like my Sony MDR 1R and they should be within your budget. ( I don't claim to be an audiophile tho. I have used T90s for 6 months or so but I got really bored of the almost analytical sound)

Sony MDR-V6 or MDR7506?  EDIT: Oh... forgot... Non detachable coiled cable. 
But the audio technica M40X & M50X are also good options.

I would say Audio Technica M40x's because they're basically cheaper m50xs, but people will bite my head off because it's such an overrated product.

Tek Syndicate has some great videos on it.

I like my Sony MDR 1R and they should be within your budget. ( I don't claim to be an audiophile tho. I have used T90s for 6 months or so but I got really bored of the almost analytical sound)

+1 for this. One of the best sounding closed headphone in its price range.

Out of those, I'd get the Shure SRH440 and get the 840 pads. Sounds almost identical, and costs less.

I don't like the M40x everyone keeps talking about because the pads are too small for me, they are almost on-ear, and the pads get really stiff over time, which the 840 pads don't, I've had them for 10 months or so now and they're still as soft as when I got them.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Based on Canadian pricing, my vote goes to HD439. SRH440 and M40X as runners up.

Out of those, I'd get the Shure SRH440 and get the 840 pads. Sounds almost identical, and costs less.

I don't like the M40x everyone keeps talking about because the pads are too small for me, they are almost on-ear, and the pads get really stiff over time, which the 840 pads don't, I've had them for 10 months or so now and they're still as soft as when I got them.

The X pads are supposed to remain supple - are you contesting this?

Based on Canadian pricing, my vote goes to HD439. SRH440 and M40X as runners up.

The X pads are supposed to remain supple - are you contesting this?

forgot about that

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Since those are priced relatively the same, cost-aside, which would then be the most favoured? Or did you already mean that.

As for the Sony MDR1R that others mentioned in here, all I'm finding are pricing ranging at $210+ which is sort of what I wanted to avoid so I don't think I'll be opting for that as the gift.

I remembered that my pal used an ASUS Vulcan ANC headset (sans mic) and so I suppose whichever of the above's fit comes close to that would be best. 

Since those are priced relatively the same, cost-aside, which would then be the most favoured? Or did you already mean that.

Yeah that's what I meant. 439 should be the most comfortable, and the bass is adjustable through an easy mod.

And not generally available in Canada for such a bargain price. 

WTF UR AWAKE RITE NOW?

ts nob

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089